R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-31-2017, 06:55 AM   #1
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Any current M4 convertible, former M6 convertible owners here?

So do you feel like you downgraded? less luxurious? miss the V-8, the power?, the B&O stereo? Hard top too heavy?

Need feedback as my warranty expires soon (2013).

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep

Not a one? Is that telling me something?

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

probably hard to find a person who has done that. not all M6 owners register on forums you know. Remember though, the M4's Harman/Kardon sound system only has 12 speakers vs 16 on the coupe. That is one of my biggest gripes about the car is the sound system leaves nothing to talk home about if that's important to you. Also the interior and the car as a whole feels so fragile, any wrong touch and you get a scratch. Like the other day I was trying to turn and I lightly rubber my fingernail on the steering wheel and boom, big scratch. Same thing with my last year's 2017 M4 Convertible, I just touched the curb lightly and the rim was severely damaged it's like the car's made out of plastic but yeah it'd definitely be more fun and nimble than the M6

Did you test drive the M4 Convertible? how did you feel about it? Also either get it with the competition pack or don't
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep

Very valid points. I have the B & O system, and it sound pretty good (though I added and extra sub in the trunk, something the far smaller trunk in the M4 will not permit. The interior of the M6 is nicer, larger nav screen, more carbon fiber, heated, cooled and message seats. That said, the M4 I drove (coupe) was far more nimble, the exhaust was louder and more aggressive, and the car felt sharper to drive. I have not driven the new M4 convertible and the M4 I drove did not have the comp pack.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Very valid points. I have the B & O system, and it sound pretty good (though I added and extra sub in the trunk, something the far smaller trunk in the M4 will not permit. The interior of the M6 is nicer, larger nav screen, more carbon fiber, heated, cooled and message seats. That said, the M4 I drove (coupe) was far more nimble, the exhaust was louder and more aggressive, and the car felt sharper to drive. I have not driven the new M4 convertible and the M4 I drove did not have the comp pack.
well that says it all, rent one or test drive one. I don't want you to shoot yourself in the foot with that basic M4 interior compared to your luxurious M6's interior. I know driving pleasure is important, but at the end of the day you spend most of your time IN the car and want to enjoy it. Heck if I had an M6 I wouldn't give up my massaging seats and B&O Sound system for anything.

Remember, you have the most luxurious M car for now until the M8 is released.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

M4 would be a downgrade from the M6 obviously from a luxury standpoint.

M4 is essentially the same shell as a standard 4 series.

They are different vehicles. The M4 is going to feel a lot smaller, more nimble, cheaper, etc than coming from a much heavier and much more luxurious 6 series platform.

Power/performance wise...well they both are //M's so it's more than you are ever going to be able to fully optimize on public roads anyway. I personally prefer the feel/handling of the M4 better if just talking the drive/road feel. M6 is a pretty heavy car.

Comp Pack spices it up a little...but you aren't really going to "feel" ~10whp difference. Get it if you like the wheels, seats, and are a fan of the upgrades (most noticeably, the exhaust burbles).

Also take a look at the Individual options if you want to be a little more exclusive and different.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 01-02-2018 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
F831355.50
      01-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

I had an M6 for a few hours. It was nice but the M4 felt faster. I did individual on my M4, and it felt as luxurious as the M6, excluding the stereo as others have mentioned. I absolutely would NOT consider the M4 a downgrade from an M6. I'm only 5'9/160 lb -- larger people may find the M6 more "comfortable/luxurious." The M6 rode slightly better as well.
      01-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
I had an M6 for a few hours. It was nice but the M4 felt faster. I did individual on my M4, and it felt as luxurious as the M6, excluding the stereo as others have mentioned. I absolutely would NOT consider the M4 a downgrade from an M6. I'm only 5'9/160 lb -- larger people may find the M6 more "comfortable/luxurious." The M6 rode slightly better as well.
Seriously? Felt just as luxurious?

