BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
tubbyc
Rep
Drives: mazda3

Problem with MPPK Installation

I have a 2017 X5 and brought the car in for MPPK installation by the dealership yesterday. When I pick up the car, I was told that MPPK was installed successfully.. to my surprise, when I check the sport display, it was still showing 320/320. After talking to the service rep, none of them seem to know much about the MPPK and the fact that the dial is supposed to show 400hp and 400ft/lb after the installation.

My concern is that did this happen to anyone else before? the sport dial still showing the original 320/320 even after the "successful" installation per the dealership? I couldn't feel any throttle difference before and after.
Shouldn't the dealership know about MPPK more than I do?

If I didn't know anything about the MPPK from visiting this forum, I would be spending $1500 for nothing, not knowing that things aren't working properly...
Appreciate 1
1230vani660.00
      11-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbyc View Post
I have a 2017 X5 and brought the car in for MPPK installation by the dealership yesterday. When I pick up the car, I was told that MPPK was installed successfully.. to my surprise, when I check the sport display, it was still showing 320/320. After talking to the service rep, none of them seem to know much about the MPPK and the fact that the dial is supposed to show 400hp and 400ft/lb after the installation.

My concern is that did this happen to anyone else before? the sport dial still showing the original 320/320 even after the "successful" installation per the dealership? I couldn't feel any throttle difference before and after.

If I didn't know anything about the MPPK from visiting this forum, I would be spending $1500 for nothing, not knowing that things aren't working properly...
That sucks and worrying since I'm going in Thursday to get mine installed. Hope you're able to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
1F152NV
Private
Rep
Drives: SAV

tubbyc,

This will be a great information to keep the forum members updated.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

A few other forum members have had the same issue. Hopefully they will chime in shortly.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
If it doesn’t say 400 on sport display, they did not successfully install the MPPK. Most of the issues with install I’ve been aware of, including my own, the tech entered the VIN wrong and the install didn’t work. MPPK is VIN specific.

Take it back and have them redo the install and don’t drive it off the lot before confirming 400 on sport displays.
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:

Please let me know if there is any other difference (display wise) apart from the 400. Thanks
Appreciate 1
x5mannn104.50
      11-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
tubbyc
Rep

[QUOTE=IndyJer;22466569]If it doesn’t say 400 on sport display, they did not successfully install the MPPK. Most of the issues with install I’ve been aware of, including my own, the tech entered the VIN wrong and the install didn’t work. MPPK is VIN specific.

Take it back and have them redo the install and don’t drive it off the lot before confirming 400 on sport displays.[/QUOTE

Base on previous posts, it really seems VIN is the predominant issue. But, it also seems that most dealership did tell the forum members that there were issues with the installation.. but my dealership simply hands me the key and told me everything is fine. and go pay the fee.. I wasn't impressed with that at all... Hopefully they will admit that they failed the installation and fix the issue by Monday.. and hopefully it is just a VIN issue
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Installed MPKK in June, pick up in HP/TQ was noticeable.
Displays do not start at 400, but can be reached via manual for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:

Base on previous posts, it really seems VIN is the predominant issue. But, it also seems that most dealership did tell the forum members that there were issues with the installation.. but my dealership simply hands me the key and told me everything is fine. and go pay the fee.. I wasn't impressed with that at all... Hopefully they will admit that they failed the installation and fix the issue by Monday.. and hopefully it is just a VIN issue
If I was in your position I would have a harder time trusting that particular dealer now. It's apparent that the dealer has no clue and are inexperienced. If possible, I would look for another dealer and if necessary pay the additional cost to do it right.

Another way to tell if you have the MPPK installed or not is by the feeling of the engine behavior. You should be able to feel the additional power and crisp acceleration after a full tank of gas.

There was a few members here that did not get their MPPK tune isntalled correctly and also didn't know until they read these forums.

I had issues with mine due to the dealership entering the wrong VIN number as well.
      11-27-2017, 10:25 PM   #10
tubbyc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
If I was in your position I would have a harder time trusting that particular dealer now. It's apparent that the dealer has no clue and are inexperienced. If possible, I would look for another dealer and if necessary pay the additional cost to do it right.

