BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
robininni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X535d (sold)

Extended warranty details?

Could someone give me some pointers on getting an extended warranty for a 2017 or 2018 x5 m?

What should these cost? What are the length options? Is it better to get the one that covers everything? Can you buy these right up until the original warranty expires? Does it cost more the longer you wait? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
Could someone give me some pointers on getting an extended warranty for a 2017 or 2018 x5 m?

What should these cost? What are the length options? Is it better to get the one that covers everything? Can you buy these right up until the original warranty expires? Does it cost more the longer you wait? Thanks.
I'm not sure why I keep replying to your threads - do you try to do any research on your own? Sorry, but there's a lot of threads on this topic

Extended warranty cost is literally all over the board - it depends on what company you go with, what type of warranty you buy (inclusionary, exclusionary, etc.), how many months/miles of coverage you want to pay for, what deductible you prefer, what specific make/model vehicle you are wanting coverage for, how many miles are on given vehicle you want coverage for, etc.

Warranty length can differ, but figure to choose between 24-60 months of coverage an/or mileage figured into that as well. My last X5, I opted for 3 years & 24K miles of coverage, but I could have opted for 3 years and 36K miles of coverage, or 4 years & 48K miles of coverage - you get the idea.

Yes, it's better to get one that covers everything - a.k.a. an 'exclusionary' warranty. You buy an 'inclusionary' warranty and it'll have lots of exclusions, pretty much a waste of $, IMO.

You can buy one whenever, but why would you buy one with your factory or CPO warranty still in place?

Last edited by jiggz; 01-09-2020 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #3
robininni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X535d (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I'm not sure why I keep replying to your threads - do you try to do any research on your own? Sorry, but there's a lot of threads on this topic

Extended warranty cost is literally all over the board - it depends on what company you go with, what type of warranty you buy (inclusionary, exclusionary, etc.), how many months/miles of coverage you want to pay for, what deductible you prefer, what specific make/model vehicle you are wanting coverage for, how many miles are on given vehicle you want coverage for, etc.

Warranty length can differ, but figure to choose between 24-60 months of coverage an/or mileage figured into that as well. My last X5, I opted for 3 years & 24K miles of coverage, but I could have opted for 3 years and 36K miles of coverage, or 4 years & 48K miles of coverage - you get the idea.

Yes, it's better to get one that covers everything - a.k.a. an 'exclusionary' warranty. You buy an 'inclusionary' warranty and it'll have lots of exclusions, pretty much a waste of $, IMO.

You can buy one whenever, but why would you buy one with your factory or CPO warranty still in place?
Thank you, that helps a lot. I haven't done a lot of research on late model X5 M, I was planning on getting a new X7 m50i so I exhausted myself on that and also I find it harder to get accurate info on older model cars versus what can be built today, thus I need bones thrown to me for the 2017/2018 X5 M questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post
Thank you, that helps a lot. I haven't done a lot of research on late model X5 M, I was planning on getting a new X7 m50i so I exhausted myself on that and also I find it harder to get accurate info on older model cars versus what can be built today, thus I need bones thrown to me for the 2017/2018 X5 M questions.
Fair enough - keep them coming!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
but why would you buy one with your factory or CPO warranty still in place?
It's always cheaper (quite a bit) to buy the warranty while the vehicle is still under factory warranty. One should wait until 6 months prior to factory warranty expiration to buy an extended one.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
It's always cheaper (quite a bit) to buy the warranty while the vehicle is still under factory warranty. One should wait until 6 months prior to factory warranty expiration to buy an extended one.
I believe this is true if extending through BMW. But 3rd party warranty? I had a CNA warranty on my E70 - the application process did not include anything about possible existing factory warranty.
Appreciate 0