R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Storing brake fluid

I have changed my OEM brake fluid last summer to Castrol SRF using one of those pressurized brake bleeders. I ended up having 3/4 of the second bottle left in the pressurized container.
Now before the season I want to bleed the brakes. Knowing that the brake fluid tends to absorb moisture, can I use the leftovers that were stored in the container? It was stored airtight, however there was also a lot of air in it.
Or should I rather get rid of it and just use a fresh new bottle?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
I have changed my OEM brake fluid last summer to Castrol SRF using one of those pressurized brake bleeders. I ended up having 3/4 of the second bottle left in the pressurized container.
Now before the season I want to bleed the brakes. Knowing that the brake fluid tends to absorb moisture, can I use the leftovers that were stored in the container? It was stored airtight, however there was also a lot of air in it.
Although SRF is one of the best at fending off moisture it is still best to use a fresh bottle especially the open bottle has been in storage for a while(I assume one year).
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Now before the season I want to bleed the brakes. Knowing that the brake fluid tends to absorb moisture, can I use the leftovers that were stored in the container?
You can use it, but it has spent the last 9 months sitting in the tank, absorbing moisture. So the fluid's boiling point is now closer to the "wet" boiling temperature level than "dry".

Quote:
It was stored airtight, however there was also a lot of air in it.
If your budget allows, I would throw old fluid away and open a new bottle.

In the future, if you have more than 1/2 of a bottle left, you could pour it back into the original bottle, cover the top with plastic film, and screw the cap back on. Or just throw it away, to be safe ;-).

a
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
Now before the season I want to bleed the brakes. Knowing that the brake fluid tends to absorb moisture, can I use the leftovers that were stored in the container?
You can use it, but it has spent the last 9 months sitting in the tank, absorbing moisture. So the fluid's boiling point is now closer to the "wet" boiling temperature level than "dry".

Quote:
It was stored airtight, however there was also a lot of air in it.
If your budget allows, I would throw old fluid away and open a new bottle.

In the future, if you have more than 1/2 of a bottle left, you could pour it back into the original bottle, cover the top with plastic film, and screw the cap back on. Or just throw it away, to be safe ;-).

a
Thanks, I already replaced it with new juice. It's a bad item to be saving money on if you track.))
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Thanks, I already replaced it with new juice. It's a bad item to be saving money on if you track.))
Very true.
Appreciate 0