European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

02-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Considering a GTS

With prices coming way down, the GTS is looking more and more attractive to me. I will be coming out of a C7 Z06 and looking for a car that I can drive a couple days a week on the street, but is really more of a track focused car. I'll be doing around 10-12 HPDEs a year. I loved my previous BMWs, so this might be the ticket to get me back in the club.

I love that you can get fully adjustable coilovers, aero and a half cage from the factory. A half cage from the factory is unheard of. It seems all you need to add are buckets and a harness?

Does the car come with camber plates? I read a bunch of threads and it seems everyone is adding the Ground Control to get -3 up front?

I have CCBs on my Z06 now. Great brakes, but as everyone knows, replacement costs can be high. How are the CCBs holding up for those of you that track your cars? What are the rotor replacement costs? Pads? Has anyone gone to a Girodisc or similar iron rotor replacement yet, assuming one exists?

What track wheel/tire set-ups are you running? I'd like to get more meat in the back than the stock wheels allow. With the odd 19/20 wheel sizing, what's the consensus?

I see that some are adding the Euro buckets that never made it on the US spec. They look amazing, but I'm not dropping $15k on them. Has anyone installed other fixed backs that they're happy with?

Cheers.
2007 335i gone
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:25 AM   #2
dsu*
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: no rides, i walk =)

Thanks for putting this tread up. I'm also considering picking one up now that price are coming down.

How much are the Euro Buckets? Retail is 15k? How much are people paying?

Good luck with your purchase!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
RandyC54
Salty Middle Aged Dog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

I can say that the car is drivable around town. I agree it's mostly a street car, but its an event when I drive it on a pretty evening or just to run around town. It does not come with camber plates, but it'a a straight forward upgrade. Factory replacement rotors are going to be very expensive, but my dealer thinks that the way the car was sold seems to indicate that pads are not a warranty item but the rotors may be. Read the language of the window sticker to gain more insight about that. Girodisc is working on a steel replacement now. (talk to Clark at Apex Performance about any brake questions) As for tires, I think the car can take 305 rear tires on the factory wheels, according to my math. MPSC2 has a 305/30R20 that is spec'd to fit 10.5" to 12" wheels and in not much larger diameter than stock at .5 inch. A 295/30R20 will certainly fit. As for seats, $15k is a ton for the euro seat, but it's a Recaro that can be done much less if you want to forgo the logo and the leather/alcantera/CF. I think a nice Cobra Misano would be a better option for a high end seat that can be done for about $3k each in gorgeous leather.

With all of the tech in this car, it's a steal at $120k: carbon ceramic brakes, water injection system, carbon fiber body panels, factory half cage, coil over suspension, aero package, lithium ion battery, Cup2 tires...limited production.

It takes a keen eye to see the value of this car. It will certainly whip a GT4 on track, and those cars are still generally selling higher than the GTS. If speculators hadn't snapped all of them up a launch, the market prices would have remained, but everybody thought they could get one at MSRP and now the market is crashed. That won't last forever. Snap one up while you can.

Last edited by RandyC54; 02-23-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
BMW953.00
      02-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsu* View Post
Thanks for putting this tread up. I'm also considering picking one up now that price are coming down.

How much are the Euro Buckets? Retail is 15k? How much are people paying?

Good luck with your purchase!
I've spent a couple of days pouring over the threads on this subforum and from what I can tell, IND seems to have the factory Euro buckets, but not sure if they're offered anywhere else:
https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=52108072473
2007 335i gone
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Don't the GTS's come with a factory topmount up front that has extra negative camber built in? The pivot point is not in the center of the "circle" like it is on all other F8x models.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC54 View Post
I can say that the car is drivable around town. I agree it's mostly a street car, but its an event when I drive it on a pretty evening or just to run around town. It does not come with camber plates, but it'a a straight forward upgrade. Factory replacement rotors are going to be very expensive, but my dealer thinks that the way the car was sold seems to indicate that pads are not a warranty item but the rotors may be. Read the language of the window sticker to gain more insight about that. Girodisc is working on a steel replacement now. (talk to Clark at Apex Performance about any brake questions) As for tires, I think the car can take 305 rear tires on the factory wheels, according to my math. MPSC2 has a 305/30R20 that is spec'd to fit 10.5" to 12" wheels and in not much larger diameter than stock at .5 inch. A 295/30R20 will certainly fit. As for seats, $15k is a ton for the euro seat, but it's a Recaro that can be done much less if you want to forgo the logo and the leather/alcantera/CF. I think a nice Cobra Misano would be a better option for a high end seat that can be done for about $3k each in gorgeous leather.

