BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Secondary cat delete question

Do secondary cat deletes yield much if any hp? Those are the only thing left on my exhaust system (have test pipes, resonator delete and muffler deletes and yes its crazy loud and raspy but i dont mind) and looking to remove the secondary. I wont if it wont get me any extra power.. input? I dynoed 384whp SAE and have 2 parts left to gain close or over the 400whp (SAE) club N/A. Intake is one, i still have oem filter and secondary cats. Think it will gain anything?

*down the road i will be adding a muffler system. Not sure what yet*

I have searched around for people on secondary cat deletes and dynoing after but didnt find too much. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I wouldn't expect much from secondaries. I ran some dynos with stock cats, with high flow cats and with test pipes on the primaries. I got approx 30 hp out of the straight pipe vs stock. Interestingly, same test results were achieved with high flows as with test pipes, so I opted for that. Much better smell wise with the high flows.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
I wouldn't expect much from secondaries. I ran some dynos with stock cats, with high flow cats and with test pipes on the primaries. I got approx 30 hp out of the straight pipe vs stock. Interestingly, same test results were achieved with high flows as with test pipes, so I opted for that. Much better smell wise with the high flows.

Oh cool, i dont mind the smell since im running E85 N/A haha. But just trying to really squeeze everybing out of this motor its got hidden haha. But yeah if u had the same results might as well keep them on
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Evolve Automotive
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 . E90 M3

you removed the primary cats which do the most gains. Secondaries will just make it louder.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEastvold View Post
Do secondary cat deletes yield much if any hp? Those are the only thing left on my exhaust system (have test pipes, resonator delete and muffler deletes and yes its crazy loud and raspy but i dont mind) and looking to remove the secondary. I wont if it wont get me any extra power.. input? I dynoed 384whp SAE and have 2 parts left to gain close or over the 400whp (SAE) club N/A. Intake is one, i still have oem filter and secondary cats. Think it will gain anything?

*down the road i will be adding a muffler system. Not sure what yet*

I have searched around for people on secondary cat deletes and dynoing after but didnt find too much. thanks.
Deleting secondaries offer little to no gains for the cost involved, unless bolting on a catless X-pipe. Mufflers are non-restrictive, we've had 700whp Stage 3 ESS cars on the dyno with stock mufflers.

Look into intake, underdrive pulleys & lighter wheels to inch you closer to the 400whp mark.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #6
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Deleting secondaries offer little to no gains for the cost involved, unless bolting on a catless X-pipe. Mufflers are non-restrictive, we've had 700whp Stage 3 ESS cars on the dyno with stock mufflers.

Look into intake, underdrive pulleys & lighter wheels to inch you closer to the 400whp mark.
Cool thanks! Ya i have MS underdrive pullys, just need an intake looks like! Do u guys reccomend drop in filter or whole elbow too?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve-US View Post
you removed the primary cats which do the most gains. Secondaries will just make it louder.
Yeah true and louder isnt anything my neighbors want haha
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
Evolve Automotive
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 . E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEastvold View Post
Yeah true and louder isnt anything my neighbors want haha
What are you looking to achieve overall?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve-US View Post
What are you looking to achieve overall?
at or above 400whp i baselined 340whp SAE and most recently 384 SAE, last thing i can think of is an intake to pull out a tad more power since i have an 08 with factory intake.
Appreciate 0