BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

H-Pipe + X-Pipe Combo?

I read somewhere that an H-pipe early up the pipe near where the headers come down increases torque…

Couldn't I just splice in an H-pipe before the secondary cats, and leave my stock X-pipe as in order to have both?

Anyone do this to their exhaust system?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Cite your source, or else this is just garbage banter.

And in your mind, why do you think torque increases on our motors with an H-pipe?

-Duke

Last edited by DukeofAlexandria; 04-01-2021 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Well there are many sources online which suggest that an H-pipe would increase torque, at the expense of less high end horsepower.

I know some exhaust manufacturers move the x-pipe further up with claims that increases torque.

My question is if there if anyone has spliced in an H-pipe ahead of their secondary cats to utilize both (H-pipe and X-pipe) simultaneously.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #4
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Again, cite your literature and where you read that? Unless you can cite a hard number source or detailed engine specifications, this argument doesn't hold water.

Yes, they can increase torque, but only in lower compression engines; usually below the ~9.5:1 ratio. This is a well known thing and why scavenging using an x-pipe has been preferred since the early/mid 90's - early 2000's in many vehicles.

An S65 is a 12:1 compression in it's stock form, an H-pipe would most likely be detrimental to not only the engine pulses, but also the scavenging effect. Unless you can give me hard numbers, I just don't think an H-pipe is worth your time.

-Duke
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

The Akrapovic Evolution exhaust system which is designed specifically for the E9X M3, uses both and H and an X pipe.

Why would they do this if it didn't increase performance?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Because it's crapovic and they can charge people $3K+ for something that traditionally gives no noticeable gains in engines such as ours.

I don't know why they decided to do this, but I have a sinking suspicion that this is gimmicky as shit to say "oh, we have the ONLY H-pipe and X-pipe in the business around!".

If you're worried about torque/HP numbers, just go S/C or tune and test pipes, you'll be much happier - both in wallet and as far as sound goes.

-Duke

*Update* - Just read a thread where Evolve came out with one about 6 months after crapovic back in 2010....VERY sinking suspicion this is just a dick measuring contest at this point...caveat emptor.

Last edited by DukeofAlexandria; 04-01-2021 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-01-2021, 06:09 PM   #7
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I believe it was motor trend engine masters that did an engine dyno test with the different setups.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #8
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I believe it was motor trend engine masters that did an engine dyno test with the different setups.
Did they include an x/h pipe combo amongst the comparisons?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 06:42 PM   #9
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofAlexandria View Post
Again, cite your literature and where you read that? Unless you can cite a hard number source or detailed engine specifications, this argument doesn't hold water.

Yes, they can increase torque, but only in lower compression engines; usually below the ~9.5:1 ratio. This is a well known thing and why scavenging using an x-pipe has been preferred since the early/mid 90's - early 2000's in many vehicles.

An S65 is a 12:1 compression in it's stock form, an H-pipe would most likely be detrimental to not only the engine pulses, but also the scavenging effect. Unless you can give me hard numbers, I just don't think an H-pipe is worth your time.

-Duke
That Evolution system is closer to $6k retail, I think mainly because it's completely titanium (although now recently discontinued).

Dyno results would be ideal, and that's what I'm wondering about.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 06:42 PM   #10
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Did they include an x/h pipe combo amongst the comparisons?
Yes look up the video.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #11
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

I've been trying to find it since you mentioned it, but can't seem to find it.

Any chance you can post a link?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #12
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
I've been trying to find it since you mentioned it, but can't seem to find it.

Any chance you can post a link?
Found it: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5s8nr8

Hpipe gives 0.2 wtq more at 4300 rpm, but xpipe makes 1.3whp more at 6000rpm.
So almost negligeble difference.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 08:22 PM   #13
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

An H-pipe is a rudimentary X-pipe. So there would be zero benefit of having both in an exhaust system. The idea is to create a scavenging affect, but an H type connection does this with 90* angles vs. a smooth transition with an X design.

The Akrapovic system as been shown to have tuning issues and create less power than other catless x-pipes.
      04-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #14
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
An H-pipe is a rudimentary X-pipe. So there would be zero benefit of having both in an exhaust system. The idea is to create a scavenging affect, but an H type connection does this with 90* angles vs. a smooth transition with an X design.

The Akrapovic system as been shown to have tuning issues and create less power than other catless x-pipes.
special tunes have been developed that solve the issues and have been around for a long time ... it is not a mystery or a problem.

Arka has been proven over and over again to be one of the best solutions for the s65 and the standard evo is not catless
      04-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #15
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9001 View Post
special tunes have been developed that solve the issues and have been around for a long time ... it is not a mystery or a problem.

Arka has been proven over and over again to be one of the best solutions for the s65 and the standard evo is not catless
There are tunes that somewhat fix the power dip that was initially seen, but it still makes less power than a proper forwardly placed X-crossover. Its not been proven to do anything exceptional and is no different then any other x-pipe with an OEM crossover. Yes, its titanium and light. It does sound good, but the OP is asking about performance which the Akro is lacking.
      04-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #16
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9001 View Post

There are tunes that somewhat fix the power dip that was initially seen, but it still makes less power than a proper forwardly placed X-crossover. Its not been proven to do anything exceptional and is no different then any other x-pipe with an OEM crossover. Yes, its titanium and light. It does sound good, but the OP is asking about performance which the Akro is lacking.
Performance in a pure horsepower sense is a horrible argument for the S65 if you're staying NA. 15 wheel horsepower across the various different x pipe solutions is really negligible in overall performance of the car. I'd take an akra evo over something much heavier but that's because I focused on light weight over horsepower. FBO s65's are a joke. It's been said again and again, if you want horsepower get a blower or find a different car.

