GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Been driving an X3 M40i for the past couple of days - would you move to a BMW SAV?

Long story short, I'm back from law school for a week, my M3 is nicely tucked away in the garage back there, and my parents added an X3 M40i to the stable.

I cannot stress how surprised I was driving this car around the last couple of days. Quick is an understatement for an SUV/crossover and the exhaust pops and burbles like a sports sedan.

The can handles quite well (although I haven't pushed it) and the transmission shifts like butter (although getting used to manual mode with the 8 speed is tricky, I always find myself a gear higher than I think I'm in/want to be in)

Can't wait for the car to be fully broken in so I can put her through the paces and even maybe a canyon cruise while the M3 is away.

But for now, here are some photos and a video of the new electronic gauge cluster.

Since I just purchased my M3, I think I'll be happy enough waiting for the G80 in 2020/2021, but considering how impressive the X3 M40i is to someone whose been driving an F80 M3 for 3+ years, I'm sure the X3M is going to be a MONSTER!

Anyone here thinking of making the switch when that car debuts ahead of the new M3?

Attached Images

2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I dunno. Can't tow a race car (edit: 4.4k lb towing capacity so I guess it can tow a spec Miata on a light open trailer) Really high and heavy so suboptimal for lapping days.

Why should I care?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I dunno. Can't tow a race car. Really high and heavy so suboptimal for lapping days.

Why should I care?
Idk, considering the last gen x5M laps the same tracks as fast as the current F80 M3 and this car will be lighter and lower... if you need the extra space (especially if it's a second or third car), it would seem the X3M would be right on the money for a "f*** you" type SUV, cheaper and most likely faster than a Macan Turbo or Mercedes GLE63

For many in the M3/4 market, the X3M could be a considerable competitor
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

I had a X3 M40 loaner and it was really quick/nice for an SUV. But, even in M form, I can't see it feeling like an M car or like vehicle for obvious reasons. I say this about other "sporty" SUVs as well. If you felt like you had to have an SUV though for whatever reason, I can see getting the M version or a Macan/Stelvio QV type SUV and still having some fun.

Last edited by minn19; 10-16-2018 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144502.00
      10-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Idk, considering the last gen x5M laps the same tracks as fast as the current F80 M3 and this car will be lighter and lower... if you need the extra space (especially if it's a second or third car), it would seem the X3M would be right on the money for a "f*** you" type SUV, cheaper and most likely faster than a Macan Turbo or Mercedes GLE63

Do you have a link to that? I could find 2015 x6m matching e92 m3 ring time but couldn't find x5m versus f80.

Hey man, if an SUV (less track emphasis and more street emphasis) is a replacement for m3 for you, that's awesome.

I was the other way around and wanted much more focus on sport when I sold my m3
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #6
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:

Do you have a link to that? I could find 2015 x6m matching e92 m3 ring time but couldn't find x5m versus f80.

Hey man, if an SUV (less track emphasis and more street emphasis) is a replacement for m3 for you, that's awesome.

I was the other way around and wanted much more focus on sport when I sold my m3
I don't have the link off hand, but I do remember seeing the times

Also, didn't mean to say that this would be a replacement for me, the x3 is my mom's car. I'm still young and without a family of my own, so I don't see myself moving away from the M3/4 platform (I.e. higher end sports sedan/coupe) for a while, but having driven the x3 these past couple of days, I've been pleasantly surprised and I have a feeling the X3M is going to be one he** of a fun road car!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Doesn't matter how powerful or how well they handle "for a truck". These sport SUVs are not replacements for sports cars.

Trust me. I had a Macan GTS which is likely the best example of almost being a sports car while still having the practicality of a truck.

The closer you are to the true sports car feeling the more you realized this is a compromise and you will never get there.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Had one was a loaner last service and didn't like it at all

I get how a lot of people like the high driving position, but the problem for me was the seat didn't go low enough and you feel like you're sitting on it rather than in it

What exacerbated that feeling is the fact the console and waistline is low

I'm not adverse to the suv life, but cars like the f pace and stelvio do it much better with a low seat and a dash/console that wraps around you - so you get all the benefit of sitting up above traffic but still feel like you're cocooned as in a sports sedan

Given how insanely good the chassis is on the giulia qv, I'll be having a very close look at the stelvio qv when it lands here. All reports so far has journo's awestruck at the handling
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:

I have both and I can assure you the x5m is not going to win any track days versus an m3. Unless the track is wet and has hills on it. You are probably referring to Motortrend's run with the x6m, done different days, and different conditions. If you look at fastest laps site you will see the body of evidence shows the x6m/x5m laps times are more in line with e9x m3.

That feeling you have blasting in the high performance SUV? It wears off as quickly as the tires, my rear 325's last about 8k miles before they are bald, I am on my third set at 23k miles and will need a 4th set soon.

There is no suv on the planet that will replace a lightweight sports sedan much less a sports car. What you will get is a heavy and numb lifted wagon that loses its acceleration past 60 mph because of AWD and just massive, massive weight. The only way I know the x5m has reached it's limits is by the tires, while the m3 will flex and the chassis will tell me when i've pushed it too far. Thank you Anti roll stabilization system that keeps the x5m flat and never communicates to the driver.

