BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Dealer f'd up my order - what to do ...

Ok so I ordered a '17 X5M - Azurite on Nutmeg with Scotch Headliner and Sen trim - went back and forth with the dealer in the Individual options - initially they said BMW wouldn't honor the request but that they were working on it.

I specifically indicated that if BMW does not approve my options, to PLEASE let me know before the vehicle enters production so that I can change the options around.

So dealer says "ok" and its crickets for weeks. I have a production # - so I check the status of the build on the BMW web site and for weeks its in the "processing order" (e.g. pre-production state).

I send another email to dealer on status just after Thanksgiving and he indicates that they are still working on the order details with the folks in Spartanburg.

Ok no worries I am fine with any delays, etc.

So yesterday I check the production number and now the vehicle is in production.

WTF?

I freaked out and fired off a bunch of emails to the dealer.

Crickets so far.

I called BMW this am to get the VIN from the production number to check the build - and as feared it is being built with anthracite headliner and carbon fiber trim over nutmeg.

Not what I wanted.

So I emailed the the dealer indicating that I will not accept delivery of the vehicle.

What do you all think?

Should I attempt to locate another dealer who will be mindful of the f'in options that I want on a $119K car?

Locate one a dealer lot somewhere?

SO aggravating its beyond belief.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
from experience the online status is not accurate, dealership has most upto date info on every build.

takes a while to show proper options on the website.

i would call BMW Genius
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Get what you want and don't settle.
      12-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
from experience the online status is not accurate, dealership has most upto date info on every build.

takes a while to show proper options on the website.

i would call BMW Genius
+1

The dealer has more accurate info than the online status.
      12-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
soulsea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

The way I understand it the dealer has no control over which build the factory accepts, so in that sense it's not like if you go to another dealer they would be able to force it through the system. Thus if BMW rejected it chances are they were going to no matter which dealer you went through, but at least a competent dealer would have been on top of it to tell you this as soon as it were knowable so that you could make a decision at that point and not waste your time waiting. At least you found out now out of your own initiative and not when you went to pick it up.

So it seems you have two options:

1. Walk away and go to a dealer that understands the value of communication with their customers and start the process all over again with another personalized build you want.. This is the solution if getting exactly what you want is very important to you, but with more waiting and hoping the revised build gets accepted.

2. Look around on cargurus or other sites that have the entire US inventory on display and see if there is an existing build that you prefer to the one that's been assigned to you. If there is go buy that car, if there isn't stay with your order. This is the solution if you're ok getting the closest thing to what you want, but not exactly personalized to you. And if you pick a car off the lot chances are you'll be able to get a better deal than on a custom order.
      12-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok so I called the folks at Genius and the vehicle is in line to be produced with the incorrect options - so that is that.

Which is fine if BMW simply cannot build the vehicle to my specs - however, what is not acceptable is the dealer's inability to communicate.

Infuriating.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
Mexecutioner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
Ok so I called the folks at Genius and the vehicle is in line to be produced with the incorrect options - so that is that.

Which is fine if BMW simply cannot build the vehicle to my specs - however, what is not acceptable is the dealer's inability to communicate.

Infuriating.
Many dealers in your area. Shop somewhere else if your specs must be met 100%

Sadly, the way things are these days, your dealer will most likely not care as they will sell the car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
Many dealers in your area. Shop somewhere else if your specs must be met 100%

Sadly, the way things are these days, your dealer will most likely not care as they will sell the car anyway.
Yeah I suspect you are correct - they will just put it on the lot and sell it for way more than I would have paid anyways.

Hell - they aren't even calling me back or replying to my emails. I don't even think they care.

I will just walk away from the entire deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #9
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
time to walk away, take your money to dealership that can communicate and order right vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #10
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

Crappy situation. If the service department is the same, then you are in trouble.
I would firstly try to get an acceptable color combination with another dealership and try to locate a vehicle. Get a price of what you want. If you current dealership color is NOT acceptable, and neither is the service, advise them the deal is now worth $$ less for you. If they don't accept your new offer on this "new" vehicle that you didn't order, let it go. Just have a back up vehicle and price before you go in. You need some leverage. Hopefully the vehicle you walk away from sits on the dealer lot for months.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Nikon,

This sucks, man. Problem is, most dealers have no clue how to do an Individual order, especially on cars like the X5/X6 M. Part of the problem is that I think the Individual program in the US (meaning all the vehicles manufactured at the SC plant) is still in the growing/learning stages. I know none of this is consolation to you.