I'm not disagreeing that akra, as far as horsepower per dollar is concerned, is lacking but if you're focusing on driving dynamics as the theme of your build it's second to none.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 01:19 AM   #17
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Because it's crapovic and they can charge people $3K+ for something that traditionally gives no noticeable gains in engines such as ours.

I don't know why they decided to do this, but I have a sinking suspicion that this is gimmicky as shit to say "oh, we have the ONLY H-pipe and X-pipe in the business around!".

If you're worried about torque/HP numbers, just go S/C or tune and test pipes, you'll be much happier - both in wallet and as far as sound goes.

-Duke

*Update* - Just read a thread where Evolve came out with one about 6 months after crapovic back in 2010....VERY sinking suspicion this is just a dick measuring contest at this point...caveat emptor.
Crapovic? Good one. What is your qualm with the system? That it's overpriced or popular? Great logic. That kit is definitely one of the most premium aftermarket parts to be released on the e9x platform and I'm thankful it exists. No need to be a hater.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 02:42 AM   #18
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
Crapovic? Good one. What is your qualm with the system? That it's overpriced or popular? Great logic. That kit is definitely one of the most premium aftermarket parts to be released on the e9x platform and I'm thankful it exists. No need to be a hater.
Time and time again, the majority of people who install the akro have either been let down, or the tones don't come through with the titanium exhaust, or has had tuning issues. I've heard it, it sounds tinny sounding and not over all loud. It really isn't that popular with the E9X platform anymore, and much better options exist in todays market on a 10+ year old car.

Sorry to trigger you with my opinions, and apparently they mean I'm a 'hater'....great logic?

-Duke
Appreciate 1
tdott3956.00
      04-02-2021, 06:07 AM   #19
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:

-Duke
Qouting Blane Burnett, information sourced from superchevy.com, im assuming these guys know about V8 exhaust systems since the 327 has been around for 70 years now.

Duke, I mean karen you're annoying, the guy asked a question and you're harassing him talking about cite your sources, lol bro this isn't college the guy is just inquiring.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exh...ett%20explains.

"H-pipes typically offer increased backpressure compared to an X-pipe, which nets an increase in low-end torque. They are also more tunable because they offer more options in terms of the length of the crossover, the diameter of the tube, and the size and location of the transfer hole,"

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 08:21 AM   #20
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Quote:
Time and time again, the majority of people who install the akro have either been let down, or the tones don't come through with the titanium exhaust, or has had tuning issues. I've heard it, it sounds tinny sounding and not over all loud. It really isn't that popular with the E9X platform anymore, and much better options exist in todays market on a 10+ year old car.

Sorry to trigger you with my opinions, and apparently they mean I'm a 'hater'....great logic?

-Duke
First time I hear that someone has had adjustment problems when mounting an Akra evo exhaust LOL

Honestly, it's not the loudest exhaust on the market, it's true that only the rear silencer with the xpipe oem the sound is laughable. But the full akra evo line sounds great, exotic and not over the top. As some other colleague has commented, in addition to the gain in power, you take away a good peak of weight from the car and that is very interesting.

Alpinemss Tuned | Tecnocraft E9X ///M3 Envy™ Intake System | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | Ohlins Road&track| BBK Brembo 6p Front & Brembo 4p Rear| H&R Stabilisator| Solid subframe bushings| full spherical bushings| Recaro pole position
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 10:05 AM   #21
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Qouting Blane Burnett, information sourced from superchevy.com, im assuming these guys know about V8 exhaust systems since the 327 has been around for 70 years now.

Duke, I mean karen you're annoying, the guy asked a question and you're harassing him talking about cite your sources, lol bro this isn't college the guy is just inquiring.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exh...ett%20explains.

"H-pipes typically offer increased backpressure compared to an X-pipe, which nets an increase in low-end torque. They are also more tunable because they offer more options in terms of the length of the crossover, the diameter of the tube, and the size and location of the transfer hole,"
Ahhh, the ol' "it doesn't matter where the information came from" argument. Classic. In that case, air filters give you 10HP. Oh wait, they don't, because technical specifications and testing have been conducted in order to debunk that with hard numbers.

My apologies for asking for an actual numbers sheet instead of just believing whatever someone says. I even clarified later on that they don't do much based on our 12:1 compression.

P.S. - That article makes no mention of small block 327 chevy's, only of a high compression LS7 that actually uses an X-pipe, and when they do discuss the difference (see your link) they make no mention of what compression they are utilizing the X vs. H pipe. But me asking for actual data points is the issue....what a joke lol.

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #22
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:

My apologies for asking for an actual numbers sheet instead of just believing whatever someone says.

But me asking for actual data points is the issue....what a joke lol.

-Duke
See below DukeofAlexandria

Quote:
Cite your source, or else this is just garbage banter.

-Duke
quite necessary to be an asshole when someone is just asking for information no? Or is that just the way you choose to speak to everyone you come in contact with??

actually, based on this previous thread you created its easy to realize you are just a moody asshole.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...keofalexandria

Quote:
Again, sorry, was super tired last night and not in the best mood, my apologies.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0