BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
msand12
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i

X5 Door Stop?

Hi Everyone -

Got into a 2015 X5 in February this year and so far we love it. No issues (yet) and we love taking it on road trips - super comfortable!

One thing that has kind of got me annoyed are the doors. There are two stops, however the first one is way too.. narrow? We have a baby and the car seat is big, so it would be helpful if I could get the door to stop somewhere in between the two stages.

It's annoying because most parking spaces aren't wide enough to fully open the doors without hitting a car next to you.

Any solutions or ideas for solutions out there to get the doors to stop where I want? I know plenty of cars this is standard nowadays so just wondering. Maybe a special door hinge to replace?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
LocksmithNick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Sport - G05

Garage List
I have to agree with you. It is an odd but warranted complaint. Its very difficult to get our son out of the car seat while in a parking space.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:11 AM   #3
euro-r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW X5 | MSport | MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by msand12 View Post
Hi Everyone -

Got into a 2015 X5 in February this year and so far we love it. No issues (yet) and we love taking it on road trips - super comfortable!

One thing that has kind of got me annoyed are the doors. There are two stops, however the first one is way too.. narrow? We have a baby and the car seat is big, so it would be helpful if I could get the door to stop somewhere in between the two stages.

It's annoying because most parking spaces aren't wide enough to fully open the doors without hitting a car next to you.

Any solutions or ideas for solutions out there to get the doors to stop where I want? I know plenty of cars this is standard nowadays so just wondering. Maybe a special door hinge to replace?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Changing the door hinge won't help, the correct part is called the "door check" (it's the one that sit in between the upper and lower hinge)
Doubt there are any aftermarket one that would fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Best bet is to never go anywhere alone with your child and have the other person always stand between your door and the other car.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
X5D MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Diesel M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Best bet is to never go anywhere alone with your child and have the other person always stand between your door and the other car.
Appreciate 0