BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-05-2020, 05:25 AM   #1
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

Lowering 2cm the car, steering move very easy on comfort mode

I just lowered a little bit my car, around 2cm, i used st suspension springs(made by kw), front springs seems to be progressive not linear, i like how my car drive, now if i select comfort mode on steering wheel i can really feel the difference, is really comfortable. Before lowering car steering was almost same on sport and comfort mode.
Springs can make differences in steering or it could be related to lowering and different angle to steering gear box?
One more thing, st springs kit made by kw came with new bump stops(smaller) included in price, around 180-200euro in Europe.
https://www.st-suspensions.net/produ...%5B164%5D&ag=0
Front springs are not same like in website photo, are progressive not linear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

A slight lowering shouldn't affect steering much but do an alignment so everything is right. That may tighten up the steering feel a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

the only thing which can explain this is as you lower the vehicle the front camber changes, putting less pressure on the exterior of the tires, and more pressure on the interior. You will have a very very sligh contact patch difference which will affect the steering feel.
      03-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0ff View Post
the only thing which can explain this is as you lower the vehicle the front camber changes, putting less pressure on the exterior of the tires, and more pressure on the interior. You will have a very very sligh contact patch difference which will affect the steering feel.
I am really happy how my steering feels now.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0ff View Post
You will also change caster which will affect how strongly the steering wants to return to center, I wasn't clear if the OP was talking about steering feel while stationary or while driving the car, caster angle should only really make a difference while moving.

Also, I've noticed on cars with thrust bearings above and below the springs, the steering wheel turns much more easily and freely while the car is stopped. I keep a couple sets of those at my shop because every once in a while a customer brings in their own coilover kit and it ends up with spring bind (tends to be the Japanese brands that are a little overly racy for the road) and we find that adding in the thrust bearings not only gets rid of the noise, it also makes steering at low speeds smooth.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:03 AM   #6
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After some drive it touch very fast the bump stops and dashboard make a huuuge boom, i just ordered eibach.
Appreciate 0