BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-16-2021, 06:09 AM   #1
ncamg
Rep
Drives: X5M

Buying X5M off lease

Looking for a little help. I have a 2018 X5M and considering buying it when the lease ends. Not wild about the 2021 version. I have a couple of questions. First is what to expect from the dealer and if I should deal directly with BMW Financial Services. I checked with them and they said just send a check for the residual amount and that was all I needed to do. If I go through a dealer is it possible to get the vehicle CPOed and get a BMW extended warranty. The reason I ask about going through the dealer is to get a sense what others have experienced so I can determine if the dealer is providing a reasonable price. Second have any of you dealt directly with BMWFS. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, M3 ZCP, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
You can go thru the dealer to get CPO, but finance thru BMWFS. That is what, I did when I bought my X5 35i years ago, then traded it in for a my X5M. It was a great experience financing thru BMWFS, with no issues. At least for me.
      04-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
TZB///3
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '16 F80/ '19 G01/ '18 F85 BSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncamg View Post
Looking for a little help. I have a 2018 X5M and considering buying it when the lease ends. Not wild about the 2021 version. I have a couple of questions. First is what to expect from the dealer and if I should deal directly with BMW Financial Services. I checked with them and they said just send a check for the residual amount and that was all I needed to do. If I go through a dealer is it possible to get the vehicle CPOed and get a BMW extended warranty. The reason I ask about going through the dealer is to get a sense what others have experienced so I can determine if the dealer is providing a reasonable price. Second have any of you dealt directly with BMWFS. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Assuming you have good credit you should be good with BMWFS - they've been good to me for my last 3 BMWs. Keep in mind your residual is YOUR NON-NEGOTIABLE PRICE for your car and I'm sure you have it at a discount right now as used cars are currently at a premium. That is the price you either cut a check to them for or finance and IMO I would finance as rates are low right now and just keep(invest) your big chunk of change. ALSO NOTE (again - assuming you have good credit) you should shop around between BMW dealers for the BEST RATE possible rate (to finance) as some/most dealers "mark up" the interest rate provided by BMWFS. Don't know how much it cost to CPO but I'm guessing it's around $2-4k (I would also look into shopping around between dealers for that as well) and extended warranty should be around $3-4k (AFTER your CPO warranty). If you took good care of your F85 I would keep it as well!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Another thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZB///3 View Post
Assuming you have good credit you should be good with BMWFS - they've been good to me for my last 3 BMWs. Keep in mind your residual is YOUR NON-NEGOTIABLE PRICE for your car and I'm sure you have it at a discount right now as used cars are currently at a premium. That is the price you either cut a check to them for or finance and IMO I would finance as rates are low right now and just keep(invest) your big chunk of change. ALSO NOTE (again - assuming you have good credit) you should shop around between BMW dealers for the BEST RATE possible rate (to finance) as some/most dealers "mark up" the interest rate provided by BMWFS. Don't know how much it cost to CPO but I'm guessing it's around $2-4k (I would also look into shopping around between dealers for that as well) and extended warranty should be around $3-4k (AFTER your CPO warranty). If you took good care of your F85 I would keep it as well!
Yes, definitely shop around and negotiate as much as possible because you're "in the drivers seat" with nothing to lose.

I also recommend calling BMW NA to discuss the particulars of your warranties and maintenance. Not BMW FS, but BMW NA. Where they stand now, and how they can be extended. The reason for this is that in my own recent experience sometimes the dealers (even big highly rated ones like mine) sell you a contract that is self-serving and not aligned with BMW NA's standard protocol.

I had to fight to get my maintenance contract aligned where it should expire, after debating it with the finance manager who "couldn't do anything" for me. (They sold me 10 months for the price of 24 and never sent me the paperwork specifically outlining the expiration, but shortly after I owned teh vehicle I figured it out on my own.) Called BS and worked with the GM to get things resolved. But it was stressful, not the way buying a luxury vehicle from a "great" dealership should be...

