Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
greensha
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Can't get CarPlay to work

I just took delivery of my 2017 F80 with CarPlay, but I can't get it to work. Following the instructions I found online, I plugged my iPhone 6 (running iOS 10.1.1) into the USB port (using an Apple Lightning cable) and nothing happens. From what I understand, CarPlay is supposed to show up on the iDrive screen. I feel like I am probably missing something pretty basic. The car should have CarPlay as I paid for it and it is listed on the sticker.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
m-perfection
Rep
Drives: SO/SO M3 MY17

I don't know about the USB connection but I was able to get mine working via Bluetooth. To do it, I unpaired my phone from the car, and then re-paired it. During the re-pairing, I had the option to select CarPlay instead of iDrive and voila. Once that's done, you'll see a new option on the left hand side of the iDrive menu to activate CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
blackf0rk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 MGM

11-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

x2, use bluetooth. That's how I did it.
      11-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
greensha
Rep

It turns out that CarPlay was never activated for my car. It's at the dealership now getting updated. I've got a loaner X5 with CarPlay that I have been having fun with. Thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensha View Post
It turns out that CarPlay was never activated for my car. It's at the dealership now getting updated. I've got a loaner X5 with CarPlay that I have been having fun with. Thanks for all the help!
The Apple Car Play announcement came out after I ordered my car. It is a 2017, but the option was not ordered. I have an iPhone 6 and I struggle to get it do consistently work via blue tooth. Some days it goes right to my music, some days, no matter what I try, it will not play my music. I read on this forum somewhere that the car play could be bought in the apps, but I looked extensively tonight and don't see that. Did you see car play on your idrive before you brought it to the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #7
greensha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLATom View Post
The Apple Car Play announcement came out after I ordered my car. It is a 2017, but the option was not ordered. I have an iPhone 6 and I struggle to get it do consistently work via blue tooth. Some days it goes right to my music, some days, no matter what I try, it will not play my music. I read on this forum somewhere that the car play could be bought in the apps, but I looked extensively tonight and don't see that. Did you see car play on your idrive before you brought it to the dealership?
I did not see the CarPlay option in iDrive before I took it in. Apparently it was never activated after the ED. The dealership activated today and now it's working.
Appreciate 0