Go sit in a 4 series then go sit in a 6 series. If you can't see/tell the difference then

Your own size/weight has nothing to do with it.

M6 convertible is easily an $140K+ well optioned car. M4 vert tops out around $90k. Individual to Individual the gap widens even further.

As far as power, you are talking 600hp/516 lb-ft in the M6 comp package compared to the M4's 444/406 lb-ft. That's a pretty large difference that you will most definitely feel. In fact, the M6 is noticeably faster in ALL categories, yet the M4 feels more sharp/nimble due to its size as well as more raw.

It's apples and oranges. You can't really compare the cars it's like comparing a C63 to an SL65. Both are benchmarks in their respective class.

But as far as the M4 being a downgrade to the M6? Yes, it is by the very definition of the word (less luxurious, cheaper, less power, less status, less engine, etc). The M6 is also produced and allocated much less than the M4. It's a lot more rare to see an M6 than it is an M4.

That's not to take anything away from the M4 however and there's no reason you can't be happy with either. Typically you won't see many cross shopping both.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 01-10-2018 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

The M4 can be optioned to 100k with CCB's. Interestingly their build section of their site you can't add DCT to the M4 vert. Weird.

I guarantee the M4 keeps up better than you think. Certainly in the corners.

If it were me I would want the M6, simply because it's more rare and the low end torque would be fun and so is a V8.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #10
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
The M4 can be optioned to 100k with CCB's. Interestingly their build section of their site you can't add DCT to the M4 vert. Weird.
huh? you certainly can. I've built mine on the BMW site many times with the DCT on the vert before actually ordering it. Every M4 here in Dubai including the verts are with the DCT unless you do a special order to get the MT
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #11
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I know you can, but the site done be broken. At least that night
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 11:54 PM   #12
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
Seriously? Felt just as luxurious?

Go sit in a 4 series then go sit in a 6 series. If you can't see/tell the difference then

Your own size/weight has nothing to do with it.

M6 convertible is easily an $140K+ well optioned car. M4 vert tops out around $90k. Individual to Individual the gap widens even further.

As far as power, you are talking 600hp/516 lb-ft in the M6 comp package compared to the M4's 444/406 lb-ft. That's a pretty large difference that you will most definitely feel. In fact, the M6 is noticeably faster in ALL categories, yet the M4 feels more sharp/nimble due to its size as well as more raw.

It's apples and oranges. You can't really compare the cars it's like comparing a C63 to an SL65. Both are benchmarks in their respective class.

But as far as the M4 being a downgrade to the M6? Yes, it is by the very definition of the word (less luxurious, cheaper, less power, less status, less engine, etc). The M6 is also produced and allocated much less than the M4. It's a lot more rare to see an M6 than it is an M4.

That's not to take anything away from the M4 however and there's no reason you can't be happy with either. Typically you won't see many cross shopping both.
Yes it felt just as luxurious compared to the one I drove. And no it didn't feel faster than the M4 on the street ( it might be faster but again it's so close I couldn't tell a difference ). Probably would be on highway/autobahn. Again, I would not consider it a downgrade. To each their own. As you said apples to oranges. Sit/drive in both and decide
      01-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #13
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep

Local dealer has low mile (12,816), loaded cpo 2015. triple black, one owner. They are asking $61,500, seems high.

https://www.bramanbmwwpb.com/auto/us...h-fl/24492528/

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #14
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
I can speak to these differences.

I have had a 2015 M4 Convertible since new. It has about 30k miles on it - and is now pretty heavily modified.

Additionally, I spent a lot of time test driving and checking out the M6 about 6 months ago when I was in the market for a luxury performance daily. I ended up getting a Panamera Turbo instead but I came to know the M6 very well as that was the other car I was seriously considering. I kept the M4 as a summer convertible.

