BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Are tuned really quicker.

I've read a lot on here about power runs and the 0-62 and 0-100 dash. Power output is ultimately controlled by how much grip you get from your tyres and with the amount of power coming through from a tuned engine with say 100bhp more it is an interesting comparison of how a 560 would compare with say a 650 in that respect and without using launch under normal driving from take off.
Keeping in mind the actual grip giving up under extremis my normal M takes off blindingly quick from first gear with some skipping.My point is that a 650 cannot cope with putting the extra power as a 560 through to the tyres without skipping more therefore not getting away and the 650 starting in lets say second would be slow take off.
This won't be popular with some but I can only see the victors on a dyno and not the road.
Appreciate 1
pcohen15380.50
      05-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Luke can also show you what 730bhp can do with his Stage 2 M5

Last edited by OneExtra; 08-19-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep

That's all very well but 99 per cent and a bit more of the time you use your cars on public roads and its under these normal conditions as a daily driver all the stage 1's and plus would simply not cope and that's without putting on sticky rears i.e. just normal road tyres.
I'm not setting a challenge up or anything; I just see it as basic physics of what you can and can't do.
Appreciate 1
pcohen15380.50
      05-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Ultimate (peak) power is not the only reason for a tune. Driveability can be improved as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Yes my response was slightly tongue in cheek.

However if you live in a city then I would question why you would want anything more than a 1 litre city car other than vanity. Myself living in the country there are loads of opportunities to use the M5.

Having driven it in stock and stage 1 tune its definitely a better car when tuned. In the wet then both cars are fairly restricted.

I now have MPS4s all round and grip is great in the dry with Stage 1

Up to 60mph both cars would be close but after that a tuned car would feel a lot stronger. My car is a lot faster as a Stage 1 and with an additional 100bhp+ and a lot more torque it should be.

Having experienced the extra power when I go back to stock the car does feel less exciting, the map also improves the throttle response.

For me an extra 100+ BHP for a £600 outlay was a no-brainer

When on a dual carriageway for example and you floor it at 40mph the acceleration is brutal if a little refined.

I have fitted an exhaustmeister which has transformed the sound of the car, probably one of the better mods available.
No worries, we all have our own feelings for our cars and what's best for them.
I know it's a taboo subject but what about insurance with that (I had a recent thread on that) and the warranty or just tell me to go away lol
Oh I live in Surrey better known as stockbrokers belt but have to travel into london once a week.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Insurance increased but not my much +10%
You saying the 0-60 dash would be the same for both has kind of made my day
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
In reality 0-60 would be down to driver skill etc due to grip and managing the power but as you know M5s are not 0-60 machines at all.

But to look at M5s as 0-60 cars is to miss the point of the car and also the Stage 1 map.

So long as you are happy though

Happy Bank Holiday
Yup you said it.
Happy Bank Holiday to you too.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

I’ve nearly been beaten by a RAV4 3.5l v6 from 0-100kmh on a wet day

I think the main benefit with a tune will be mid range in 3rd gear and up. There are plenty of times when I’m exiting a low speed corner when 2nd is hard to modulate and 3rd doesn’t have enough. Being able to keep it in 3rd and have a bunch more torque would be perfect for me in the roads I drive on
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #9
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

yes, tuned are quicker. I've been shopping for an F10 for months now and have driven several cars; 2 of the many were Dinan stg1 tuned, and I just bought one of them. The stock cars are quick of course, but the Dinan stg1 cars feel like monsters. Can't imagine what stage 2/DP's is like!
      05-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #10
nencmeister
Private
Rep
Drives: Model X Plaid

Absolutely go with a tune. No brainer, car just drives better in general, pulls like a monster 4-5th gears. You will notice the difference.
      05-04-2019, 01:52 AM   #11
M5Rick
General
Rep

I hear what you guys are saying and for sure a time trial on a long long cop free road or even better a private off road section a tuned M would start pulling away gradually from a 560 getting above say 70mph. But point to point darting,where a lot of us spend most of our time and mixing it with traffic both in and out of town I would claim has little effect with tractability impaired more by the tuned cars.I'm just trying to be realistic in what can and cannot be achieved in real time driving conditions.
Indeed the all important 0-62mph time is a main statistic of BMW performance car advertising.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 02:19 AM   #12
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I hear what you guys are saying and for sure a time trial on a long long cop free road or even better a private off road section a tuned M would start pulling away gradually from a 560 getting above say 70mph. But point to point darting,where a lot of us spend most of our time and mixing it with traffic both in and out of town I would claim has little effect with tractability impaired more by the tuned cars.I'm just trying to be realistic in what can and cannot be achieved in real time driving conditions.
Indeed the all important 0-62mph time is a main statistic of BMW performance car advertising.
I never thought the f10 had a very good 0-60 time anyway. I don't have a tune but from videos I have watched and having cars tuned in the past I have always noticed a good difference. How many times do you come across someone in an m3 or similar and wish you had that tune just so you could leave an even bigger gap? Stage 2 with downpipes looks to be a monster, there is no question about it, they will be miles quicker than stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 03:10 AM   #13
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Tuned is heaps faster

I was actually disappointed with my stock m5 f10 until tuned
First gear useless, 2nd snakey up the road, 3rd be careful and warp speed
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:06 AM   #14
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Tuned is heaps faster

