BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
florei0916
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Found this forum a little late to the party but...just purchased an x5 and have been playing around with the M/S feature.

Whilst playing around driving, I accidentally shifted in the up direction instead of down (trying to shift up gears but shifted down instead) and went from M3 to M1...I was going about 45 km/h and my engine revved quite loud. I assume this is because the speed was going well over the gear selected? RPM was about 4 before I realized and shifted gears back up. Wondering if this was bad on the transmission?

On a side note, can anyone recommend how high rpm I should be at before increasing gears in M mode?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Over revving isn't as bad for the transmission as it is for the engine...
If you didn't hear a loud "BANG" and the engine suddenly stop (seize), don't worry, lol, unless of course you're still in the break-in period, then 2x lol...

Sport+ shifting changes the Dynamics of the ECU control of the engine and transmission to certain optimal levels over normal. Holding the shift point until a higher rpm brings the engine closer to its peak power (B58 - 5,500rpm) before changing gears. It also can detect slight variations such as slowing down into a corner and adjust accordingly. DSC will assist with this slightly unless it has been completely disabled (long hold DSC button). Manual is manual... But the placebo effect is thinking you'll do better than the ECU in regard to shift point optimization and speed. It is more fun, and less work than a tru Manual, but nonetheless isn't any better than Sport+ as holding the gear past it's power peak provides diminishing returns.

Simplified, but I think that's sums it up. Bottom line, just have fun, drive it like you stole it!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

In few days the novelty will wear off and you'll be just driving in auto 99.o% of time.

But untill then you can shift any way you like, the car is fool proof and you won't damage anything. You may blow rear diff you you try really, really hard, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Just dont run it to redline constantly and you should be ok. However I do agree, the excitement of shifting will wear off and you'll seldom use the feature.

With time you will start to feel that "sweet spot" where the power starts to drop off at higher RPM, thats where you want to shift, because anything above that is actually hurting performance because of your power curve. Just don't run past redline (which I believe the car will force it to shift if you run it too high anyways to prevent damage), dont run it at high rpm for extended periods of time. If its a windy road and you're holding higher rpm between corners to stay in your powerband is one thing, but if your ripping across a parking lot at redline because you think it makes you sound cool, thats another thing.

I typically stay in D unless I get into heavy traffic, then I switch to sport but leave it out of manual. Sport allows more engine braking which I find nice for heavy traffic and the slinky affect of traffic. Theres honestly not much need for manual mode unless you're on a track or spirited driving on tight twisties.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
florei0916
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one8 View Post
Just dont run it to redline constantly and you should be ok. However I do agree, the excitement of shifting will wear off and you'll seldom use the feature.

With time you will start to feel that "sweet spot" where the power starts to drop off at higher RPM, thats where you want to shift, because anything above that is actually hurting performance because of your power curve. Just don't run past redline (which I believe the car will force it to shift if you run it too high anyways to prevent damage), dont run it at high rpm for extended periods of time. If its a windy road and you're holding higher rpm between corners to stay in your powerband is one thing, but if your ripping across a parking lot at redline because you think it makes you sound cool, thats another thing.

I typically stay in D unless I get into heavy traffic, then I switch to sport but leave it out of manual. Sport allows more engine braking which I find nice for heavy traffic and the slinky affect of traffic. Theres honestly not much need for manual mode unless you're on a track or spirited driving on tight twisties.
Do you mean "sport" button or S mode on the gear shift??

Also, in your opinion why would Sport be better than Comfort in heavy traffic?? I find Sport good for accelerating but start stop traffic has me stepping on brakes quite often...and the brakes feel different than in Comfort mode
(Almost a feeling like I shouldn't be braking often in Sport)

Excuse my ignorance if there is some, and please enlighten me

My previous vehicle was a 2014 Sentra so you can see how much of an upgrade I took lol
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
florei0916
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Over revving isn't as bad for the transmission as it is for the engine...
If you didn't hear a loud "BANG" and the engine suddenly stop (seize), don't worry, lol, unless of course you're still in the break-in period, then 2x lol...

Sport+ shifting changes the Dynamics of the ECU control of the engine and transmission to certain optimal levels over normal. Holding the shift point until a higher rpm brings the engine closer to its peak power (B58 - 5,500rpm) before changing gears. It also can detect slight variations such as slowing down into a corner and adjust accordingly. DSC will assist with this slightly unless it has been completely disabled (long hold DSC button). Manual is manual... But the placebo effect is thinking you'll do better than the ECU in regard to shift point optimization and speed. It is more fun, and less work than a tru Manual, but nonetheless isn't any better than Sport+ as holding the gear past it's power peak provides diminishing returns.