With all of the tech in this car, it's a steal at $120k: carbon ceramic brakes, water injection system, carbon fiber body panels, factory half cage, coil over suspension, aero package, lithium ion battery, Cup2 tires...limited production.

It takes a keen eye to see the value of this car. It will certainly whip a GT4 on track, and those cars are still generally selling higher than the GTS. If speculators hadn't snapped all of them up a launch, the market prices would have remained, but everybody thought they could get one at MSRP and now the market is crashed. That won't last forever. Snap one up while you can.
Thank you Randy. You answered many of my questions.

Agreed that this is a special car and that's why I'm interested in it. Again, other than buckets and harness, in my eyes it comes complete from the factory. I'm kind of done with modding the new cars I track and worrying if my warranty is going to be voided. While shopping for a GT3 recently, I was surprised to find that Porsche doesn't cover track usage, even on their GT cars. One of the benefits of tracking my Z06 in stock form is that there are factory recommendations for track usage (alignment, oil, etc.). Something major happens, I should be covered.

Interesting note regarding the potential warranty replacement of the rotors. That would be amazing. Has anyone had any success with this? Years ago, people were able to come into the dealership and have rotors and pads covered under warranty even with obvious track usage, but I understand that BMW has done away with this recently.

So is mostly everyone sticking with the standard wheels and Cup2s? Is anyone running a 305 rear?

I'm thinking there is no APEX wheel fitment for this car yet, given the CCBs?
2007 335i gone
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
redrumm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M3 GT4, E30 M3...

Garage List
With respect to the brakes I've hammered mine hard at the track. I've notice pad wear but the rotors look like new still.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
      02-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Cool pic
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Look like new, weigh half as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrumm3 View Post
With respect to the brakes I've hammered mine hard at the track. I've notice pad wear but the rotors look like new still.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Look like new, weigh half as much
I was thinking this too. I recall reading at one point that the traditional methods of measuring wear weren't as accurate with ceramics and a different method had to be used. I don't have the technical reasons as to why, but I remember coming across a discussion about it on Rennlist.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

The carbon threads impregnated into the disc burn off and reduce overall weight. Get em on a scale You should never see a reduction of disc thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I was thinking this too. I recall reading at one point that the traditional methods of measuring wear weren't as accurate with ceramics and a different method had to be used. I don't have the technical reasons as to why, but I remember coming across a discussion about it on Rennlist.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #12
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
The carbon threads impregnated into the disc burn off and reduce overall weight. Get em on a scale You should never see a reduction of disc thickness.
That's right, thanks! I remember now that some were amazed at doing several track days with no wear in thickness, only to be let down when they learned that wasn't the way to measure wear.

Is there a specific weight (% of original weight) at which they should generally to be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Off the top of my head the fronts are 7250grams ish minimum. I have weighed mine a couple times. There are some tell tale circles on the outer edge that will become more prevalent when you should look at weighing them.

Quote:
That's right, thanks! I remember now that some were amazed at doing several track days with no wear in thickness, only to be let down when they learned that wasn't the way to measure wear.

Is there a specific weight (% of original weight) at which they should generally to be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

The wear starts when you are peaking 600 degrees.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #15
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Each rotor should be stamped on its hat with a minimum weight. They've got to be weighed - there is a pricey tool that not many shops have which is able to measure CCB wear accurately without removing them from the car. What you'll be looking for is a "Carboteq" device - IIRC they retail above 6k or so.

The min weight is rotor specific based on original measured weight I believe.

*Edit* - I should've just quoted myself in a reply about a year ago looking for a local Carobteq and saved some time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
They can be weighed but from what I'm seeing even that is suspect due to debris on face or in drilled holes that can effect the measurement. Add to that the margin for error is very small as the wear allowance is said to range anywhere from 160-200 grams. Not much room to play with if you pick up 4 nickels weight worth of road junk.

In addition the carboteq can give a reading without having to remove the rotor from the car. The ccbs have three marking points on them, with reference values imprinted, that are used to calibrate the carboteq. As far as I can tell the carboteq instrument will be the most accurate in measuring rotor lifespan.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #16
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone. So, it sounds like no one has had to replace the CCB rotors yet. What are the replacement costs for rotors and pads?
2007 335i gone
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:01 AM   #17
RandyC54
Salty Middle Aged Dog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

The Carboteq device is a clever way for dealers and BMW/Porsche to convince you the carbon rotors are shot. You don't need to weight them or use the Carboteq, just replace them when they visibly look like shit and don't stop the car as well. I've owned and tracked various carbon ceramic rotor cars for many years, and they last much longer than what the mfg claims, because they want you to replace them at a stupid high markup.