I was actually disappointed with my stock m5 f10 until tuned
First gear useless, 2nd snakey up the road, 3rd be careful and warp speed
''First gear useless'' and my one grips with fine foot feathering in dsc and mdm on.I'm ahead already up to 60?.Just saying
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:09 AM   #15
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I never thought the f10 had a very good 0-60 time anyway. I don't have a tune but from videos I have watched and having cars tuned in the past I have always noticed a good difference. How many times do you come across someone in an m3 or similar and wish you had that tune just so you could leave an even bigger gap? Stage 2 with downpipes looks to be a monster, there is no question about it, they will be miles quicker than stock.
Are you tempted to put one of these 'flash tunes' on?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:29 AM   #16
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Are you tempted to put one of these 'flash tunes' on?
I will be going bootmod3 at some point I'm just to tight to buy it. Not sure about downpipes yet but they are very tempting.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:41 AM   #17
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I will be going bootmod3 at some point I'm just to tight to buy it. Not sure about downpipes yet but they are very tempting.
Thats it,it costs a bit,the fuel goes quicker and the downpipes are a pain when you have to put the orig ones back on at test time tho should be easy for you to do that having your own service garage.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #18
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't think the fuel cost would change much. Replacing the downpipes for mot isn't an issue but the fuel smell and wastegate rattle might be.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:04 AM   #19
M5Rick
General
Rep

Yes the smell from cat free might be important to some,I've read on US sites some d/p gutted M3 owners went back to cats because of the smell, for sure far worse for the cab owners.Any w/g rattles would drive me mad.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:28 AM   #20
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
yes, tuned are quicker. I've been shopping for an F10 for months now and have driven several cars; 2 of the many were Dinan stg1 tuned, and I just bought one of them. The stock cars are quick of course, but the Dinan stg1 cars feel like monsters. Can't imagine what stage 2/DP's is like!
By all accounts the Dinan piggyback has nothing on the better real flash tunes and i dont like the whole "dinan unit reads real vaues then tricks dme into giving more boost by sending fake values".. i want a permanent map, but thats me

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
I’ve nearly been beaten by a RAV4 3.5l v6 from 0-100kmh on a wet day
a car without enough power to break traction is almost always quick 0-30 and all the driver has to do is floor it. its funny bc it happens lol.

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 05-04-2019 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:36 AM   #21
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think the fuel cost would change much. Replacing the downpipes for mot isn't an issue but the fuel smell and wastegate rattle might be.
i never smell my car and i drive with windows down all the time.
that should not be an issue of concern at all. what shoud be of concern is the glorious exhaust and turbo spooling sounds u can hear with the DPs.

i went with the high dollar fully catless DPs (meisterschaft) and cant say i have any complaints except that it actually makes me drive slower and more reserved because it's borderline disrespectful to floor it around any cars or pedestrians with downpipes and muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 07:13 AM   #22
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

i feel for you guys that have to get tested every year.
im starting to think i might live in the best place on earth to own an M5 and modify it, with the exception of germany and the autobahn.

we dont get tested here. its warm. good asphalt. empty ass roads forever. just be mindful of mud tracks where a farmer came out of a muddy field and onto the road.

but all anyone around here drives with power is mustangs camaros and dodge crap. if its a bmw, benz, audi, u can guarantee its base model 4cyl and its a woman or old man just driving the badge

but i can tell you where an m5 stacks against them.
it intimidates them. at least around here bc ppl are afraid of what they dont know.. they know bmw is nasty, but when they hear mine (bc not only are all M cars around here rare, but an M5 ..and modified ..is extremely rare) they really realy dont know what to think.. they think i got money growing out my ass and no telling what trick i have up my sleeve, so they just forfeit.

they may very well have more horsepower and a slightly faster 0-60 time {on paper} but they are scared to run bc of pride and mentality..
these camaro mustang guys say stuff like "those german cars are too fancy" "bmw's are girl cars", "no replacement for displacement" crap like that and they dont want to be put to shame bc if they win, i still look better, etc...
but if i win, i take the whole cake and all they have is an ugly paperweight.

RACETIME- here is real world.. i am stock with downpipes and ran a 2018 mustang with at least an exhaust from a red light just the other night. these mustangs claim sub 4 second 0-60, while m5 claims just under 5..

i told him not to be scared.

light turns green i was making sure mdm etc was on and he got a significant jump on me.

i floor it, decent launch but lose traction (that area of road has lots of gravel, always.. i knew that and i knew it'd happen there) but then i start sliding near a concrete median, i correct that, then i miss my shift out of 2nd (over-rev)..

absolutely worse run i could ever put together, ever.. but i still caught up and got nose to nose by shift out of 2nd which i flubbed.. and then i let off the gas bc i saw what i wanted to see (and i was expecting blue lights at any moment bc that guy might not have know bc he kept hauling but thats a heavily policed area, but it was night and i had to run him)

im sure he thinks he won, but his ass is grass 100% if i had no errors much less 3, and he's def toast at a 40 roll bc i watched his just get slower as speed climbed.
mad respect to the mustang though, not my style but a fast car.
however, im definitely not believing the stats anymore

but thats how it goes in the commercial world- the good stuff gets underrated and the cheap crap gets overrated. the best example of this and the first time this truth became evident to me was in high school with auto stereo equipment. go buy some off brand amplifier that says 1500watts but its only $300 or buy a JL audio amp thats rated 500w but costs $700..
that 1500watt is pushing a dirty 300 watts MAYBE
but that JL is never pushing less than 500 clean watts and 1000 peak

u get what u pay for no matter what the marketing says

*early morning rant over*
Appreciate 0