Here are the differences;

- The M6 is substantially more luxurious inside. That shows up with the leather, stitching and other touch points. However it also shows up in terms of better sound insulation, nicer stereo, a comfortable steering feel and a smoother ride feel. The longer wheelbase helps a lot here but there's also just more luxury with the car. If you want to - you can "waft" in these cars.

That's not to say that the M4 feels cheap - it doesn't. At no point do I ever hop behind the wheel of my M4 and think "wow I didn't remember how cheap this felt". It is all well put together. It feels nice. However it IS true when you get behind the wheel of the more expensive car - you can see and feel the luxury.

- The M6 (and the Panamera Turbo) are MUCH faster in a straight line. Those cars are GT Autobahn rockets. You hit the gas in Sport+ mode and they pull and pull and pull HARD. No replacement for displacement as they say - both cars have high performance V8 engines.

So why do I still have my M4 and why do I enjoy driving it?

- The M4 is much more tossable. After driving the larger car for a while - when you get behind the wheel of the M4 - it has a "go cart" feel that is fun. That's not to say that the M6 or Panny aren't incredibly capable in the corners - they are. But the way you can just PLACE the front of the M4 and carve roads with it is exceptional. It has a nimble feel in a way that the larger cars have a hard time reproducing. Also, the M4 just holds the road like nothing else. Now in fairness - I have 275s on the front and 305s on the back of my M4 - and I have stiffed the suspension - so that's part of it. But nevertheless the M4 just holds lines like it's on rails. Plus you can change directions back and forth rapidly and the car just responds. Sunday morning on a twisty road - I'm going for the M4 every time.

There's a downside to that which is why the M4 isn't a GT car. The steering can feel twitchy in the M4 - especially at high speeds. It's hyper responsive and so you REALLY have to pay attention to every tiny movement. The larger cars don't have that "one wrong move and you're in the ditch" kind of feel. That makes them more comfortable for longer drives. Plus the shorter wheel base and the stiffer suspension of the M4 (especially when comparing comfort mode to comfort mode) means that the M4 has a much more aggressive ride feel. You feel the bumps more. You feel closer to the road. You hear more road noise.

Going 75 in the M4 feels pretty quick because of all this. You KNOW how fast you are going. Going 75 in the M6 or Panny Turbo can feel smooth as butter. Little road noise - smooth handling and steering - you look down at the speedo and think "sheesh, I gotta slow down".

- To my eye (YMMV) the M4 is a better looking car than the M6. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder obviously - but I do feel the M6 is looking pretty dated. When they finally get the new platform out I'm sure that will change.

So bottom line; I love my M4 but it is a very different car than the M6. The M6 is a luxury, comfortable GT land missile. The M4 is a fast, aggressive, responsive and tossable sport coupe.

On the specific questions you asked;

- I don't feel the M4 lacks in luxury - but it is undeniably less luxurious than the M6. But that fact doesn't bug me, the M4 is still a very nice environment.

- I like the M4 stereo just fine. It's got lots of thump and a good sound. No issues

- The weight of the hardtop is not an issue. You probably know that the extra weigh of a convertible is more in body stiffening than the top itself so - if you're getting a convertible you have decided you are willing to pay a weight penalty. The other nice thing is that some tracks will let you on with a hardtop - whereas they won't let you on with a soft top. Finally, the hardtop is just a more substantial top - so on balance I prefer it.

- Other thought here - the M4 performs even better with the top down. It puts more weight on the back tires (better traction) and lowers the center of gravity. So sport driving in the M4 with the top down is fantastic. The chassis is also plenty stiff - and to my feel, is more stiff than the M6 convertible.

- I do miss my V8 however when I'm driving the M4. There's no getting around it. The M6 (and the Panny Turbo) are MUCH faster cars in a straight line. You hit the gas and you are freaking GONE. The M4 is still a very fast car but it feels mediocre after you've been driving the V8 GT cars for a while. I've got a tune on my M4 - that helps, but it's not enough.

I blame Lups because of reasons.

Last edited by F83; 02-08-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0