Simplified, but I think that's sums it up. Bottom line, just have fun, drive it like you stole it!
Awesome advice thanks a lot! I literally got it a week ago so that's why I'm super cautious so far, but I'm under warranty until Dec. 2023 so maybe if I drive it like I stole it a few times won't kill me haha
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #7
florei0916
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
In few days the novelty will wear off and you'll be just driving in auto 99.o% of time.

But untill then you can shift any way you like, the car is fool proof and you won't damage anything. You may blow rear diff you you try really, really hard, though.
Thanks for the info, it's good to know they're foolproof

I assumed so considering the cost of these vehicles but whenever I usually hear noise it worries me...I sometimes forget these cars are meant to make noise and engine rev and are performance vehicles

Still gotta get used to the spaceship!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by florei0916 View Post
Do you mean "sport" button or S mode on the gear shift??

Also, in your opinion why would Sport be better than Comfort in heavy traffic?? I find Sport good for accelerating but start stop traffic has me stepping on brakes quite often...and the brakes feel different than in Comfort mode
(Almost a feeling like I shouldn't be braking often in Sport)

Excuse my ignorance if there is some, and please enlighten me

My previous vehicle was a 2014 Sentra so you can see how much of an upgrade I took lol
Lets start here. When talking modes, two areas are affected when switching between them:

Drivetrain - this includes your transmission and fuel mapping (gas pedal)
Chassis - this is your suspension, traction control, stability control, ABS

When you slide your shifter over to M/S, thats changing your drivetrain characteristics. If you don't use your paddles, the drivetrain goes to sport mode. It will still be an automatic, but the shift points and responsiveness will be changed for a more sporty feel. As soon as you use a paddle shifter, it changes to manual mode until you slide the shifter back to D.

Sport Mode through your button is essentially the same as sliding your shifter over, but it gives you Sport Chassis as well. It will alter responsiveness settings for things like traction control, stability control, and ABS. Most of these changes are minimal and wont be noticed, because they are still keeping safety in mind. The big difference is if you have M Suspension, because then you get stiffer suspension if you go to sport mode.

Braking with sport drivetrain will feel different because your adding in engine braking. The transmission is holding the gear when you brake vs in comfort mode it releases the gear when you brake (essentially putting it in a neutral state). This will cause your brakes to feel more sensitive or feel like they grab more because the engine is assisting. You will get this same feeling whether you have the shifter moved over, or you go into sport mode from comfort.

So in the end:
- By moving the shifter over while in comfort mode, you get the sport drivetrain settings, but comfort chassis settings.
- By leaving the shifter at D, and pushing the button from comfort to sport, you get sport drivetrain, and sport chassis.

I like being in sport drivetrain while in heavy traffic because I like the engine braking, it helps with those sudden stops. The engine braking is already slowing me down before I get my foot on the brake pedal. It also gives me quicker throttle response should I need it.

I have an M Sport with M Chassis, so I can tell my sport mode to give me both sport drivetrain and sport chassis (suspension), or one or the other, so I have it set so sport mode only gives me sport chassis, but leaves my drivetrain as if it was in comfort mode. That way I can have that sportier ride, without having a touchy gas pedal and shifting. If I want the sport drivetrain, then I just move the shifter over.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
florei0916
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Lets start here. When talking modes, two areas are affected when switching between them:

Drivetrain - this includes your transmission and fuel mapping (gas pedal)
Chassis - this is your suspension, traction control, stability control, ABS

When you slide your shifter over to M/S, thats changing your drivetrain characteristics. If you don't use your paddles, the drivetrain goes to sport mode. It will still be an automatic, but the shift points and responsiveness will be changed for a more sporty feel. As soon as you use a paddle shifter, it changes to manual mode until you slide the shifter back to D.

Sport Mode through your button is essentially the same as sliding your shifter over, but it gives you Sport Chassis as well. It will alter responsiveness settings for things like traction control, stability control, and ABS. Most of these changes are minimal and wont be noticed, because they are still keeping safety in mind. The big difference is if you have M Suspension, because then you get stiffer suspension if you go to sport mode.

Braking with sport drivetrain will feel different because your adding in engine braking. The transmission is holding the gear when you brake vs in comfort mode it releases the gear when you brake (essentially putting it in a neutral state). This will cause your brakes to feel more sensitive or feel like they grab more because the engine is assisting. You will get this same feeling whether you have the shifter moved over, or you go into sport mode from comfort.

