BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
sbash
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 Donington Grey X5 M

Launch Control functionality

I was under the impression that when using launch control, torque was not applied to the drivetrain until letting off the brake. When I use it, it functions similar to "brake torquing" a vehicle. From what I can tell, launch control only changes the shift program, shifting earlier and faster when gong through the gears.

I'm fairly sure that I'm entering into launch control because it gives me a light indicting that it is enabled. My procedure is: drive the car several miles to get it warmed up, put transmission into S3, starting in 1st gear, hold brake and quickly depress the accelerator to the floor.

As soon as I apply throttle, even though it shows that I'm in launch mode, the car lunges immediately. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

I haven't tried this yet on my car, so i'm not sure whether that is normal or not, however I thought you also had to be in MDM?

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
sbash
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 Donington Grey X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
I haven't tried this yet on my car, so i'm not sure whether that is normal or not, however I thought you also had to be in MDM?
Oh yeah, you are correct. I have M2 programmed for the MDM change. I just forgot to put that in the steps.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

I wonder if it's the fact that it is not a true DCT transmission.

My Audi SQ5 was similar in that it had too much torque for the DSG gearbox.

Therefore when you used Launch Control, it acted as you describe.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #5
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Hold the footbrake down hard and it will hold the M and the rpm will settle around 2700. Then let it rip.....
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:31 AM   #6
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbash
I was under the impression that when using launch control, torque was not applied to the drivetrain until letting off the brake. When I use it, it functions similar to "brake torquing" a vehicle. From what I can tell, launch control only changes the shift program, shifting earlier and faster when gong through the gears.

I'm fairly sure that I'm entering into launch control because it gives me a light indicting that it is enabled. My procedure is: drive the car several miles to get it warmed up, put transmission into S3, starting in 1st gear, hold brake and quickly depress the accelerator to the floor.

As soon as I apply throttle, even though it shows that I'm in launch mode, the car lunges immediately. Is this normal?
It's normal. I experienced the same thing over and over
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbash View Post

You are correct. It's "brake torquing" which is called Launch Control by BMW marketing. In fact Launch Control is kinda meaningless here since there is no clutch involved to drop the torque (an power) down at certain RPM where the maximum torque is available... If you try the launch control with proper clutch based transmission (such as M5/M6 DCT) you can see the difference... it's totally different feeling
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0