BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
So I have a MY14 F15 35d, and about less than a month ago I have noticed that the steering wheel and the front passenger seat began vibrating (this is new to me as my vehicle has never vibrated like this and everything has been smooth). Although I am feeling this vibration, the engine and transmission are running smoothly, no weird sounds coming from either, and zero codes logged or stored. Transmission is running smooth, no issues shifting. I do put a lot of highway miles on it as well.

-I thought it was the engine mounts and the transmission mount (after inspections and video taping the engine, no movement so I doubt it is that)

-Next I though it might be the EGR system (ran test on it and it is not that. Although I am still going to take it out and clean it)

-Next, the Timing Chain Tensioner (not that, but I did replace it to the revised one as the older ones are trash.. according to forums)

-Next, ran test on the DPF system (negative, all is well)

-Thought, maybe its something with diesel quality (not that, and I did just put in a new diesel filter)

Lastly, decided to run some test with ISTA+ and before I start ordering anything I wanted to get the insight of people in the forum as this is my first time diagnosing my vehicle with ISTA+ in this manner.

What I observed from the test were (see attached por his I just took from test I ran)

-Injector for Cylinder 4 needs replacing.
Q: do I just change this injector and program the value, or should I just go ahead and change them all?

-Fuel injection rates for 3 & 4 are slightly below the others.
Q: Is this normal, or does it mean that possibly #3 is going bad too?

-Oxygen Sensor before C.C. Is reacting slowly.
Q: is this something I can take out and clean, or do I need to replace?

Thanks ahead for any help gents
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Injectors are pretty pricey so I would replace just one of them. I think you should be able to check and clean oxygen sensor for soot, if it doesn't work you can replace it. Before you dive into taking injectors out you can try this thing https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shots-Sec...dp/B00IUGFZJW/
See if it helps.
Appreciate 1
XxBBVTMxX295.00
      07-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #3
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Injectors are pretty pricey so I would replace just one of them. I think you should be able to check and clean oxygen sensor for soot, if it doesn't work you can replace it. Before you dive into taking injectors out you can try this thing https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shots-Sec...dp/B00IUGFZJW/
See if it helps.
As always, thanks RED_Y_

I'll give that a try first. Definitely take out the sensor here shortly.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #4
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

i have an EGR code on my x5d, same year (P0401). Where are you finding instructions on taking out and cleaning. I saw that it was something to check.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
i have an EGR code on my x5d, same year (P0401). Where are you finding instructions on taking out and cleaning. I saw that it was something to check.

Good luck!
You can find instructions on ISTA, or you can find videos on You Tube. Several there for N47/N57 engines.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 07:58 PM   #6
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d e90 2009

Run a double dose of hotshots extreme first. See if that helps the injector problem go away. If not then try to replace it. Cheaper than having to replace it right away. Doesn't hurt to try
Appreciate 1
XxBBVTMxX295.00
      07-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #7
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwal187 View Post
Run a double dose of hotshots extreme first. See if that helps the injector problem go away. If not then try to replace it. Cheaper than having to replace it right away. Doesn't hurt to try
Is this suggestion for the injector issue, or for the EGR? My code came back on today for P0401.

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 11:26 PM   #8
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is this suggestion for the injector issue, or for the EGR? My code came back on today for P0401.

Thx!
For injectors, if you have EGR issues go see your dealer, did you do the recall?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 04:38 PM   #9
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For injectors, if you have EGR issues go see your dealer, did you do the recall?
Yes - back in 19. After inspection, I found 3 lose items in the engine compartment - the air filter was not snapped shut, an intake hose was not clamped and more or less floating, and the 2 air intake that comes from the front grill was left unsnapped too. Now that I have connected all, the CEL has gone away. I still have a permanent EGR code, but no more CEL. Yes, it was a BMW dealer that did the work - in Fort Washington PA.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 05:52 PM   #10
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes - back in 19. After inspection, I found 3 lose items in the engine compartment - the air filter was not snapped shut, an intake hose was not clamped and more or less floating, and the 2 air intake that comes from the front grill was left unsnapped too. Now that I have connected all, the CEL has gone away. I still have a permanent EGR code, but no more CEL. Yes, it was a BMW dealer that did the work - in Fort Washington PA.
If you have an EGR issue, check out You Tube. They have a few videos there on how to clean your EGR valve. If you decide to go that route, make sure you get a new seal to put in there before you do and that's it ( BMW Part# 11717794785 )

