Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
chrison600
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe

Seeking KW DDC Installation Advice

Hi all,

Next week I'm planning on installing a KW DDC coilover system on my 2015 M4. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on where to initially set the spring collars for best results. The instructions offer min/max settings as well as how to measure that, but nothing as far as a recommended inital setting. I imagine that's because individual preferences and intentions vary.

I'm not looking to get max drop, just reducing fender gap and gaining the enhancements of a dedicated, high-quality coilover system.

Anyone have any experience with this or advice for me?

Thanks,

Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Your DDC coilovers should be the same for adjustment height as my KW V3 coilovers. Of course, you will need to fine tune to your liking anyway.

Fronts are so easy to adjust that it almost makes no difference if you have a starting point or not. The rears are pain in the ass because the black threaded spring cup wants to spin on you when you turn the purple adjuster rings. To make it much easier to adjust, I use a ratchet strap around the spring and tighten the strap (compressing the springs) which takes tension off the adjustment rings and makes them much easier to turn.

My current settings are:
Front: 24 threads showing underneath the bottom of the purple spring collar (lock ring)
Rear: 7 threads showing between the top of the purple adjustment ring and the black anodized threaded spring cup.
On stock 19" 437 wheels and OEM tire sizes, from the ground to the bottom center of fender the front measures 25.25 inches and the rear 26". Or, from very center of wheel center cap to bottom edge of fender= 13.5" +/-1/8"

Here are pictures of the ride height with the settings mentioned above:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0