ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

Instrument Cluster

I found an instrument cluster on Ebay for sale at a decent price. Its in metric and I imported my car from the States. I looked on realoem.com and there seems to be a lot of different clusters. Does anyone know if it matters which one I get? I can not seem to crossreference the part number from ebay to realooem. Thanks
      04-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I do not know for sure but as long as all of the warning lights are accounted for it should not matter. The Tach and Speedo are pretty universal, it is the warnings lights and info screen I would be most worried about.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Does the cluster contain our mileage? If you have to get your car inspected and there is a mileage differential, you could be slapped with a "not actual mileage" stamp on your title. This may or may not concern you, but its a big red flag for resale. Just something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

you can just replace the gauge face. only difference would be like "BRAKE" sign and something else... but rest should be same
      04-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

^^just by taking it apart and changing the guage face.
      04-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

I imported mine too, and I like having both kilometres & miles on the speedometer. Useful for when I drive to the US. Really not worth what the dealer will charge you for installation & reprogramming, IMHO, but chac'un son gout!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I dont't go to the states very often, so doesn't really matter. They have a climate control unit in metric from the same seller. Thats what I am really after. The speedo I was curious about, cause I might change it out.
      04-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Does the cluster contain our mileage?
Yes. Mileage is stored in 3 places, the cluster, the headlight control unit, and the ECU. Change any of the three and if the mileage doesn't match, a warning flag goes up and the cluster displays a very small, discrete dot that indicates possible tampering.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
speedygirl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si, Jet Black

I imported my car as well, and simply had the dealer reprogram to Canadian settings. My odometer, temperature, fuel consumption, etc. now all read in metric. Cost around $200. I too plan to leave the original speedo in as it shows miles and kilometers, but this is just personal preference obviously.
      04-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygirl View Post
I imported my car as well, and simply had the dealer reprogram to Canadian settings. My odometer, temperature, fuel consumption, etc. now all read in metric. Cost around $200. I too plan to leave the original speedo in as it shows miles and kilometers, but this is just personal preference obviously.
Had my local dealer change my display to metric too, but $200! Man they are really goughing those who import now aren't they? My dealer charged me for the minimum one hour labour ($115 I believe), and that annoyed me already.

Oh yeah, for the climate control, it's not that complicated:

18 20 22 24 26 (degrees celsius)

Not that difficult to remember!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Yes. Mileage is stored in 3 places, the cluster, the headlight control unit, and the ECU. Change any of the three and if the mileage doesn't match, a warning flag goes up and the cluster displays a very small, discrete dot that indicates possible tampering.
not entirely correct, our mileage is stored in 3 locations, true. It is stored in the guage cluster, the main computer/ECU (not sure how many computers our cars have in them) and in the keys. My SA told me this because i asked him why he needed my key, he said that he was getting the mileage off my car and never even got up from his desk. This prompted me to ask where the mileage was stored and he told me the three locations.

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHastings0826 View Post
not entirely correct, our mileage is stored in 3 locations, true. It is stored in the guage cluster, the main computer/ECU (not sure how many computers our cars have in them) and in the keys. My SA told me this because i asked him why he needed my key, he said that he was getting the mileage off my car and never even got up from his desk. This prompted me to ask where the mileage was stored and he told me the three locations.
Yeah all the info for your car is stored on your keys... including VIN #, your name, where you bought it and stuff like that.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I had the dealer change everything to metric on the cluster. Cost was an hour labour ($115). The metric climate control that I found was reasonable and the same guy had a metric cluster that he would ship at no extra cost. Looks like the climate controls are from an older Z4, the knobs look bulky compared to the newer ones. So I decided against it. Thanks for the info guys.
      04-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHastings0826 View Post
Are you sure your SA knows what he's talking about? The mileage information is copied off of the ECU into the key every time you insert the key, but if you have multiple keys the actual information read off of each key will be different. It doesn't make sense that the mileage information required to keep mileage fraud compliance would be in the key. I was told by a mechanic that the three places where the mileage compliance is stored are ECU, cluster, and headlight control unit.

All that the key store is what was on the cluster reading as of the last time it was used, and the VIN information.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Yeah all the info for your car is stored on your keys... including VIN #, your name, where you bought it and stuff like that.
It's not nearly as complicated as you think it is. All the key will do is store VIN and the mileage the last time it was used (and seat/radio/mirror memory if you have premium). With the VIN they can them pull up your name, where you bought it, and stuff like that.
Appreciate 0