ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-29-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep
Drives: z4

top is dead

***fixed thanks guys****

i went to put the top down and nothing happened (windows don't roll down, can't hear it unlatch or hear the motor kick in)... i notice the top light was flashing red. so i turned the car off checked all the stuff in the trunk, everything looked fine. started the car back up and no more flashing red light and no working top

any idea? im thinking its a fuse?

TIA

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-

Last edited by OH FO SHO; 05-29-2008 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
gearl
Love My Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0I

top not working

did you check to make sure in the trunk that that the handles for raising the part behind the seats is not locked in the up position if so the top will not work. (The handles that expands the trunk ******* I once raise that and could not figure it out until i remembered raising that just to see how much added space you get never did it again so that i would not freakout when the top would not work.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

When you raise those handles to get extra trunk space, it presses into a spring switch which tells the roof not to lower. If you have the roof tray down in its normal position, and you look through your rear glass from the outside, you can see it. I have heard of this switch getting stuck before. Try raising and lowering the roof tray a few times to bump it, if its still closed, you might have to get back there with a screwdriver and a little contortionist effort.

Next likely causes would be:

-blown fuse
-blown roof motor
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
mazzawi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: before 05 Z4 2.5 now 08 MRdstr

Garage List
2005 Z4  [5.00]
yeah check the trunk, there are two handles you can raise to get more trunk space but they disable the roof.
happend to me once, the light turns red then orange then stops, and nothing happens
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep

thanks guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
When you raise those handles to get extra trunk space, it presses into a spring switch which tells the roof not to lower. If you have the roof tray down in its normal position, and you look through your rear glass from the outside, you can see it. I have heard of this switch getting stuck before. Try raising and lowering the roof tray a few times to bump it, if its still closed, you might have to get back there with a screwdriver and a little contortionist effort.

Next likely causes would be:

-blown fuse
-blown roof motor - replaced last year

ill try that... maybe i hit a bump and moved the switch? i don't think i have ever put the tray up, lol

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep

thanks reach... i messed with the little metal switch with a screwdriver and now the top is alive....

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
gearl
Love My Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0I

thanks reach

yeah just blow off the first person who told you what the problem was. Yeah thanks reach
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearl View Post
yeah just blow off the first person who told you what the problem was. Yeah thanks reach
lol sorry...

i said reach cus he said the screwdriver bit... and i didn't think it was the tray it self cus i never mess with it

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0