BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #1
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Methanol Injection question

I'm just asking this because all my lifts are tied up at my shop and this was easier.
I want to add Methanol Injection to my F85. We do a lot of Meth kits on late model Corvettes and always use the windshield washer reservoir with the pump mounted right below it. This way it's a straight gravity feed right to the pump.
Does anyone know if there is enough room to do this in the F85? I really don't want to run long lines to a reservoir in the back.
Either way, I'll make my own TFE stainless braided lines. I don't like those plastic compression fitting lines.
I also firmly believe in running 100% M1 Methanol rather than a water mix. I'd rather not have that inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

IMO I think you should make a kit providing this type of setup as an alternate because I haven't seen any other kind of kit for this platform other than the one that runs to the rear of the vehicle.
      01-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #3
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Down for a front mount kit!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

If there is room under the reservoir, there is no reason not to do it this way.
The pump is gravity fed and you don't have the big delay caused by a long line to the back of the vehicle.
I'll get it up on the rack later this week and see if it's viable.
I just bought Brembo calipers and mounting brackets for the rear, so I need to get it up in the air to install them anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:39 PM   #5
NikNala
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Unfortunately there isn't enough room under the reservoir as it's tucked in the front right fender extremely tight. I had the windshield washer pump grommet start leaking and that required me to remove the front right fender to repair it. It is extremely tight in the space.
Attached Images

01-05-2021, 11:18 PM   #6
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNala View Post
Unfortunately there isn't enough room under the reservoir as it's tucked in the front right fender extremely tight. I had the windshield washer pump grommet start leaking and that required me to remove the front right fender to repair it. It is extremely tight in the space.
This is great info. Thanks! BMW doesn't leave much room to add anything.
Pulling the fender would not scare me away at all. If I had to notch and weld the frame to fit a pump in there, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.
There also might be room to the inboard side of the tank, right up against the firewall. I'm reasonably talented in overcoming issues like this but I'm really fortunate in that I have a couple of excellent welders and fabricators that work for me. If it's possible, I believe we can do it.
I'm not even sure it's worth the effort, but I really enjoy doing one-off modifications that nobody else had tried.
Appreciate 1
NikNala75.00
      01-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

What about the drivers side fender well? The E70 drivers side front fender well has a ton of open space, perfect for a small meth tank. You can access it just by pulling the wheel well cover. Quite a few things changed on the F85 but also alot didn't so might check it out and see if that empty space is still there.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
Viper501
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘20 MB GLE 350W4, ‘

Or behind one side of the front bumper?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #9
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

I like the idea of using the windshield washer reservoir. The low fluid light will come on when it gets low.
If that's not viable, I'll find somewhere to mount a tank.
We could weld one up in stainless and make it any shape we want with mounting brackets.
Appreciate 0