Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Question Android vs iOS on iDrive

I have an iPhone SE and a Galaxy S7. I am using the Galaxy S7 now just because of its superb camera but my concern is, in every video of an M4 where they talk about technology and stuff, they have it paired with an iPhone. Is there any reason for that? Does IOS work better in BMW cars or are they both good? I still prefer Android Personally as I don't have to use the cappy iTunes to manage my music but can simply copy/paste music

Another question is, does the BMW M4 have a built in HID for storing songs or is that 20 GB had only used for iDrive and storing maps?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

I have never understood why people think iTunes is crappy. I have been using it for longer than I can remember and it works perfect.

I don't believe either system works better in the BMW. At the moment, the iPhone 7 and iOS 10 don't seem to pair well on Bluetooth with the BMW system. There is a solution coming, but it isn't out yet. I do know that Apple CarPlay is available in the 2017 models. I don't know if Android Auto is coming as well, at least I don't remember seeing anything about it. But CarPlay will make using an iPhone in the car better than using either system without it. You can also check with the retrofit thread if you're interested in getting Apple CarPlay in a '15 or '16 model.
      10-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
I have never understood why people think iTunes is crappy. I have been using it for longer than I can remember and it works perfect.

I don't believe either system works better in the BMW. At the moment, the iPhone 7 and iOS 10 don't seem to pair well on Bluetooth with the BMW system. There is a solution coming, but it isn't out yet. I do know that Apple CarPlay is available in the 2017 models. I don't know if Android Auto is coming as well, at least I don't remember seeing anything about it. But CarPlay will make using an iPhone in the car better than using either system without it. You can also check with the retrofit thread if you're interested in getting Apple CarPlay in a '15 or '16 model.
Its just easier to copy/paste your stuff like a normal file Explorer vs iTunes

Also. What about my 2nd question about the HID Storage in the car?

I have a 2017 M4
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
I have an iPhone SE and a Galaxy S7. I am using the Galaxy S7 now just because of its superb camera but my concern is, in every video of an M4 where they talk about technology and stuff, they have it paired with an iPhone. Is there any reason for that? Does IOS work better in BMW cars or are they both good? I still prefer Android Personally as I don't have to use the cappy iTunes to manage my music but can simply copy/paste music

Another question is, does the BMW M4 have a built in HID for storing songs or is that 20 GB had only used for iDrive and storing maps?
I suspect that Apple is considered a more luxurious brand than any of the Android manufactures, so it might go down better with BMW's audience. I think they target iOS first with their apps, so Android may be lagging behind.

The HD can be used for music, but it's really small. I can't remember the exact space, but it's quite silly. It can't hold my whole music library, that easily fits on my phone. Good thing is you can buy a cheap usb stick with a lot more space and plug it in the center console.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
I suspect that Apple is considered a more luxurious brand than any of the Android manufactures, so it might go down better with BMW's audience. I think they target iOS first with their apps, so Android may be lagging behind.

The HD can be used for music, but it's really small. I can't remember the exact space, but it's quite silly. It can't hold my whole music library, that easily fits on my phone. Good thing is you can buy a cheap usb stick with a lot more space and plug it in the center console.
Right, thanks m8
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

I can't imagine too many BMW owners use Android phones. Regardless, an interface for iOS will capture the overwhelming majority of existing iPhones because of Apple's management of the platform and the high adoption of the latest firmware. It's practically impossible to develop anything "for Android" with a decent user experience because Android devices range from useless pieces of garbage to just crappy, so the focus would have to be on a specific model. In other words, it would be a complete waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I can't imagine too many BMW owners use Android phones. Regardless, an interface for iOS will capture the overwhelming majority of existing iPhones because of Apple's management of the platform and the high adoption of the latest firmware. It's practically impossible to develop anything "for Android" with a decent user experience because Android devices range from useless pieces of garbage to just crappy, so the focus would have to be on a specific model. In other words, it would be a complete waste of time.
You have really poor imagination, considering 87% vs 11% market share against Apple. And you clearly have no clue about mobile app development.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42993.00
      10-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
BMW and Apple have long had a partnership and Apple has been integrated into BMW for over a decade. Any new apps/mobile integration will be developed for Apple products first, then, possibly, for Android. I had to buy an Apple iPod Touch just so I could get the M Lap Timer to work in my M4. It's not available on Android. The upgraded version of the ConnectedDrive app was released simultaneously for both Apple and Android though.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
You have really poor imagination, considering 87% vs 11% market share against Apple. And you clearly have no clue about mobile app development.
Yeah...I guess you're right.
Appreciate 0