If it is the only car you can enjoy by all means, but I am getting rid of mine in a few months.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S

Last edited by dkhm3; 10-16-2018 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
minn1914078.00
      10-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I'd only consider a 2014 X6M.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I don't have the link off hand, but I do remember seeing the times

Also, didn't mean to say that this would be a replacement for me, the x3 is my mom's car. I'm still young and without a family of my own, so I don't see myself moving away from the M3/4 platform (I.e. higher end sports sedan/coupe) for a while, but having driven the x3 these past couple of days, I've been pleasantly surprised and I have a feeling the X3M is going to be one he** of a fun road car!
I'm biased. The high power awd EV are the street car of choice for me right now. Launches like crazy!

Just my $0.02 if you can afford an f80 while in school you should switch to a 2 seater pure sports car and save the 4 seats sedan/coupes for later
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

You said it OP. Mommy car

No thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:13 PM   #13
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I mean...if you've had it for a few weeks coming from an M3 then your opinion will be more informed than any of ours. Except for the actual X3 owners, but they'll be subject to confirmation bias and I'm not sure I'd take their word for it - no offense

However - if you still want my uniformed opinion about moving from M3 or X3, here it is : HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....deep breath...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #14
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I mean...if you've had it for a few weeks coming from an M3 then your opinion will be more informed than any of ours. Except for the actual X3 owners, but they'll be subject to confirmation bias and I'm not sure I'd take their word for it - no offense

However - if you still want my uniformed opinion about moving from M3 or X3, here it is : HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....deep breath...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I'm def not moving from an M3 to an X3, just saying it has been pleasantly surprising to drive it while home!

But, very interested in seeing what the true X3M turns out to be!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #15
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm def not moving from an M3 to an X3, just saying it has been pleasantly surprising to drive it while home!

Same thing with more ///M badges
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #16
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:

But actually tuned and developed by M GmBH

With your logic, the M3 is just an M340i with more M badges ...

And maybe it is, but there's enough of a difference for me to keep my M3 and not go back to the 335/340 cars. I'm sure the X3M will be just as different from the X3 M40i as the M3 is from the M340i
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #17
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And maybe it is, but there's enough of a difference for me to keep my M3 and not go back to the 335/340 cars. I'm sure the X3M will be just as different from the X3 M40i as the M3 is from the M340i
I'm just messing around.

In all seriousness though I don't think any of these SUV monstrosities should have an ///M badge.

I'll never understand America's fascination with these "vehicles"

FYI. We have an M340 (F30 M Sport) and an M4. Totally different cars. My wife's 340 sucks. Can't wait to dump it.
Appreciate 1
minn1914078.00
      10-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #18
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm just messing around.

In all seriousness though I don't think any of these SUV monstrosities should have an ///M badge.

FYI. We have an M340 (F30 M Sport) and an M4. Totally different cars. My wife's 340 sucks. Can't wait to dump it.
I've never driven the actual X5M and X6M, so I can't comment. But they definitely seem to have a following and a love it or hate it kinda deal.

I also agree that they shouldn't be truly M-badged... but everyone's doing it and everyone has the M-sport thing going now too (I'm sure you understand the pain of kids in C43s and GLE 43s telling me about their "real" AMGs that are just as good as the C63 and will obviously walk my M3...)

Not trying to argue, I really do agree with your point. Just saying that since they're here to stay, hopefully the X3M will end up being a monster "f*** you" type SUV for those who want it
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #19
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

I with most here as well. The wife loves SUV's. She likes sitting up high. The tradeoff to sitting up high is the feeling or reality of having less control of the car. It's hard to dispute the practicality of the SUV, and the X3 M40i is really nice. A guy I work with has one and likes it, but he's hardly a car guy. I'll keep driving my M4. I did get an X2 for dog hauling and winters. Wife will no longer use her car to transport the dog (AMG GLE43). The X2 to me is more wagon, which I like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #20
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
I with most here as well. The wife loves SUV's. She likes sitting up high. The tradeoff to sitting up high is the feeling or reality of having less control of the car. It's hard to dispute the practicality of the SUV, and the X3 M40i is really nice. A guy I work with has one and likes it, but he's hardly a car guy. I'll keep driving my M4. I did get an X2 for dog hauling and winters. Wife will no longer use her car to transport the dog (AMG GLE43). The X2 to me is more wagon, which I like.
I really don't get the practicality argument about SUVs. At least not the X3 size ones, which are the most popular. Sure you have a lift gate that can fit a little bit larger things like small to medium dog crate/dog hauling in general. They also are easier to get in and out of and the higher loading deck helps older people or those with physical challenges. But, for the most part they have as much room as a sedan of similar size.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #21
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'm just messing around.

Agreed.

As for them making Ms (or M Sport/M light badging in general) out of them. I guess I don't fault BMW as they are just giving the market what they apparently want and making a shit ton of money off of them.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #22
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

To the obession with crossovers. I am stating the obvious; turbos have allowed MPG that made this practical. Now I am sooo sick of seeing squished SUVs. Legit everything looks like its been stepped on. The honda pilot used to be an attractive SUV, the new one looks like someone stomped on it
Appreciate 0