BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

06-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Convert standard rear to M Sport rear after crash?

I was involved in a very minor fender bender the other day no one was hurt but the back of the car is smashed up the insurance company has informed me they're going to replace my entire rear bumper cover rear tailgate and my rear exhaust system because it damaged one of the mufflers. $1700 alone for the exhaust.

That got me thinking maybe I should swap out the backend to the M sport bumper?

I already have the white painted wheel arches, running boards, and I have staggered 20s on my car but I do not have the M sport package.

Basically instead of ordering the standard bumper and the standard exhaust I can order the M sport units I'm just curious if there's actually any benefit or change and sound or if it's all just cosmetic maybe it's not worth the hassle.

I'm not changing the front end so technically I'd wind up with M sport on the back of my car and the standard on the front but the car is older and I don't really care it would look cool from the back.

Any thoughts or opinions it looks like the parts are probably relatively similar in cost which ever way I went
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 10:22 PM   #2
dubs
Private
Rep
Drives: C63

I don't see why not Msport components to your original parts wouldn't have a substantial cost difference. For insurance claims most high end shops have a high mark up for parts and labor so they'd be willing to cover for an upgrade or two as long as the difference isn't overboard. A friend of mine had his F16 35i rear ended and the shop upgraded his M-sport exhaust to a MPE and his oem rear diffuser to a oem CF diffuser.

Last edited by dubs; 06-18-2021 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #3
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs View Post
I don't see why not Msport components to your original parts wouldn't have a substantial cost difference. For insurance claims most high end shops have a high mark up for parts and labor so they'd be willing to cover for an upgrade or two as long as the difference isn't overboard. A friend of mine had his F16 35i rear ended and the shop upgraded his M-sport exhaust to a MPE and his oem rear diffuser to a oem CF diffuser.
I am looking at the rear bumpers the only problem is I have the runningboards on the side which have black along the bottom and the M sport bumpers are all white I'll probably need to leave the poppers alone as it's not going to look right unless I changed the whole thing.

I probably could swap out to the MPE exhaust although it's my wife's car and if it gets a lot louder it might drive her crazy!!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

When it comes to the the bumper, you will also need new bumper brackets, and reflectors. But not much to it. All in all, there is quite a price difference, last I checked.

With the M-sport bumper, the exhaust openings will be "upside down", so you will need the M-sport exhaust too. This will give you a bit deeper tone. But it won't change much, and your wife might not even notice.

If you go to www.RealOEM.com, you can compare part#'s and figure out what you need, and google part#"s to figure out cost difference.

Now, if you really don't care about the looks, I would not change anything, just keep it stock, and save your money.

Though, IMO, the M-sport rear bumper cover, looks way nicer compared to the "diaper" style non M-sport bumper.

Last edited by 1norseman; 06-21-2021 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 09:16 PM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
you can just swap the tips out. Don't need the whole new exaust. Or even just have them weld on quad round tips.
And i would definitely do this. Cost should be negligible. I haven't looked at numbers but usually these large parts cost the same as whether base, m-sport, or M. Maybe $100-200 difference. I was looking at this when i wrecked my front corner to swap to the M front end. Bumpers were same cost but i was stuck in BFE and trying to have this small shop handle it all so didn't want to add the added stress.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
dubs40.50