Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

rear right strut replacement

Hey all,

Bent my rear right strut in an accident, insurance company is only replacing the damaged strut.

I have EDC and around 28k miles on the car, should i be replacing my other axle strut out of pocket as well?

How much will it run me?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Hey all,

Bent my rear right strut in an accident, insurance company is only replacing the damaged strut.

I have EDC and around 28k miles on the car, should i be replacing my other axle strut out of pocket as well?

How much will it run me?
Low mileage, just one damper will be fine.

Get a quote locally. The price will vary greatly depending on where you are.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Quote:
Hey all,

How much will it run me?
Low mileage, just one damper will be fine.

Get a quote locally. The price will vary greatly depending on where you are.
So you think it wont really affect much as the other damper isnt really worn much?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
So you think it wont really affect much as the other damper isnt really worn much?
28K miles. I don't think so. However, if you have really bad roads where you live, then it may be a good idea to replace the other one too.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

somewhere in the BMW technical documents its says both struts only need to be replaced if they have over 70,000KM on them otherwise replacing one is fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #6
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
somewhere in the BMW technical documents its says both struts only need to be replaced if they have over 70,000KM on them otherwise replacing one is fine.
Oh thank you very much for this, i will take a look at it soon.

In fact yes i read the replacement for them is at 140k so maybe i will keep it as is. It is very low miles
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:

In fact yes i read the replacement for them is at 140k so maybe i will keep it as is. It is very low miles
looks like you only need to replace both if the LIMIT VALUES are exceeded on one side of the axle for M models. Given your low mileage, I wouldn't worry but I guess BMW shops have a way of testing the shocks on a "shock tester" to verify the health of the unit.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nsion/1LTqEPBe

33 00 ...Information on replacing shock absorbers
Situation:

When a shock absorber is faulty on one side (leaking, noises, limit values exceeded on the shock tester), often both shock absorbers on the axle in question are replaced.

Effect:

This is not necessary for technical reasons and causes the manufacturer not to recognize the unnecessarily removed shock absorbers as defective parts. Unnecessarily high costs for the customer can be avoided by replacing the shock absorber on one side only.

Procedure:

If one shock absorber is damaged, it is only necessary to replace both shock absorbers when the car has driven in excess of 80 000 km.

Exception: On all M‐GmbH models, when a limit value is exceeded on one side, it is still necessary always to replace both shock absorbers on the relevant axle.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Quote:

looks like you only need to replace both if the LIMIT VALUES are exceeded on one side of the axle for M models. Given your low mileage, I wouldn't worry but I guess BMW shops have a way of testing the shocks on a "shock tester" to verify the health of the unit.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nsion/1LTqEPBe

33 00 ...Information on replacing shock absorbers
Situation:

When a shock absorber is faulty on one side (leaking, noises, [COLOR="Red"]limit values exceeded on the shock tester[/COLOR]), often both shock absorbers on the axle in question are replaced.

Effect:

This is not necessary for technical reasons and causes the manufacturer not to recognize the unnecessarily removed shock absorbers as defective parts. Unnecessarily high costs for the customer can be avoided by replacing the shock absorber on one side only.

Procedure:

If one shock absorber is damaged, it is only necessary to replace both shock absorbers when the car has driven in excess of 80 000 km.

Exception: On all M‐GmbH models, when a limit value is exceeded on one side, it is still necessary always to replace both shock absorbers on the relevant axle.
Thanks this is the post i was looking for.

I called and asked and the other one did not exceed the limits hence why the replacement was done for one.

I feel if both were out i would have just opted for full coilover set up, these oem struts are expensive.
Appreciate 0