European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

03-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
RichBunch2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

Just a heads up to those with the stock GTS titanium muffler. I noticed an exhaust rattle when in eco mode (only time muffler is used). The muffler was cracked. There also was a small crack forming on the bottom side but I neglected to snap a pic. It's under warranty so it's going to be replaced. When talking with the tech he said it was the third he's seen and there aren't many GTS's in the small town I live in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
BMW953.00
      03-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Wow... first MPE, now GTS...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Studntloan
Studntloan
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS / E30 M3

seems like things like cracking on the gts
Appreciate 3
VCP1390.00
Poochie9107.50
      03-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

That is because the GTS muffler is the same as the MPE. At least on the exterior. There is a reason BMW added structural support braces to the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
Ya'll got any more of them ?
Attached Images

Rantlers133.50
      03-09-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
delfunk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
Ya'll got any more of them ?
Oh wow first the suspension and now the exhaust? 🤦bravo BMW!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 04:56 AM   #7
RichBunch2
Private
United_States
Rep

Not to add fuel to the fire, but my car is in the shop now for a slipped crank hub. I have less of a problem with a part failure like the muffler and front upright than I do with the crank hub. I view the crank hub as a design failure. I just don't know why they didn't key the hub and or sprockets, especially on a turbo car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Wow... first MPE, now GTS...
Its basically the same exhaust... so it's not surprising.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
M2driverWV
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBunch2 View Post
Not to add fuel to the fire, but my car is in the shop now for a slipped crank hub. I have less of a problem with a part failure like the muffler and front upright than I do with the crank hub. I view the crank hub as a design failure. I just don't know why they didn't key the hub and or sprockets, especially on a turbo car.
What tune were you running? How many miles on the engine when this happened?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 12:55 AM   #10
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

wow first time hearing a GTS slipped the crank hub. also interested to know if you are stock or tuned on BM3?
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      03-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #11
RichBunch2
Private
United_States
Rep

Cracked stock muffler

The previous owner installed Active Autowerke's downpipe and tune. I had Active do a conservative tune and also some throttle mapping things.
The car has ~5000 miles on it.

There is more to the crank hub slipping than just a tune.

The slip happened Mar 1 at an open lapping day. It was raining in the morning and then was drying out. Wet spots, damp spots, and dry. In addition, I ran low on fuel twice in the morning. Low enough that the car started stuttering. The first time running low on fuel the car threw the drive train fault. Came in, refueled and added water. Code gone. The second time running low on fuel, same code. Came in, added fuel and water. Code remained and went into limp home mode. I was running Toyo R888R, so not crazy sticky but definitely stickier than PSC2's.

The difference in grip levels with the rain and drying track combined with the stuttering from low fuel combined with the modest power increases from the tune, in my opinion, caused the crank hub slip. Not necessarily one thing but definitely odd that the light only came on when running out of fuel. The BMW techs and independent shop I use all agree.

I did not file a warranty claim. Didn't even try. I didn't see the point since I had no intention of going back with the stock setup (friction, no pin of any type). I also didn't want to fight city hall only for them to say the car would have been fine if it wasn't tuned. While the BMW answer is the "tune", I feel that is pretty short-cited on their part. I've talked with my local dealership and they have encountered this problem on tuned and not-tuned cars. I've read elsewhere on this forum stories of cars tuned and not-tuned with the problem. I suppose BMW has their reasons for not pinning the crank hub, which I'm sure I will never know.

The car is presently at my local dealership. I chose to use them because they did the very same repair last year. Local shops also do not have the fixtures to do the timing and I'd rather not be the one paying for those tools. The dealership has been more than accommodating and have given me what I felt like is a good deal on the price. I went with the Maximum PSI solution. Car should be done early this week.

The timing was only off at the cams which confirmed the hub slipping. Also, the timing was only very slightly off allowing VANOS to adjust within tolerance most of the time which is why the fault code would clear itself. I've heard other stories of the hub slipping more significantly and causing further damage.

I wanted to go with what the M4GT4 uses. I went to RealOEM and the GT4 has the exact same part listed. There is no way they are using the same, un-pinned, crank hub. Certainly not with Pirelli slicks. I tried calling a couple teams but it was the day after the World Challenge COTA race and i wasn't able to reach anyone. I needed to make a decision so I moved forward with the Maximum PSI solution.