After being out of car buying for a long time, I made some initial rookie mistakes. Some of those were assuming that buying from such a high-end/highly rated dealer provided more safety than it did. Also that I was protected through the CPO process and took an independent evaluation of the vehicle for granted. (Which you may still want to consider here) But after some unwarranted stress and aggravation, I ended up getting what is hopefully a great vehicle with some great coverage.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #5
ncamg
Rep

Thanks for the info. We ordered the car the way we wanted it so it fits that criteria. When the lease is up it will have 30K and is in great condition. We wrapped the entire front and the bottom of the doors and the rockers to protect against the sand blasting that others have experienced. I think that used prices right now are probably a little above my residual so I might have to deal with BMWFS. I will try to contact BMW NA about a warranty. If anyone has a phone number thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

BMW NA

Quote:
Thanks for the info. We ordered the car the way we wanted it so it fits that criteria. When the lease is up it will have 30K and is in great condition. We wrapped the entire front and the bottom of the doors and the rockers to protect against the sand blasting that others have experienced. I think that used prices right now are probably a little above my residual so I might have to deal with BMWFS. I will try to contact BMW NA about a warranty. If anyone has a phone number thanks in advance.
Depending on how you handled your original warranties and contracts as an owner will dictate how your extended contracts will be handled. Some will go by the original vehicle in-service date, and some go by the purchase date of the new contract. Just make sure that you fully understand that, because dealership and BMW NA don't necessarily speak the same exact language.

Here is their information:

BMW of North America, LLC
300 Chestnut Ridge Road

Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677-7731

Customer Relations
1-800-831-1117
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM ET
Friday: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM ET
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #7
m3fuz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M, 19 X3 30i, 03 C4S

I will echo the sentiment about 3rd party service contracts - some, if not many of them can be hell to work with. The local dealership called about "extending the warranty" on my wife's X3 (less than 2 years old, less than 10K miles) and I thought he was talking about CPO-ing the vehicle, so I called him back and he sent over all of this garbage for a completely separate company the dealership (well, the guy that owns the dealer flags at several dealerships) that has horrible reviews online.

Fortunately, one of my largest clients is an auto finance group and they said this specific company is garbage and that their asset recovery group is always battling them over something. If you are offered and do consider a 3rd party service agreement, do your homework.

Last edited by m3fuz; 04-16-2021 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #8
ncamg
Rep

So thanks for all the input. I called both BMWFS and BMWNA and found out:
1. BMW CPO is only available to second owners. If you buy off lease no go
2. BMW offers third party warranties using Assurant (?) but you have to go through dealers to buy the warranty not direct with BMWFS or NA
3. BMWFS no longer offers dealers a discount off the residual to resell to the original lessor.

So right now I am thinking that I will buy directly from BMWFS and price a third party warranty from Fidelity. They seem to have a good reputation.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #9
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Yes, buy directly from BMW. I suggest you finance through your credit union, most will match BMWFS rate, and they often offer the most comprehensive extended service contract (warranty) at the lowest price. Keep in mind that you can extend your warranty up until your factory warranty expires. You do not need it now, so don’t spend the money now.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #10
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Here are a few specials for you to look at. I've actually had my last three BMW's financed through BMWFS and have had no problem and even easier to deal with if trading your previous BMW in for a new one.

https://www.bmwusa.com/certified-pre...al-offers.html
      04-17-2021, 11:26 PM   #11
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
So thanks for all the input. I called both BMWFS and BMWNA and found out:
1. BMW CPO is only available to second owners. If you buy off lease no go
2. BMW offers third party warranties using Assurant (?) but you have to go through dealers to buy the warranty not direct with BMWFS or NA
3. BMWFS no longer offers dealers a discount off the residual to resell to the original lessor.

So right now I am thinking that I will buy directly from BMWFS and price a third party warranty from Fidelity. They seem to have a good reputation.
That is not accurate. I bought mine off lease and I added the CPO at time of contract. It's worth doing as it's less costly than any extended service contract . Only negative is you can't cancel it like a service contract for a prorated refund.

Your dealer is essentially doing an in and out. Technically when you buy your lease you are buying it from the original owner - BMW FS as the lessor. You're the lessee and not an owner so you would in fact be the second owner by title.

If your dealer is saying they can't do it then ask a different one. BMW of Dallas did mine. You will have to make sure the vehicle will pass the CPO checklist or you'll be spending money getting it in spec.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2021, 10:17 PM   #12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
On a lease do u get credit if you’ve used less miles than original lease?
2015 Porsche GT3
2004 Ferrari 360 Spider 6M
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:21 PM   #13
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8202632 View Post
No.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:24 PM   #14
Upurock
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8202632 View Post
Actually you do get credit. When I was returning my 540 I asked about that and they said it was something like $250 if you return with 2000+ less miles. But you can only use that credit towards new lease.
And I wasn’t talking to the dealer, I was talking to BMWFS
Appreciate 0