So in the end:
- By moving the shifter over while in comfort mode, you get the sport drivetrain settings, but comfort chassis settings.
- By leaving the shifter at D, and pushing the button from comfort to sport, you get sport drivetrain, and sport chassis.

I like being in sport drivetrain while in heavy traffic because I like the engine braking, it helps with those sudden stops. The engine braking is already slowing me down before I get my foot on the brake pedal. It also gives me quicker throttle response should I need it.

I have an M Sport with M Chassis, so I can tell my sport mode to give me both sport drivetrain and sport chassis (suspension), or one or the other, so I have it set so sport mode only gives me sport chassis, but leaves my drivetrain as if it was in comfort mode. That way I can have that sportier ride, without having a touchy gas pedal and shifting. If I want the sport drivetrain, then I just move the shifter over.
Appreciate the detailed info!

What happens if I press the “Sport” button and then move the shifter to the left to activate Sport as well? Do the features stack? If so, what’s the benefit of doing this?

Common myth I hear about Sport mode is that it eats gas more than in Comfort, any truth to this?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

After 68K miles, I don't think I've ever put my X5 in sport mode or manually shifted.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by florei0916 View Post
Appreciate the detailed info!

What happens if I press the “Sport” button and then move the shifter to the left to activate Sport as well? Do the features stack? If so, what’s the benefit of doing this?

Common myth I hear about Sport mode is that it eats gas more than in Comfort, any truth to this?
Once in sport mode if you move the shifter over nothing changes except the ability to use manual mode.

Yes, sport mode will have a negative impact on mileage. Not sure on how much. You wont enter overdrive in sport mode, and because the trans holds a gear on decel you'll be burning more fuel.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by florei0916
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one8
Once in sport mode if you move the shifter over nothing changes except the ability to use manual mode.
I believe from seeing some of the mapping charts and from a decade or more of having a BMW with the S/M and STEPTRONIC tranny...the S/M shift gate has its own affect on the transmission. If you select sport mode + move the shift lever over into the S or M gate...you do add to the experience....the transmission shifts differently (even with the SPORT/SPORT+ MODE driving experience button) versus if the gear shift lever is kept in D.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-10-2020 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
ems328i180.00
      03-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #13
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I believe from seeing some of the mapping charts...if you select sport mode + move the shift lever over into the S or M gate...you do add to the experience. You can engage the "kickdown" and there's a tranny hold at redline:

Thats Sport+, which is an additional mode that M Sport models have. And those features are only active if you're in manual mode (using paddles). Everything else stays the same when just moving the lever over.

Edit: It does look like some theres shift point and speed changes depending on the configuration. I'll have to play around and see if they are noticable.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats Sport+, which is an additional mode that M Sport models have. And those features are only active if you're in manual mode (using paddles). Everything else stays the same when just moving the lever over.
Take a look at the SPORT columns (not the sport+ column)...note that the transmission shifts differently when shifted over into the S gate (green highlights) versus when the tranny is in D (yellow highlights_...as well as if the M mode is utilized using the shift paddles or the gear shift lever.

And yes, some BMW models have additional driving experience modes (Sport + & Comfort +)...but those selections have their own affect on the overall driving experience (tranny kickdown and red line holding).
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-10-2020 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #15
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Take a look at the SPORT columns (not the sport= column)...note that the transmission shifts differently when in D vs S or M.
Yep I see that. I edited my original post. I tried each configuration type and didn't notice any difference between the sport options, but I'm going to try it again now that I know what to look for.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

From past discussions on this topic...it seems that the ultimate sport performance is to engage the Sport or Sport+ driving mode (depending on which one your model has)...and then engage the "sport" gate for the gear shift lever and possibly use the shift paddles or use the +/- position of the gear shift lever.

When you disengage either the driving experience mode button or move the gear shift lever back to D...starts to walk the sport performance back to normal (or YECK) ECO-PRO mode.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-10-2020 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:39 AM   #17
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

I tried each configuration last night on the way home to see if I could notice the shift response and speeds between the sport profile, DS sport, and manual mode. I didnt notice much, if any, change in shift response and shift speeds, but I also have a 35d M Sport and diesels shift a little different than a gasser, so maybe thats why. In a gas engine it may be more noticeable.

It is good to see that chart and get a visual of what is supposed to be happening with each configuration.
Appreciate 0