BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-19-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
europower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 6MT

Data logging on S65

Has anybody done any? It does not seem nearly as popular on this motor as on an N54 for example.

I am looking at Test0 and BMW Logger.

I am primarily wanting to make sure that my air/fuel is right. What else do I need to watch for on a VF650 supercharged motor with the E85 Flex fuel kit? Any input, guidance would is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
have you considered an awron gauge or at the very least the p3?
since you are using e85 i'd also look at fuel psi?

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
M.Hagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Most of the OBD2 modules can log the basic DME parameters, but none can access the direct DME BUS for high-rate sampling as those require specialty tools. I'm using the BT tool, and best I can get is about 7-8 data points per second when logging 20 parameters, which is 'good enough' for monitoring. You can increase resolution of sampling by removing logged parameters.

Bavarian Technic has access to a long list of DME parameters, which is why I chose it.

I dump my .csv files into MegaLogViewer. Makes reviewing and overlaying logs easy.

Logs look like this in MegaLogViewer:
      04-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
europower
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
have you considered an awron gauge or at the very least the p3?
since you are using e85 i'd also look at fuel psi?
From my understanding with the gauges you cannot log. As much as it would be nice to have it there all the time, I would like to data log first and make sure that everything is running well. From looking at S65 logs from bimmer software it monitors fuel pressure as well. I am only not sure what my target pressure is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Hagen View Post
Most of the OBD2 modules can log the basic DME parameters, but none can access the direct DME BUS for high-rate sampling as those require specialty tools. I'm using the BT tool, and best I can get is about 7-8 data points per second when logging 20 parameters, which is 'good enough' for monitoring. You can increase resolution of sampling by removing logged parameters.

Bavarian Technic has access to a long list of DME parameters, which is why I chose it.

I dump my .csv files into MegaLogViewer. Makes reviewing and overlaying logs easy.

Logs look like this in MegaLogViewer:
Hmm... Don't you live close to me, got any unused spots on the BT??
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
M.Hagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by europower View Post
Hmm... Don't you live close to me, got any unused spots on the BT??
I bought a single-VIN BT. Sorry

So far it has been a great investment. The only negative is that it currently does not support battery reset, which some tools half the price have the capability of doing.

I'm not sure what other OBD2 devices have for DME parameters, but the BT has a very long list of available parameters. Attached is the list in BT.
Attached Images

04-21-2017, 01:57 AM   #6
europower
Private First Class
Rep

Nice! I used to have BT for my e60 M5, sold it with one unused vin...

I currently have Carly that can do battery registration, if you ever need it done...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
DetroitP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I purchased a CARLY unit and it is junk/borderline scam imo. They lure u in for an affordable unit, then charge you for every feature, and lock it to a particular VIN # (for which some were free for all vehicles at first but changed later on!).

Anyhow...BT looks promising, Anyone else know what tools are available for us to use? and how about tuning capabilities? anybody know how to access the spark and fuel maps?

Thanks
Appreciate 0