BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
craio11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

p3 gauge where to pull boost from?

Im am currently ruining a ess 625 kit with a p3 gauge. The problem I have been having is my boost numbers on the gauge are very erratic. They also vary by gear. for example will make 7 psi in 2nd then show 6.2 in third. then the next day the car will only show 5.7 in third.

Ive ruled out boost leaks and belt slip.

The gauge is currently tapped into the same line that goes to the diverter valve. I have see others tap into this same spot with no issues. I also couldn't find any one else having this issue. I was recently told by ess that I can not tap the gauge into this line because of the idle air control valve will mess with the reading.

is there a better place to tap the line in? or do i have other issues going on?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craio11 View Post
Im am currently ruining a ess 625 kit with a p3 gauge. The problem I have been having is my boost numbers on the gauge are very erratic. They also vary by gear. for example will make 7 psi in 2nd then show 6.2 in third. then the next day the car will only show 5.7 in third.

Ive ruled out boost leaks and belt slip.

The gauge is currently tapped into the same line that goes to the diverter valve. I have see others tap into this same spot with no issues. I also couldn't find any one else having this issue. I was recently told by ess that I can not tap the gauge into this line because of the idle air control valve will mess with the reading.

is there a better place to tap the line in? or do i have other issues going on?
I'm not an expert but my estimate is that the variation from one day to the next is ambient temperature including humidity and barometric pressure.

I too get different boost max in different gears, I believe it s either the tune or the ait increases through the run therefore the 'tune' is affecting the boost/timing. I have the p3 and don't believe it's measuring peak boost correctly because the sc system I have gets spikes in boost readings (boost spikes). I believe the boost spikes happen at the gear change , for some reason. The split second before the gear change has boost reading x and the time of the gear change its x+. I believe my p3 readings are of x+

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
craio11
Private
Rep

The boost spikes I have heard of happening with the gear shift. I believe that is normal from reading boost from the iac line. But im am reading the oposite i read lower.

The temperature i dont think is much of a factor as its in the 40s here and I also have an extra ice box on the system. Possibly a setting in The p3?

The tune can't effect the boost to my knowledge it's all mechanical.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craio11 View Post
The boost spikes I have heard of happening with the gear shift. I believe that is normal from reading boost from the iac line. But im am reading the oposite i read lower.

The temperature i dont think is much of a factor as its in the 40s here and I also have an extra ice box on the system. Possibly a setting in The p3?

The tune can't effect the boost to my knowledge it's all mechanical.
With temps that cool, you're right. You can calibrate the boost reading on the p3 in the settings menu and then shut off the car and hit the button... should calibrate it.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
craio11
Private
Rep

I'm going to give this a shot. See if this helps
Appreciate 0