These things happen and the car will be better once I'm done with it. I've learned over the years that if you think a car should be perfect and never have issues you are going to be sorely disappointed. Or you're not out enjoying the car to its fullest. The car is great otherwise. A blast to drive. Great to look at.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #12
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I think folks underestimate the effect of a tune and the risk of spinning the crank hub. My understanding is that over-accelerating the engine beyond a certain threshhold is what causes the crank hub to spin. And the engine and DCT tunes have a direct impact on this. The crank hub does seem to be the weak point and I can only assume BMW designed it that way as a security failure point to prevent more catastrophic failures.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 3
Poochie9107.50
SakhirM410784.50
      03-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #13
RichBunch2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I think folks underestimate the effect of a tune and the risk of spinning the crank hub. My understanding is that over-accelerating the engine beyond a certain threshhold is what causes the crank hub to spin. And the engine and DCT tunes have a direct impact on this. The crank hub does seem to be the weak point and I can only assume BMW designed it that way as a security failure point to prevent more catastrophic failures.
So would it then be your thoughts that the GT4 runs the same crank hub as the regular M4 and has no issues? Or have I extrapolated too much from your comment?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #14
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Confused. You mean folks who increase redline via a tune or just the tune itself?
Is there much difference between your CS hub and a standard M3/4? If not then a standard hub should safely be able to run the stage 1 BM3 tune. Would you agree?

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #15
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
The crank hub does seem to be the weak point and I can only assume BMW designed it that way as a security failure point to prevent more catastrophic failures.
A security failure point that has the potential to destroy the engine, designed on purpose? No way.
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #16
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Exactly, it appears to be "fuse" like to prevent anything further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #17
RichBunch2
Private
United_States
Rep

"Is there much difference between your CS hub and a standard M3/4? If not then a standard hub should safely be able to run the stage 1 BM3 tune. Would you agree?"

Not sure if you were talking about the hub I installed or what CanAutM3 was referring to...I'll answer for me

The Maximium PSI has to two pins that you drill into the snub of the crank. Then the first piece of the hub, either oil or cam sprocket can't remember which is first, has pins that go into the newly drilled holes. The second piece of the crank hub locks into the first with a couple indexing tabs, this piece has the second set of sprockets and hub. All gets bolted together. It's the pins that keep it from slipping.

The pinning of the crank hub is similar to what Porsche does on certain 911 motors. Not that they don't have their shortcomings, but it's the manufacturer that I have the most experience with
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      03-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #18
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if you were talking about the hub I installed or what CanAutM3 was referring to...I'll answer for me

The Maximium PSI has to two pins that you drill into the snub of the crank. Then the first piece of the hub, either oil or cam sprocket can't remember which is first, has pins that go into the newly drilled holes. The second piece of the crank hub locks into the first with a couple indexing tabs, this piece has the second set of sprockets and hub. All gets bolted together. It's the pins that keep it from slipping.

The pinning of the crank hub is similar to what Porsche does on certain 911 motors. Not that they don't have their shortcomings, but it's the manufacturer that I have the most experience with
I was responding to CanAutm3 in reference to the stock CS hub vs a stock standard M3/4 hub. My point was that if a stock CS hub is the same as a stock standard m3/4 hub, the stage 1 tune on a standard F8X should not affect the hub as the added power is around the same as as a stock CS. Hope that makes sense.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #19
RichBunch2
Private
United_States
Rep

[/QUOTE]

"I was responding to CanAutm3 in reference to the stock CS hub vs a stock standard M3/4 hub. My point was that if a stock CS hub is the same as a stock standard m3/4 hub, the stage 1 tune on a standard F8X should not affect the hub as the added power is around the same as as a stock CS. Hope that makes sense."

Yes, makes sense.
Based on RealOEM, the M4GT4 has the exact same hub setup as the M4 (and in my case GTS as well).
Assuming that the GT4 teams have in fact not changed that setup, then I'd agree with your line of thinking.
Appreciate 1
///M///1865.00
      03-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Yes, makes sense.
Based on RealOEM, the M4GT4 has the exact same hub setup as the M4 (and in my case GTS as well).
Assuming that the GT4 teams have in fact not changed that setup, then I'd agree with your line of thinking.
Heads up. Your "quote" feature is not working when you reply. Just use the button at the bottom of the post.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #21
RichBunch2
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Quote:

Yes, makes sense.
Heads up. Your "quote" feature is not working when you reply. Just use the button at the bottom of the post.
I know. I was trying to only quote part of your comments not the entire thing but i couldn't figure it out (didn't spend much time). Think I just got it. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #22
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Please follow up on what replacement you're provided with. All MPEs we've seen get the v2 with added reinforcement brackets, curious to know if the same applies to GTS:

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0