Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
TTGator
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Dinan S3

DIY Alignments

Ok, been searching this forum for a while and haven't found people discussing this. My apologies if I missed it.

Lots of camber/toe/and-lest-we-forget-caster talk, camber plates for the track, etc, but seems like people might be taking them into an alignment shop to actually USE the camber plates? The point of them seems to me the ability to change the camber yourself between track/street.

So my question is, does there exist one or two great ways to measure this yourself (accurately) in your garage so you don't have to pay for an alignment whenever you want to change it?

Original owner of my car went all Dinan, including suspension, FYI.

I've seen a couple products on youtube today during my search for the holy grail, but they all seem to have some flaws. Aaaaaand discuss:
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Smart Strings, a toe plate and camber gauge you can do it home. Will also need some slip plates for the floor.

Reality with mac strut suspension is that when you change the camber it alters the toe. No way around it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
TTGator
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Dinan S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
Smart Strings, a toe plate and camber gauge you can do it home. Will also need some slip plates for the floor.

Reality with mac strut suspension is that when you change the camber it alters the toe. No way around it.
Do you use a camber gauge? If so, which one?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

TTGator

I used a DIY one that I made. There are several on the market from Longacre, SmartCamber, etc. I'd recommend one that reads off the wheel and not the hub. Typically hard to get a flat surface to mount on ther hub.