EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #1
F82ny
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4

F82 lowered on Swift springs - what's the worst that pothole damage can do?

I'm not stranger to driving lowered cars in New York, but I did hit a pothole on the highway on Long Island traveling around 70mph. This was in my F82 Comp. Package. As I was approaching the pothole it didn't look massive or deep by any means, but when my right tire went over it, it was extremely jarring and hard to the point where I pulled over to look for damage. The car didn't even really dip or sink that much when it hit the pothole. Anyway, I couldn't see any damage.

I was looking up some stuff online and a few body shops have said that hitting holes can cause frame/unibody damage.

"Something as simple as hitting a pothole at high speeds can damage your frame. "
https://venturacollisioncenter.net/c...s/frame-repair

"Collisions can oftentimes damage your car’s unibody alignment or frame, but there are subtler ways as well. This may include improper towing of the vehicle, hitting the curb or a deep pothole, running into a ditch, or cracks and rust damage."
https://collisioncenterofandover.com...ody-alignment/

Really, what's the likelihood that potholes can cause frame damage? I thought the control arms or subframe would be more susceptible to damage in such scenarios. Curious to hear what you guys have to say on this. I did have an M shop inspect the suspension post-pothole and they said everything looked fine (control arms, subframe, etc) but that the driver wheel inside was slightly bent - I think this was from before though as I remember another shop mentioning that.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
I mean I guess the worse that can happen is that your car sinks in and it destroys your front end? Must be a big and deep pothole though.

Usually a bent rim or bent suspension parts happen first. Pretty rare can hitting a pothole only damage your unibody and not anything else ( I don't think this is possible though).

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Other than the wheel, you might be able to feel any frame or suspension damage if the car doesn’t drive straight, has a weird feel, or is producing noises.

If the wheel is bent, go back, take a picture of the pothole and look online for a city claims form to get the wheel reimbursed for it being repaired/replaced.
Appreciate 0