For my order, I had one dealer tell me that he couldn't do it. I had another dealer tell me that no one could do it. I had another dealer decide that he didn't even want to look into building such a car. With those guys out of the way, I had one dealer say he could do it for MSRP. Then another dealer said he would discount the car but then he was less than transparent about having a production slot.

I finally found a dealer who had a production slot and necessary approvals from BMW NA to build the exact car I wanted. It took about two months from order to delivery. Overall, I started looking in August, placed the first order in early September and got the car I wanted in December.

Your order is not that complex. My car is azurite, so that can be done. Taupe is now listed on the website as an available option. The sensa trim is available on the standard X5/X6s. The only wildcard is the scotch brown headliner. I thought that it was standard with the taupe interior.

Luckily, you ordered from a CA dealer (meaning you can walk away from the deal without penalty even on a custom order and get your deposit back). If you have the time, I would order the car again and get it exactly like you want it. Alternatively, I would do a variant of what scotty91s suggested: wait to see what the car looks like. You never know -- you may like it. Even if you do, don't let them know and ask for additional price concessions. I'm sure you could get a better deal.

Good luck. Let us know what you choose.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #12
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Yeah I suspect you are correct - they will just put it on the lot and sell it for way more than I would have paid anyways.

Hell - they aren't even calling me back or replying to my emails. I don't even think they care.

I will just walk away from the entire deal.
the lack of follow up is appalling and the sign of the times, these dealerships don't need any of our business apparently.

I have seen a lot of this since I have gone with my friend looking at cars. No one cares.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #13
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

The car dealer salesman is a dime a dozen. Time for artificial intelligence and automation to replace them.
I'd be happy to just input an order and negotiate a price with a predictive analytic engine. With the dawn of VR I'll be immersed in the experience. Think of all the dollars saved for overhead that can be passed on to the consumer.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #14
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So the sales manager emailed me late today basically apologizing for the lack of follow through on behalf of the CA.

He indicated that BMW will not honor any "individual requests" (e.g. the Sen or Scotch dash/headliner) at the Spartanburg plant for the X5M other than Azurite paint. Not sure if that is BS or not but that is what he told me.

Scotch brown is apparently only available with Smoke White. This contradicts the marketing materials which indicate it's also available with Nutmeg. Sen is apparently not available at all anymore. Odd that there are more Individual options for the X5 than there are the X5M but whatever.

Anyways he made no attempt to offer to secure another allocation or discount anything (which is fine since I wouldn't give them business anyways for essentially wasting my time).

So now I am back to square one and will have to extend my current lease with BMFS and try to locate another dealer that will is willing to secure a slot or just get something on the lot locally.

Looks like the best option with Azurite - and the only way to get Scotch dash/headliner - is with Smoke White leather.

Next question is that I locked in rebates and the .9% rate back in September - does anyone know how to get that "transferred" to a new deal? Or is that tied to the specific production number?

I'm guessing I will have to call BMW NA - of course they normally just say "that's a dealer question".

Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #15
soulsea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Next question is that I locked in rebates and the .9% rate back in September - does anyone know how to get that "transferred" to a new deal? Or is that tied to the specific production number?
Fwiw I just got 10% off msrp on a 17 X6M just by picking up the phone and negotiating.
      12-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #16
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Fwiw I just got 10% off msrp on a 17 X6M just by picking up the phone and negotiating.
I am more concerned with the finance rate which now sucks at 2.99% vs. .9 back in September.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #17
soulsea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am more concerned with the finance rate which now sucks at 2.99% vs. .9 back in September.
Oh my bad, I mistook .9% apr to mean 9% off msrp.

In my defense I drink a lot.