BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Test Drove M5

Went to the M-Town Tour and test drove the M5. Was planning to drive the X3MC as well but there was a traffic issue so I left after the M5.

Compared to a '16 F85, the tech in the M5 is very nice. From iDrive 7 to the digital controls, it all blends together very well. Also, the carbon fiber trim was non-glossy. I liked that as it didn't smudge as easily.

The transmission was smoother than in the F85 when driving around the city, at least imo. Another plus in my book is that it doesn't try to mimic a DCT. My vote is to have an auto work like an auto, not mimic a DCT.

The exhaust was definitely better. Back off the gas and there were at least some gurgles, more often some cracks and pops. I am sure some of the noise was piped in but it still seemed more aggressive. And the valves were open the entire time.

Due to traffic, route, etc., I wasn't able to get a good feel for the power difference. It didn't feel noticeable to me though. Ride was smoother but I am rolling on 22s so not easy to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

All in all, definitely a very very nice vehicle and one that would be a ton of fun to drive. That being said, I am still very happy with the F85 and didn't feel let down when back behind the wheel.
Appreciate 3
iconoclast7273.50
Skyracer150.00
Blewx5m128.00
      08-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Skyracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

I'd expect the M5 to be markedly faster than our X5Ms, but in real world/everyday driving, as you said, it's not going to be as noticeable.

As for the tech, well, as soon as you get any car you'll pretty much be outdated. There's always something newer around the corner. It's a good thing I don't really care much about this stuff...

I used to be anti-SUV when I lived for a while in the city, but the reality of long winters, rural living and practical needs have changed my way of thinking. The M5 is really tempting now that it's AWD, but in the end, the X5M does it all for me as a DD, and I'm looking forward to the imminent roll-out of the next gen.
Appreciate 1
Zige3.00
      08-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

I actually love the fact that the X5M mimics DCT... I wish it was DCT at times lol. Now that you said the F90 is more like auto I think I would have to test drive one before making my decision on a new ride in the next couple of months.

Choices are:
F80 CS
F90 Comp
G80 Comp
      08-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Good to hear your thoughts. I came out of an F10 M5 and will be finishing up my X5M lease in six months. Really pondering an X3M Comp or an M5 base. Maybe another X5M after that but the new model.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #5
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
I actually love the fact that the X5M mimics DCT... I wish it was DCT at times lol. Now that you said the F90 is more like auto I think I would have to test drive one before making my decision on a new ride in the next couple of months.

Choices are:
F80 CS
F90 Comp
G80 Comp
I am being slightly stupid I know but I like the genuine article. If it’s an auto, I want it to act like an auto. I think I would prefer a DCT as well but I don’t want an imitation.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1623.50
      08-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyracer View Post
I'd expect the M5 to be markedly faster than our X5Ms, but in real world/everyday driving, as you said, it's not going to be as noticeable.

As for the tech, well, as soon as you get any car you'll pretty much be outdated. There's always something newer around the corner. It's a good thing I don't really care much about this stuff...

I used to be anti-SUV when I lived for a while in the city, but the reality of long winters, rural living and practical needs have changed my way of thinking. The M5 is really tempting now that it's AWD, but in the end, the X5M does it all for me as a DD, and I'm looking forward to the imminent roll-out of the next gen.
I used to favor sedans until I had kids. Loading them in car seats is much easier in an SUV. The practicality is just a huge positive.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 05:52 AM   #7
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

I previously owned a 2016 X5M with Dinantronics and Akra exhaust, then purchased a new F90. I thought surely this thing isn't much faster than my X5M was. The M5 is much much quicker, it's not even a race between the two. The weight difference alone is substantial. I absolutely loved my X5M and it's still my favorite all round vehicle I've ever owned. Can't wait to see a new G series one on the streets soon. If you are thinking of a new M5 you won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #8
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev230 View Post
I previously owned a 2016 X5M with Dinantronics and Akra exhaust, then purchased a new F90. I thought surely this thing isn't much faster than my X5M was. The M5 is much much quicker, it's not even a race between the two. The weight difference alone is substantial. I absolutely loved my X5M and it's still my favorite all round vehicle I've ever owned. Can't wait to see a new G series one on the streets soon. If you are thinking of a new M5 you won't be disappointed.
I think this just goes to show you how bad the traffic and route were for the test drive. The ONLY time I got to test it a little was one on-ramp.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post

Choices are:
F80 CS
F90 Comp
G80 Comp
I am being slightly stupid I know but I like the genuine article. If it’s an auto, I want it to act like an auto. I think I would prefer a DCT as well but I don’t want an imitation.
Understood.