Maybe your valve is stuck from so much carbon already 🤷🏽. I am about to do my EGR valve, Intake Manifold, & Intake Ports soon. Just trying to get my issue here situated first.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 08:58 PM   #11
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
If you have an EGR issue, check out You Tube. They have a few videos there on how to clean your EGR valve. If you decide to go that route, make sure you get a new seal to put in there before you do and that's it ( BMW Part# 11717794785 )

Maybe your valve is stuck from so much carbon already 🤷🏽. I am about to do my EGR valve, Intake Manifold, & Intake Ports soon. Just trying to get my issue here situated first.
I've watched - too much for me IMO. I'm looking for a good diesel person in the Philly area now.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #12
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So after 2 tanks of Diesel, Hot Shots, and stepping on it in the highway, I'm still having the same issue.

Ran more test today just to see, and the only 2 things that came back for me to work on is that same damn injector and the Swirl Flaps. I'm almost at 96k, so I'm actually doing a full tune up and cleaning once I get all my parts from FCP Euro.

Gonna put in new glow plugs and controller too. Also, my oil catch can has been working great I wonder if that is why my swirl flaps are not that bad 🤷🏽 (you Diesel experts can chime in and tell me your thoughts of these pics)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #13
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

if you never had carbon cleaning you need to do that first

has your EGR core been replaced under warranty?

throwing random parts at the problem is expensive and wont fix your issue,

you can always removed injectors 3-4 and soak the tips in gasoline overnight to clean them up,
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #14
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
if you never had carbon cleaning you need to do that first

has your EGR core been replaced under warranty?

throwing random parts at the problem is expensive and wont fix your issue,

you can always removed injectors 3-4 and soak the tips in gasoline overnight to clean them up,
My EGR Core was replaced under warranty already. I ran a test on the EGR Valve and everything works fine. The issue is that darn injector. But I am reaching 100k so I will be doing a full CBU service starting this weekend, just waiting to get all the new seals from FCP (what I meant by parts was seals, I am not doing any work if I cannot replace the seals)

I will also be replacing the glow plugs and controller since I'm at it. Just doing some maintenance as I have read that by 100k these are the usual things you want to do/replace.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #15
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've watched - too much for me IMO. I'm looking for a good diesel person in the Philly area now.
EGR replacement under being performed now by BMW under warranty. The "diesel" expert came in and read the same ODB2 codes I did after 48 hours in the shop with check engine light on. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #16
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just a quick update on things..

So I have ran Hot Shot's Diesel Extreme, followed by 4 fill-ups with 2oz of HS EDT at each fill. I changed where I fill up my diesel too, now filling up at Exxon as they claim their "Synergy Diesel Efficient" keeps the engine cleaner (deeper clean).

I changed my engine oil yesterday with 6.52125Qts of LM Top Tec 4200 & 12.12 FL OZ of CERATEC for a total of 6.9 Qts in the engine. I test drove it last night to no change.

After another test drive today, the engine is much quieter (I cannot hear the diesel pinging sound) and the vibration is almost fully gone 🙌🏽. I also do not see my passenger seat shaking and the steering wheel feel nice again.

I purchase my stuff from FCP, so will continue with this treatment like usual (5k changes).

I want to thank RED_Y_ & atwal187 for the tips to use the HS' as my RPMs are not bouncing around no more as well, and the engine idle is running smoothly again. I'm still planing to change out the motor mounts, but hey.. my X5 is back 😎.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:40 PM   #17
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d e90 2009

Glad to hear it worked out well 🙏🏻
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #18
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nice, glad you got it if fixed on the budget.
Appreciate 0