New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

DSC issues

I saw this on the PBOC website. Its pretty scary. Follow up comments were eye opening. It seems this is becoming a more prevalent problem when people run at the track with Nanny controls activated. Explanation was alarming especially as it relates to DSC operation on a BMW. DSC works by applying brakes at different corner of car to maintain stability. System is not designed for track use with slaloms, high G corners, braking while turning in, etc. The DSC is working overtime to compensate for track transitions. What is happening is that the brakes are constantly being cycled and are getting overheated. On some cars boiling the fluid and on others wiping out the brake pads. Problem appeared first on GM cars with Dot 3 brake fluid but it can occur on any car on track if driven hard enough with Nanny controls on.

Video link (Wait until end)

https://www.facebook.com/john.vanbus...x1yT_aiyEoGa7V

Picture link

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...kONAMlCDA74j1K

October 26 at 7:09 PM
Every weekend when conducting Driver Meetings I harp on brakes; paying attention to your brakes and understanding that a soft pedal on one turn will usually mean a softer or dead pedal in the next turn. I go a step further and single out Camaro and Corvettes as the most likely candidates to boil fluid if they are still on their oem DOT3 fluid that Chevy somehow thinks is okay for high performance cars. It isn't. You want to upgrade something for a track day? Flush your brake fluid and put in Castrol React SRF. It's the only product I recommend by brand without wavering.

This was at AMP last weekend. Three weeks prior I was there when another Camaro lost their brakes in the same spot and nearly killed someone in a Miata. I don't know for certain that boiled fluid was the culprit in either instance, but after seeing literally dozens of vettes and Camaros boil @ The FIRM over the last two years, it's probably a safe bet.

UPDATE: The Camaro in the video had Castrol SRF fluid, but basic street brake pads that essentially failed.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Yes - this is "common" knowledge among people that like to track their cars. but as you see, not common enough.

I have done a couple beginner courses and outside of being required to have a helmet, there is almost NO discussion of this. They let me on the course with my 4,400 lb 535xi, hitting 120mph in the straight that ends in a 90deg turn.

After a couple laps, I would hit the brakes a couple times near the end of this straight to make sure I would stop in time, my instructor looks at me and says "what are you doing?" I told him I did not have enough confidence in my brakes yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
Vetracr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Yes - this is "common" knowledge among people that like to track their cars. but as you see, not common enough.

I have done a couple beginner courses and outside of being required to have a helmet, there is almost NO discussion of this. They let me on the course with my 4,400 lb 535xi, hitting 120mph in the straight that ends in a 90deg turn.

After a couple laps, I would hit the brakes a couple times near the end of this straight to make sure I would stop in time, my instructor looks at me and says "what are you doing?" I told him I did not have enough confidence in my brakes yet.
I've been tracking my cars for a long time and this is the first I've heard of this situation so I'm not sure it's common knowledge. The explanation of the problem makes sense. On the other hand I was doing a track event at Thunderhill in California and had a Cobra blow up in front of me covering my windshield in oil and blinding me while doing 120 going into a 180 degree turn. I went straight off the exit road as I knew the track. There was a young girl in a Corvette right behind me who went through the oil and made it around the corner. When I
got back to the pits I asked her how she was able to get around the corner with oiled tires? She said she had the DSC on and was able to manage the corner although it was a scary ride. I was impressed the DSC saved her and her car. For the record I still shut off the Nanny controls when I track the car especially on the BMW where the DSC is so intrusive.
Appreciate 0