BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #1
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

All the S65's are gone because of the 110% rod bearing failure rate, now what?

you can cam one of these to fling itself against the rev limiter hard enough to not miss the S65 too terribly badly, though I'm sure without some cam phasing the drivability would not be quite as good, nor would making sure it doesn't knock be all that fun and you'd have to tune conservatively, but with 5.2l who would miss it?:

http://www.enginelabs.com/features/p...-engine-a52xs/

LSx or a newer LT crate would probably fit better/easier but considering the car is already arranged for a big stupid DOHC V8 what's the worst that could happen?

When these damn civic 2008 sedans get cheap enough I might have to grab a blown up one and do it just because I can. Build the Falcon Ford wouldn't sell us. Even if it was kludged together with zoomies out the hood it'd still be rad as hell

Last edited by Richbot; 10-11-2016 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 04:25 AM   #2
Sneaky Pete
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

Using a E46 M3 would be even cheaper:

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Richbot
Major General
Rep

No 4dr no care!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
you can cam one of these to fling itself against the rev limiter hard enough to not miss the S65 too terribly badly, though I'm sure without some cam phasing the drivability would not be quite as good, nor would making sure it doesn't knock be all that fun and you'd have to tune conservatively, but with 5.2l who would miss it?:

http://www.enginelabs.com/features/p...-engine-a52xs/

LSx or a newer LT crate would probably fit better/easier but considering the car is already arranged for a big stupid DOHC V8 what's the worst that could happen?

When these damn civic 2008 sedans get cheap enough I might have to grab a blown up one and do it just because I can. Build the Falcon Ford wouldn't sell us. Even if it was kludged together with zoomies out the hood it'd still be rad as hell

Given that there are a few LS E9X swaps done and a company in Australia that will do it for you turn key, I'd probably go that route.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1195176

http://www.brintech.com.au/brintech-customs

Headers and engine mount kit will run you $1900. Have to get the CANBUS compatible harness from them as well, I imagine.

Fast forward to 6:10.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Heh, yeah, you're probably right. Way more compact for dealing with whatever interference issues might come up. Just like the way the Ford motors sound a bit better.