BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-10-2017, 05:23 AM   #1
M3inthecity
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Help! My M3 is leaking oil!

Just picked the car up a week ago and noticed it's leaking oil! Traced the leak and it seems to be coming from oil housing unit. Could it be the gasket???
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3inthecity View Post
Just picked the car up a week ago and noticed it's leaking oil! Traced the leak and it seems to be coming from oil housing unit. Could it be the gasket???
You have a picture? Is it coming from oil filter house gasket area?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:32 AM   #3
M3inthecity
Private
United_States
Rep

Here are some pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:33 AM   #4
M3inthecity
Private
United_States
Rep

Pic of side
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 06:01 AM   #5
bkdore
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC

First make sure the cap is screwed on tight. If it is, then remove it and check if the o-ring around the cap is in place and isn't twisted. These usually come with a replacement oil filter. It wouldn't hurt to just get a new filter and replace it and the o-rings and torque the cap correctly. If that doesn't work you may need to replace the cap or the housing.

You can see the o-ring in the filter kit:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn....08UaAm6P8P8HAQ
Appreciate 1
Theodore673.50
      03-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #6
M3inthecity
Private
United_States
Rep

Okay just checked and it seem to be tight I took some pics, so you don't think the problem is the oil fill housing?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #7
bkdore
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC

I meant the cap to the filter housing, not the oil filler cap. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
Jobe.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Check the cap of the oil filter housing. There is a o-ring around the cap that could be out of place causing the leak. If there is oil on the oil filter housing I would say the cap is the issue.

If you see oil under the oil filter housing I would say the oil filter housing gasket is leaking. Which is a gasket that seals the mating surface of the housing against the engine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdore View Post
I meant the cap to the filter housing, not the oil filler cap. Sorry.
This. My wife's X3 got an oil change and they didn't fully tighten it and oil was all over the place afterwards. If it's completely tightened I'd get a new gasket.
      03-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep

So i had the same issue. Noticed oil leak on my belly pand and it tracked to oil filter housing. I thought it was oil filter cap O-ring which was not. Then replaced oil cooling hoses O-rings, still leaked. It ended up being a crack in oil filter housing above oil cooling ports. It only leaked on cold start. I had to replace the oil filter housing which is pain in a a$$. You will have to remove pretty much everything from the front inculding radiatior and much more. So just make sure you do a right inspection and O-rings before anything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:41 PM   #11
bond_007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteM3 View Post
It ended up being a crack in oil filter housing above oil cooling ports. It only leaked on cold start. I had to replace the oil filter housing which is pain in a a$$. You will have to remove pretty much everything from the front inculding radiatior and much more. So just make sure you do a right inspection and O-rings before anything else.
I _think_ that I may have the same problem but not sure if it is the gasket or a crack (or maybe the leak is the filter O-ring). I have to clean up that whole area and look more carefully.

Did you do the replacement yourself?

I saw somewhere that the factory procedures mentions that you have to remove the harmonic balancer. Were you able to do so without removing it?

EDIT: Doesn't appear as if you have to do so from another thread, will reference it below (although the BMW service procedure specifies it...)
1990 MX-5 turbo (self fabricated parts/far from stock)

Last edited by bond_007; 03-14-2017 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Additional info on seal replacement
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #12
bond_007
Private
United_States
Rep

...this thread appears to have some good info on the seal replacement:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=oil+filter
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
bond_007
Private
United_States
Rep

How to diagnose:
After completing the oil change (so the oil filter cartridge would have a new O-ring), I "hosed" down the oil residue near the oil filter and the oil filter cap last night with cleaner.

As soon as the engine was started, I started to see the car "bleeding" (weeping) oil from what appears to be the metal-metal junction of the oil filter assembly to the block. Too dark to video it so others can see.

Looks like at a minimum, I need to replace the gasket.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
mharris2007
Need a 458
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 6MT E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdore View Post
First make sure the cap is screwed on tight. If it is, then remove it and check if the o-ring around the cap is in place and isn't twisted. These usually come with a replacement oil filter. It wouldn't hurt to just get a new filter and replace it and the o-rings and torque the cap correctly. If that doesn't work you may need to replace the cap or the housing.

You can see the o-ring in the filter kit:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pn....08UaAm6P8P8HAQ
This. Get a new filter kit and change the oring.
Appreciate 1
Theodore673.50
      03-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_007 View Post
I _think_ that I may have the same problem but not sure if it is the gasket or a crack (or maybe the leak is the filter O-ring). I have to clean up that whole area and look more carefully.

Did you do the replacement yourself?

I saw somewhere that the factory procedures mentions that you have to remove the harmonic balancer. Were you able to do so without removing it?

