BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M AND F15 X5 35i

Thermal Barrier Coating (TBC) or Thermal Dispersal Coating (TDC) for N63 intercooler?

The N63/S63 V8s use rather unusual intercoolers compared to the aftermarket and most other car manufacturers so I need a little input on the right coating to use for them.

TBC, aka ceramic coating, locks heat in (I dont know if it actually blocks heat out also). TDC helps release trapped heat from inside whatever its applied to like intake manifolds, oil pans, and brake calipers.

The reason I ask is because the dispersal coating makes more sense, but I see a lot of guys with gold or silver foil heat tape on the inter-coolers which is the same as TBC.
      02-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

You would need to measure the intercooler operating water temp. Chances are the intercooler temps are less than the under hood temp. So you would want to insulate the intercooler from engine bay heat. Swain Tec makes a thick ceramic coating called white lighting. Several companies offer reflective wraps and covers that reflect heat but not really insulate from heat. You can do both; ceramic coating then wrap with reflective material.

I use swain tech on my downpipe. I would suggest a TBC on those N63 CATS. Those are huge sources of heat in the engine bay. Turbo blanket would be good as well.

The dispersal coating would be used on the radiator fins.
Appreciate 2
Panda6109.00
shay2nak1070.00
      02-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Panda6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M AND F15 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
You would need to measure the intercooler operating water temp. Chances are the intercooler temps are less than the under hood temp. So you would want to insulate the intercooler from engine bay heat. Swain Tec makes a thick ceramic coating called white lighting. Several companies offer reflective wraps and covers that reflect heat but not really insulate from heat. You can do both; ceramic coating then wrap with reflective material.

I use swain tech on my downpipe. I would suggest a TBC on those N63 CATS. Those are huge sources of heat in the engine bay. Turbo blanket would be good as well.

The dispersal coating would be used on the radiator fins.
Thank you very much for the great info.