Another way to tell if you have the MPPK installed or not is by the feeling of the engine behavior. You should be able to feel the additional power and crisp acceleration after a full tank of gas.

There was a few members here that did not get their MPPK tune isntalled correctly and also didn't know until they read these forums.

I had issues with mine due to the dealership entering the wrong VIN number as well.

You are absolutely right. The competency and reliability with that dealership is questionable, I won't be returning to that dealership for future services. It was actually not the dealership I bought my car from, I went there because they were able to give me a much cheaper price on both the MPPK and the exhaust. And since there are only 2 dealership in my town in West Canada, I didn't have many choices..haha.

I brought my car in this afternoon, and they were able to sort things out for me in 2 hours. Not knowing how long it would take them to figure it out initially, I requested a loaner, however, given they didn't have anything available, they offer me a rental car with nearby Enterprise, to my surprise, they offer me a Toyota Corolla to drive.. that's laughable in my opinion, I end up taking the shuttle home instead.

When I pick up the car, the service department is about to close, I didn't bother to ask the receptionist what they did to fix the problem.. I will update the forum if it is the same VIN issue.. I emailed the service representative and am waiting for his reply
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 11:27 PM   #11
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Quote:
You are absolutely right. The competency and reliability with that dealership is questionable, I won't be returning to that dealership for future services. It was actually not the dealership I bought my car from, I went there because they were able to give me a much cheaper price on both the MPPK and the exhaust. And since there are only 2 dealership in my town in West Canada, I didn't have many choices..haha.

I brought my car in this afternoon, and they were able to sort things out for me in 2 hours. Not knowing how long it would take them to figure it out initially, I requested a loaner, however, given they didn't have anything available, they offer me a rental car with nearby Enterprise, to my surprise, they offer me a Toyota Corolla to drive.. that's laughable in my opinion, I end up taking the shuttle home instead.

When I pick up the car, the service department is about to close, I didn't bother to ask the receptionist what they did to fix the problem.. I will update the forum if it is the same VIN issue.. I emailed the service representative and am waiting for his reply
Do you mind if I ask what city you're in and what it cost you for the mppk ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 12:39 AM   #12
tubbyc
Rep

heard back from the dealership, they are not sure why it didn't work the first time, they say it may be a software glitch as the programming show installed correctly even at the first time. or it could be the VIN problem. So, they don't have an answer for me..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #13
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

So are we sure that 2017 models onwards do not show 400 value?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #14
tubbyc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
It does show 400 when installed properly. My display show 400/400 now. They weren't sure why it didn't work the first time.
Appreciate 1
1230vani660.00
      11-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #15
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm going in tomorrow for the upgrade on my '17. Hopefully it gets installed without issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #16
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
It does show 400 when installed properly. My display show 400/400 now. They weren't sure why it didn't work the first time.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #17
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Can someone post a photo of the display that shows "400." I don't know what screen everyone is referring to here. I have not bought the power kit but am considering doing so. Just want to make sure I will be able to confirm that the money spent actually bought me something that is not a just sticker and an imaginary power increase.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
Can someone post a photo of the display that shows "400." I don't know what screen everyone is referring to here. I have not bought the power kit but am considering doing so. Just want to make sure I will be able to confirm that the money spent actually bought me something that is not a just sticker and an imaginary power increase.
Check here

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1170172
      11-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #19
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

@Kzang's link shows the pic, but you turn on the Sport Display from the iDrive menu. It shows you two round dials (HP and Torque).
      12-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #20
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My dealer is having an issue installing it. I wonder if there really is a 2017 bug.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duped View Post
My dealer is having an issue installing it. I wonder if there really is a 2017 bug.
Ask them to double check the VIN number. The common issues are zero and the letter O or number 1 and I etc.
      12-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #22
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

They just confirmed they mistyped the VIN and the system doesn't allow them to change it. They said they will need to order a new code and eat the cost.
The anticipation is killing me and I'm going to have to go home now and see if they can get one tomorrow or if it has to be next week.
Appreciate 0