Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

2-day M school in SC, May 6th - 7th

It was really a pleasant trip to M school on May and I want to share some experience.

I bought my new M4 and became a member of M family early this year and really want to try something different with my new car. I was a little afraid to bring my car directly to track day without any experience, so I decided to have some training first.

I learned about M school from several threads here and finally decided to take the 2-day one. The second day really helped on my knowledge about track and had a lot of hot laps, which was really fun.

I arrived on that Friday and got a package from concierge of the hotel, which included some information, T-shirt, M logo jacket and my badge. I like the jacket cause it looks good and has good quality. They provided breakfast at hotel and lunch/dinner at performance center.

On May 6th, we gathered in hotel lobby and took the shuttle to performance center. We had a short info session and were separated into 3 groups, and each group included 5 ppl. The first day was all about control and handling, plus a small session about cornering skill. The most take away for me on the first day was how the car performs on track. It was really different from DD. I learned what is "braking hard" and how important it is to keep your eyes on the right direction. It was also the first time I felt the "loss control", as I never turned off tracking control and drove that hard.

The last part of 1st day was hot laps on the left part of the whole track. It was really fun. We also had timed laps. That lap was not long but you can have almost everything there: straight lane, lots of corners. It was a little raining when we were having timed lap, and it was perfect as we also learned how cars lost grip on wet pavement.

The second day had more hot laps. We learned the remaining half of the whole lap and some skip pad sessions. In the afternoon, we combined the whole lap and had 2 x 20 - 30min lapping and ski pad chasing. Last part of the 2-day M school was taxi ride, which was fun as well.

The most impressive thing on second day was knowing how important your eyes will help when making sideways. At ski pad session, we learned how to make proper sideways and maintain throttle. I didn't do well at beginning but finally figured out that I was not looking at correct thing when having sideways. When oversteering and having sideways, you should look at the place that you want your car to direct, instead of the front of the car. Your eyes will lead you to the place and direction. Amazing!

Overall experience is awesome. I will definitely try more performance driving schools and I will also start my track events!

BTW, I received a free 1-day M school voucher last week lol. I wish I could get it earlier. I thought the voucher was only for M4 GTS owner so I didn't ask my dealer. As a result, it seems like for every new car owner.

Here are some videos. Have fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0fOoANErHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIZM8RvXg_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2VAx1QBdfw
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

BTW, how to add Youtube video properly in my post?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Thank you for the feedback.
I am going at the end of this week so your post is perfectly timed. I assume I do not need any special insurance for the 2 day M school.
I cannot seem to get any straight answers. I have good liability coverage on my current policy.
Anyone can chime in?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
goneloco
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
Thank you for the feedback.
I am going at the end of this week so your post is perfectly timed. I assume I do not need any special insurance for the 2 day M school.
I cannot seem to get any straight answers. I have good liability coverage on my current policy.
Anyone can chime in?
You don't need any coverage for M school.
2003 M3 Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3 Sedan (RIP)
Appreciate 0