BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
Kdawg1966
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 Msport

Temp. control issue?

Hi all,

I have a 2015 X5 that seems to have some sort of malfunction/issue with the climate control. When I turn my temp down to 60 degrees, the vent at my feet will continue to blow hot air. I was driving around town this weekend and I had the temp. down to 62 degrees. The vents were blowing cool air but the foot vent was hot... or at the least very warm.

I called the BMW service department and the guy really didn't seem to have an answer for me. He asked me how long it was blowing hot air at the foot vent. I told him it did it the entire time I was in the car. He made it sound like that was normal and that over time the foot vents should cool down. He then told me to bring it in and they'd look at it. I can't say I have any confidence in the service departments interaction with me. I asked him if he'd ever come across this before and he said no. I hate dropping my car off because the dealership is quite a ways away and I don't want to be charged for a service call for something that's "normal".

Has anyone had an experience like this? It just doesn't seem normal to me to have my temp turned down and still have my feet roasting.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg1966 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2015 X5 that seems to have some sort of malfunction/issue with the climate control. When I turn my temp down to 60 degrees, the vent at my feet will continue to blow hot air. I was driving around town this weekend and I had the temp. down to 62 degrees. The vents were blowing cool air but the foot vent was hot... or at the least very warm.

I called the BMW service department and the guy really didn't seem to have an answer for me. He asked me how long it was blowing hot air at the foot vent. I told him it did it the entire time I was in the car. He made it sound like that was normal and that over time the foot vents should cool down. He then told me to bring it in and they'd look at it. I can't say I have any confidence in the service departments interaction with me. I asked him if he'd ever come across this before and he said no. I hate dropping my car off because the dealership is quite a ways away and I don't want to be charged for a service call for something that's "normal".

Has anyone had an experience like this? It just doesn't seem normal to me to have my temp turned down and still have my feet roasting.
I'm not an expert on warm climates but as an owner here in the north east I say it's not normal, even in auto it does that?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Actually i have the same issue on my 2014. My right foot gets hot after driving a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
Kdawg1966
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Actually i have the same issue on my 2014. My right foot gets hot after driving a while.
Weird. I've owned dozens of cars and this is the first one that I"ve noticed this problem. Oh well...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 05:20 AM   #5
F15 X5 Silversurfer
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 3.0D MSport

As BeeMdblU asked, is this happening in Auto?
Also a simple question, you do realise that the face vents operate completely separately temperature wise, from the main A/C temp control? Both controls can take a few minutes to stabilise when you make adjustments.
You can set different temperatures to the face vents than to the interior vents by scrolling the vent wheels between Red/Blue.
This is the situation on my 2015 F15 3.0D M Sport. Please don't take offence if you think I am stating the obvious, just trying to help as it took me several months after getting my X5 to realise that you could get warm air to the cabin but cool air to the face vents!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Arrow 1 is what Silversurfer is speaking of:
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 792
Size:  80.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
Kdawg1966
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15 X5 Silversurfer View Post
As BeeMdblU asked, is this happening in Auto?
Also a simple question, you do realise that the face vents operate completely separately temperature wise, from the main A/C temp control? Both controls can take a few minutes to stabilise when you make adjustments.
You can set different temperatures to the face vents than to the interior vents by scrolling the vent wheels between Red/Blue.
This is the situation on my 2015 F15 3.0D M Sport. Please don't take offence if you think I am stating the obvious, just trying to help as it took me several months after getting my X5 to realise that you could get warm air to the cabin but cool air to the face vents!!!
I just tried it today in auto, and the only difference is that the output is much lower at my feet but it is still borderline hot, while I had the temp turned down to 60. And yes, it took me a while to figure out the red/blue wheel situation on the dash affects only the chest vents, but regardless of what I do with the red/blue wheel, if I turn the temp. gauge down to 60 degrees, shouldn't the foot vent be blowing colder air? Anywho, I guess I'll just live with it.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004109.50
      03-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Kdawg...sorry you are going thru this. My 35d is my 7th X5, and I genuinely love it, but hate the climate control so much. Honestly, F15 HVAC will (I know this now) be the reason I end up getting rid of my car before the lease expires. I got my 35d is Sept, and I was miserable for a few months in the heat. Now that it has cooled down and has actually been cold (for CA standards the heat is phenomenal in the 35d (near instant heat). But I know the minute it gets hot again, I am going to be cursing the air conditioning. A/C is weak, loud and awful!
Appreciate 0