BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-26-2016, 02:48 AM   #1
DuWerk
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DKG

Help me identify this noise

Hey guys,

I'm a long time lurker and decided to register to see if I can get some input, hope to stay around for very long.

I just acquired this E92 M3, its a 09/2008 with around 50k miles. I did a PPI and the only issue I run into was a noise, that since the first moment sounded like an exhaust leak (at the exhaust manifold).

The car runs well, pulls hard and except for the noise, it is is in mint condition.

Onto the noise, it's like a clicking/squeaking noise a bad belt tensioner would make, comes from the passenger side of the engine and hasn't really become worse since I purchased the car, I have put around 700 miles on it.

I have done some research and listened to about every video of clicking/ticking noises, knocking rod bearings and all of that and it just does not sound similar to any video I have watched.

I removed the passenger side exhaust manifold heat shields so I could inspect the area but can't see anything abnormal, there really isn't much to see without removing the metallic belly pan anyways. One thing I have noticed is a little higher pitch since I removed the heat shields, but I am not 100% sure about this.

The car idles between 500 and 550 rpms which I think is bit low. And comparing it to a friend's, it shakes a bit when idling. You can definitely hear the noise at idle (sometimes, especially when it's at 500) and until it reaches 1900 rpms or so, under load is a bit more noticeable, with the windows up is way more difficult to hear.

Here is a link to the video I recorded, I hope I can get some input and help others that might have the same issue.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0