BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-23-2021, 05:45 PM   #1
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Maxton Design- rear bumper side splitters. Not impressed...

I ordered a set of the Maxton Design- rear bumper "side splitters". I wanted to check them out, since I'm not totally sold on the OEM style. IMO BMW could have done a better job, when it comes to the styling of the OEM rear splitters.

Maxton box arrived today from Poland. Left me disappointment!
Right out of the box, not impressed with the packaging. Only got worse, seeing the quality of the product. Not that I expected anywhere near OEM quality considering the low price, still, I expected a bit more.

Top side of pieces were wrapped in a thin layer of plastic protective stick on film, that had wore off in places. Nothing in the box to protect them, except the plastic bag with the maxton name on it. No bubblewrap or foam etc. nothing separating the two pieces inside the bag.

Next, something pictures won't show you on their website. But these looks like they are basically heat shaped plastic sheeting. So the bottom edge is not rounded, just a cut off flat surface with sharp edges. Pieces have no finish on the bottom, just open "hollow" space. Also, no markings for where they recommend drilling for the 4 screws, that holds the "splitters" in place.
Though, at least they used a thicker plastic, and they are not that flimsy.

Product looks cheap, like something you would find in the $25 made in china bargain bin.

Had I designed them, they would at least be two pieces sandwiched together, to have a finished style, not like this. Yes cost would be higher, but it would also not look cheap, as it does now. Feels like wasted effort on a product that could have been so much better with a little bit of work.

I will have to do some tinkering with them, create a bottom piece or something, before I will have any interest in attaching them to my X5 bumper. Since they are made of ABS, I might try to just glue a sheet of ABS on the bottom, round off the edges, and see how it turns out..
Now I just need to find a good source for the ABS.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      02-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

You get what you pay for, right?
Appreciate 2
TOPEC216.50
1norseman399.50
      02-23-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
You get what you pay for, right?
Very true.
I wish there were more options out there, but slim pickings...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #4
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Wow those look pretty bad. I was considering their rear diffuser but glad I didn’t bite the bullet on it. Thanks for sharing your review and sorry to hear they are crappy.
Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport
Appreciate 2
1norseman399.50
P111593.00