EDIT: Doesn't appear as if you have to do so from another thread, will reference it below (although the BMW service procedure specifies it...)
Yes I did the whole thing myself. I was so hoping to remove the oil filter housing without taking off the vibration damper but I couldn't do it. It's so tight that I couldn't see any key to possibly getting that 1 or 2 bolts out due to tight clearance between damper and bolt. It was miserable. I had to take off the radiator, power steering pump, and pretty much everything that was on the way. By the instruction it's stating that u have to take the transmission off and lock the flywheel in place which will lock crankshaft and will help to remove those 4 bolts. I didn't do that. I saw on one of the threads where guy just putted his car in a gear so I followed that method. It didn't give enough leverage so taking those bolts off was so much struggle that I ended up braking a socket and eventually broke bolt threads. I ended up getting a grinder and grinded last head off and damper finally came off. My oil filter housing came from 2011 model which had a different placement for the pulley which had different belt pattern(going above I believe instead of under) but I left it the way it is and it seems no difference. But to answer ur question no I couldn't get it out without not touching the vibration damper or to as reffered harmonic balancer. I honestly wish I could it would of saved days of painful and stressful job. Also if u don't lock the transmission in place it will be harder to get the proper torque on those 4 bolts. I have specs If u might need it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #16
bond_007
Private
United_States
Rep

Yikes! I posted in the other thread to see if cmtemauricio has further thoughts as I have been told anywhere from 3 to 8 hours to do it by local indy shops...

No room for an impact wrench to remove the damper bolts?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #17
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yikes! I posted in the other thread to see if cmtemauricio has further thoughts as I have been told anywhere from 3 to 8 hours to do it by local indy shops...

Yeah i could of done it in a day or so if I had all the right tools and no complications during the process. And yes I was thinking to use an impact wrench but I don't think clearance between those 4 bolts and ac radiator was enough for it to fit. It was one of the ideas to get it off including welding a nut in on top of it lol. You could try but u won't be able to hold it against bolts tight enough for it not to slip back due to clearance restriction that's if u were to find small enough impact to fit in there. Or u can take bumper off lol then u good. Honestly if I'd have to do it again I'd go straight to grinding it off and buying new bolts(just me thought).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #18
cmtemauricio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6 COMP PACK DCT

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah i could of done it in a day or so if I had all the right tools and no complications during the process. And yes I was thinking to use an impact wrench but I don't think clearance between those 4 bolts and ac radiator was enough for it to fit. It was one of the ideas to get it off including welding a nut in on top of it lol. You could try but u won't be able to hold it against bolts tight enough for it not to slip back due to clearance restriction that's if u were to find small enough impact to fit in there. Or u can take bumper off lol then u good. Honestly if I'd have to do it again I'd go straight to grinding it off and buying new bolts(just me thought).
I did not remove the harmonic balancer. There was 1 bolt that was in between the filter housing and the balancer and the only way I was able to get it was by using one of those small bits and holding it with a large pressure locking pliers.
Nothing else will fit down there, then you just need to break it loose and it will come out by hand.
      03-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #19
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtemauricio View Post
I did not remove the harmonic balancer. There was 1 bolt that was in between the filter housing and the balancer and the only way I was able to get it was by using one of those small bits and holding it with a large pressure locking pliers.
Nothing else will fit down there, then you just need to break it loose and it will come out by hand.
Ow wow that's actually really simply smart. I wish that would of came to my mind. It would of save lots of trouble. How did you torque it tho? I know it's around 8-9 Nm I believe. So u just did it by hand?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #20
cmtemauricio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6 COMP PACK DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtemauricio View Post
Ow wow that's actually really simply smart. I wish that would of came to my mind. It would of save lots of trouble. How did you torque it tho? I know it's around 8-9 Nm I believe. So u just did it by hand?
Had to torque it by feel the same way back in with the locking plier.
I was digging thru my tool box for a while until I came up with that solution.
It worked perfectly though, 30k miles later and no more leaks still.
      03-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #21
M3inthecity
Private
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: Gave my car back to dealer since NYS law requires 30 day power train warranty I figured why not just have them do it. It has been 7 days of them with my car and have not gotten a single call back since the day I dropped it. Debating with myself if I should call them and see what's up. I say this because lemon law for used cars in NYS either 3 occasions in which the car was taken in for the same problem OR 15 days in which the dealer is in possession of your car due to a problem. So in a awkward possession.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 04:49 AM   #22
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3inthecity View Post
UPDATE: Gave my car back to dealer since NYS law requires 30 day power train warranty I figured why not just have them do it. It has been 7 days of them with my car and have not gotten a single call back since the day I dropped it. Debating with myself if I should call them and see what's up. I say this because lemon law for used cars in NYS either 3 occasions in which the car was taken in for the same problem OR 15 days in which the dealer is in possession of your car due to a problem. So in a awkward possession.
I'd definitely call them and ask for their plan.
Appreciate 0