Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

Looking for ATL mechanic with bolt extraction experience

I was doing some suspension work and in the final stages of putting things back together I snapped 1 of the strut bolts that secure the reinforcement ring to the strut mount from the top of the tower. (picture will the yellow circles is for reference, not my picture but the bolt I snapped is the yellow circle on the right).

Of course shops don't want to provide an estimate for extracting it and I don't want to drop the car off and have them come back saying it's a 4 hour job when I know it's not, and then I'm also out the "inspection fee" for them looking at it.

Any backyard mechanics in Atlanta interested in taking on this job for a reasonable price? DM me if so and thanks for your help.
Attached Images

04-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Are you able to jam a flathead screwdriver in the top side of the broken stud and screw it out? You should be able to screw in or out since there's nothing blocking that stud on the bottom of the top mount.

If not, you can take the top mount out of the car (just like if you were doing a spring change), and then use a dremel to cut a flathead slot in the bottom of that stud that slightly sticks out of the bottom of the top mount and screw it out that way.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
Sahbatage503.50
      04-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Are you able to jam a flathead screwdriver in the top side of the broken stud and screw it out? You should be able to screw in or out since there's nothing blocking that stud on the bottom of the top mount.

If not, you can take the top mount out of the car (just like if you were doing a spring change), and then use a dremel to cut a flathead slot in the bottom of that stud that slightly sticks out of the bottom of the top mount and screw it out that way.
Maybe? It'd probably have to be a pretty small flathead and I imagine would take some force to indent it enough for the flathead to catch onto something. Any suggestions on method? I can only thinking of hammering a flathead into the bolt, but also fear it slips and ruins the hole threading or just breaks the flathead.

Also a good suggestion, I just fear taking it apart again cause I had so many issues with creaks and noises that I finally assembled it and everything was quiet.. but of course I had to ruin that by snapping a bolt.
      04-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
Maybe? It'd probably have to be a pretty small flathead and I imagine would take some force to indent it enough for the flathead to catch onto something. Any suggestions on method? I can only thinking of hammering a flathead into the bolt, but also fear it slips and ruins the hole threading or just breaks the flathead.
I'd just take a hammer and see if you can create a small indentation, just enough to get a little bit of bite. It's unlikely you're going to ruin the threads unless hammering directly on them strongly.

Quote:
Also a good suggestion, I just fear taking it apart again cause I had so many issues with creaks and noises that I finally assembled it and everything was quiet.. but of course I had to ruin that by snapping a bolt.
With how long it may take you to "figure out" how to do the first method, this might be faster. Once you get the stud out enough, you can use a pair of vise grips or channel locks to just grab the stud and spin it out if the screwdriver isn't catching very well.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
Sahbatage503.50
      04-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #5
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'd just take a hammer and see if you can create a small indentation, just enough to get a little bit of bite. It's unlikely you're going to ruin the threads unless hammering directly on them strongly.

Quote:
With how long it may take you to "figure out" how to do the first method, this might be faster. Once you get the stud out enough, you can use a pair of vise grips or channel locks to just grab the stud and spin it out if the screwdriver isn't catching very well.
Thanks man I appreciate it. I might try method 1 and if I don't make early progress then method 2 this weekend.
      04-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Look for the other pretty recent thread where the guy did the same thing. Very detailed instructions.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #7
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

All mechanics have bolt extraction experience.
If you ever hear a mechanic tell you they've never extracted a bolt, get back in your car and leave.
Appreciate 1
ntg442891.50
      04-22-2021, 06:56 AM   #8
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
If you ever hear a mechanic tell you they've never extracted a bolt, get back in your car and leave.
Couldn't have said it better myself
      04-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #9
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
They say they can do it, but won't commit to a reasonable time for repair and I know once I drop the car off I'm at their mercy and don't want to come back to a "4hr" job invoice.
      04-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #10
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=FaRKle!;27492421]I'd just take a hammer and see if you can create a small indentation, just enough to get a little bit of bite. It's unlikely you're going to ruin the threads unless hammering directly on them strongly.

Well I tried the hammer method today and it worked, sort of. I didn't use a lot of force at all but when I tapped a flathead into it a few times it popped out of the bottom, but also popped this piece out with it.

I guess this is what the 5 strut mount bolts screw into, any idea if I need to reinsert this from the top or underneath? FaRKle!
Attached Images

04-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well I tried the hammer method today and it worked, sort of. I didn't use a lot of force at all but when I tapped a flathead into it a few times it popped out of the bottom, but also popped this piece out with it.

I guess this is what the 5 strut mount bolts screw into, any idea if I need to reinsert this from the top or underneath? FaRKle!
Yes, you'd reinsert that from the bottom. Make sure to line up the splines with the indentations in the top mount so it grabs properly when screwing a new bolt into it.

Appreciate 1
Sahbatage503.50
      04-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #12
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, you'd reinsert that from the bottom. Make sure to line up the splines with the indentations in the top mount so it grabs properly when screwing a new bolt into it.
Perfect, thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it
      04-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #13
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Well us 3 bot hat guys have been fine all these years.,...your probably good with 4
I would just take the other 4 out lower the whole assemply then spin it out with pliers
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #14
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
Well us 3 bot hat guys have been fine all these years.,...your probably good with 4
I would just take the other 4 out lower the whole assemply then spin it out with pliers
I had the exact same thought! So I wasn't in a rush. I was finally about to pop out the broken bolt yesterday and replace it, I also replaced the other 4 just to be safe in case I over-torqued them too, compromising their strength without realizing it.