BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Inconsequential BMW Rant

I've been looking around for lightly used x5's for a little bit now. There have been a few that are very close to what I want but only a handful have had ventilated seats!

Why BMW? Why can't you just make ventilated seats standard across the lineup? Why do you hoard them like gold? Why do you reserve them as standard equipment for only the 7-series as if you believe that only those privileged buyers are worthy of having their butts and backs cooled for no additional fee?

I think it's safe to say that once a feature is standard or readily available in brands at all price levels, not including them in a 'luxury' vehicle just comes off as cheap. The last couple of BMW dealers I visited were trying to 'brag' about features that my MIL has in her $25K Hyundai!

Don't even get me started on treating body-colored cladding as an 'extra' on a $60K+ vehicle.

Rant over. I'll be OK. Just needed to vent. I'm sure I'll enjoy the power windows that BMW thoughtfully provides as standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Maybe this will make you feel better...But FYI most would agree that the vent seats suck on the F15 models.
I would test one out before considering it.
      03-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
aw305
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC Alpine White

The vented seats are horrible. No cooling at all
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

You are asking a lot, backup camera is not even standard on a 60k car until the government forces them to make it standard next year, this is where BMW makes all the money, the car has like 40k of options on a car with a 55k base - crazy!

I don't find them horrible, they are similar to other ventilated seats I have used, they are not air conditioned seats, they are ventilated seats and move air that is at the temperature of the air coming from the dash vents through the seat, same in the winter, the seats are heated, if you turn on the ventilation, it will just move the air through the seat which is warmer due to the seat heating.

Really is just designed to keep your ass from sticking to the seat, but not to make you cold - works as designed in my book.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...at_ventilation

Rob
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
You are asking a lot, backup camera is not even standard on a 60k car until the government forces them to make it standard next year, this is where BMW makes all the money, the car has like 40k of options on a car with a 55k base - crazy!

Rob
Also, options that are standard on Hondas and the like do not come close in quality to the same options on our X5. My backup camera, though I had to pay for it, is 1000 times better in resolution and quality than my 2015 Honda Accords.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
tripleog
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

It's total balony how BMW does the option sheet. For my old Audi, you do 1 package, the Prestige Package, and you get heated/ventilated seats, LED headlights, park assist, BLIS, back up camera, 4 zone climate control, heated side view mirrors etc. BMW has everything so separated it just is absurd. And for and $80k SUV it should have amazing ventilated seats, LED's, and the works all as part of the Executive package. I shouldn't have needed the Executive, Cold Weather, Lighting and Drivers Assistance package just to get pretty basic luxury options. That's 4 total packages and it still didn't have ventilated seats. That comes as a stand alone option. WTF?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Try to going through Porsche options and you will come to the conclusion that BMW is kind - after getting a headache. A cayenne is dirt cheap until you start adding options. This is how they make their money by making options like comfort access, etc.

Making these options expensive essentially subsidize less-optioned cars so they can sell more cars. Remember they sell more of the standard package than any other configuration.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw305 View Post
The vented seats are horrible. No cooling at all

I borrowed a friend's new Dodge Ram Dually in Laramie trim ... she tows a fifth wheel
horse trailer with it ... it had air conditioned seats... the first time I've ever tried them in
any vehicle ... I didn't like the sensation ... the cold on my back and butt felt like I had wet
my pants and it felt ... gross!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:59 AM   #9
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I like ventilated seats, but if you spill anything, you're screwed.

BTW ventilated seats are extra on the Bentayga. That's what I call baloney. Oh HUD and the radar stuff is $7000 option, but you get all terrain air suspension. Go figure. Oh if you order a standard paint color, you get this cheap grey color (they call it tech grey) around the car on the lower trims. Extra if you want it painted same color as car. So don't feel bad if BMW wants to charge extra for ventilated seats and they're not even asking for much.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 03:58 AM   #10
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Many owners here skipped the vent seat option. The seat is harder and less cushioned because of the extra hardware in the seat.

The upgrade to vent seats is only $50.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:54 AM   #11
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Our biggest problem with BMW vented seats is that they don't work all that well.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearenh View Post
I borrowed a friend's new Dodge Ram Dually in Laramie trim ... she tows a fifth wheel
horse trailer with it ... it had air conditioned seats... the first time I've ever tried them in
any vehicle ... I didn't like the sensation ... the cold on my back and butt felt like I had wet
my pants and it felt ... gross!
That's cause you're in New Hampshire

Here in the Mid-Atlantic & lower Northeast, it's hard to go back to non-ventilated seats once you've had them in our relatively humid summers. Nothing better than coming off the golf course in August and getting that cool behind breeze on the ride home.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #13
vince7870
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m azurite black metalic

Mine suck I went to dealer thinking they were bad n my 2016 f85. They told me they're working fine! Fine? It's like a mouse has an oriental fam trying to cool my ass! I call bullshit! But since I love everything else......I guess my rant is over!
Appreciate 0