Last edited by RandyC54; 02-25-2018 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #18
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC54 View Post
The Carboteq device is a clever way for dealers and BMW/Porsche to convince you the carbon rotors are shot. You don't need to weight them or use the Carboteq, just replace them when they visibly look like shit and don't stop the car as well. I've owned and tracked various carbon ceramic rotor cars for many years, and they last much longer than what the mfg claims, because they want you to replace them at a stupid high markup.
Interesting thought. I guess the trouble I'm currently having is knowing when to say when with my Z06 and potentially on a GTS, if I pull the trigger.

I read through this entire thread and found some useful information:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1302752

Member "evanevery" purchased the tool sometime ago and performed an analysis against simply weighing the rotors. Seemed in that case that the tool was measuring close to the same wear as the weigh technique.

Question: Are the CCBs for the GTS the same as the M3/M4, or did I read somewhere that there was a change in rotor and pad?
2007 335i gone
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #19
airwave808
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
With prices coming way down, the GTS is looking more and more attractive to me. I will be coming out of a C7 Z06 and looking for a car that I can drive a couple days a week on the street, but is really more of a track focused car. I'll be doing around 10-12 HPDEs a year. I loved my previous BMWs, so this might be the ticket to get me back in the club.

I love that you can get fully adjustable coilovers, aero and a half cage from the factory. A half cage from the factory is unheard of. It seems all you need to add are buckets and a harness?

Does the car come with camber plates? I read a bunch of threads and it seems everyone is adding the Ground Control to get -3 up front?

I have CCBs on my Z06 now. Great brakes, but as everyone knows, replacement costs can be high. How are the CCBs holding up for those of you that track your cars? What are the rotor replacement costs? Pads? Has anyone gone to a Girodisc or similar iron rotor replacement yet, assuming one exists?

What track wheel/tire set-ups are you running? I'd like to get more meat in the back than the stock wheels allow. With the odd 19/20 wheel sizing, what's the consensus?

I see that some are adding the Euro buckets that never made it on the US spec. They look amazing, but I'm not dropping $15k on them. Has anyone installed other fixed backs that they're happy with?

Cheers.
I am using the stock seat and it is fine for now. In terms of wheels, I have used the stock wheels and tries and planning to get a dedicated set 19s all around. Brakes are the best part for me. Hardly show any wear after a few days. BMW CCBs are not as expensive as Porsche ones and I checked with my technician and if pads don't get worn out all the way, you won;t have to replace the rotors and just the pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #20
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave808 View Post
I am using the stock seat and it is fine for now. In terms of wheels, I have used the stock wheels and tries and planning to get a dedicated set 19s all around. Brakes are the best part for me. Hardly show any wear after a few days. BMW CCBs are not as expensive as Porsche ones and I checked with my technician and if pads don't get worn out all the way, you won;t have to replace the rotors and just the pads.
I'm assuming you're referring to several track days. What were you quoted for replacement pads and rotors? What 19" wheels are you thinking to go with and what tire?
2007 335i gone
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #21
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
I will be coming out of a C7 Z06 and looking for a car that I can drive a couple days a week on the street
Completely off topic, having owned/driven your Z06 for a few years now, what are your thoughts about the car? I'm on my 3rd M3 in a row and I'm entertaining the idea of getting a C7 Z06 myself(manual). Was wondering how many miles you have on yours and how many days throughout the week you drive it?
      03-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #22
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
Completely off topic, having owned/driven your Z06 for a few years now, what are your thoughts about the car? I'm on my 3rd M3 in a row and I'm entertaining the idea of getting a C7 Z06 myself(manual). Was wondering how many miles you have on yours and how many days throughout the week you drive it?
Hi Charlie,

I have a torch red manual with the Z07 package. I love the car. The power is just bonkers. It is available anywhere, anytime. Your eyes just open wide as an automatic response when you mash the throttle. You can't help but almost laugh at the power delivery. Some of my buddies think the car is scary. Ha ha. It has a tremendous amount of grip on track, once the Cup 2s are warm, should you be into tracking. The engine/exhaust note is fantastic. Also, the exhaust is valved, so you can switch from essentially silent to track mode via the infotainment.

It is a completely different experience than an M3/M4. Not necessary better, but just different, a la 2 seats, massive V8, cockpit seating position, etc.

I have approx. 10k miles on it and only drive it a couple times a week. The car is completely livable as a daily driver, given the magnaride adjustability.

I would definitely recommend the car to anyone considering one. The only reason I'm shopping around for a new ride is that I get anxious after about 2 years and want to switch it up and try something new.

Want to take over my lease?

Ryan
2007 335i gone
Appreciate 0