BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2021, 04:32 AM   #1
DJM911
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 30D M Sport

Wheel Colour Feedback Please

Hi all,

I have a Glacier Silver M Sport X5 with the factory colour finish (light grey inserts with diamond cut fronts) 20" BMW 469 M Double Spoke wheels.

As with many diamond cut wheels they corrode eventually, so I am planning a refurb. I'm not sure to go diamond cut again as I have been told its only a matter of time before they corrode again. So I am asking for everyone's feedback, so I diamond cut again, paint light grey or silver or black overall?

If anyone has images of their cars in same colour for reference it would be great too

Thanks!
2011 BMW 330D M Sport Touring Auto - Silver Grey (Previous)
2011 BMW X5 30D M Sport Silver Grey (Previous)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:41 AM   #2
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

Check my thread about custom wheels, you'll see my 469M with custom finish. Can't post link at the moment since I'm on mobile.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:43 AM   #3
Ascotgrun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I would avoid the diamond cut for the reasons you describe also because that finish is more difficult to repair if curbed. That and I just don't like shiny metal.

I have the same colour car and wheels and I'm going satin black when I get around to it. I'm changing wheels though. The cost of powder coating the original wheels is too close to the cost of just buying aftermarket in the color of choice. I think the resale value of OEM 469s would be much higher if they were original, so another reason not to mess with them if it can be avoided.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #4
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

By diamond cut do you mean machine finish? I've never had a problem with corrosion on OE machine finished wheels.

Your question is very much subjective. Go with whatever finish you prefer. I'd go with anything over black, but that's a personal preference. I don't like black wheels as they look dirty and help exaggerate fender gap. But many on here love black wheels, so your suggestions are going to be based on everyone else's preferences. Go with yours.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #5
kaonima
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM911 View Post
Hi all,

I have a Glacier Silver M Sport X5 with the factory colour finish (light grey inserts with diamond cut fronts) 20" BMW 469 M Double Spoke wheels.

As with many diamond cut wheels they corrode eventually, so I am planning a refurb. I'm not sure to go diamond cut again as I have been told its only a matter of time before they corrode again. So I am asking for everyone's feedback, so I diamond cut again, paint light grey or silver or black overall?

If anyone has images of their cars in same colour for reference it would be great too

Thanks!
black
Appreciate 0