07-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #1
Franktea1$
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e39 540 sport & BMW X5M

Timing Chain Guides

Hi,

On my e39 540i Sport I changed the timing chain guides which was a time intensive job i would rather not repeat. I was wondering if the X5m has the same parts and issues? Are there any long term high mileage maintenance guides for these cars i should be aware of or where to look at some from BMW?

Thanks,
Frank
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Not remotely the same engine. While there are timing chains and guides, those are not a common issue on s63tu2
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
Franktea1$
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post
Not remotely the same engine. While there are timing chains and guides, those are not a common issue on s63tu2
Good to know thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 07:13 PM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franktea1$ View Post
Good to know thanks!
Ya the S63TU should be good to 200k+ on the guides. On my N63, which uses nearly identical guides to the S63TU, I pulled the heads at 138K to clean up all the carbon from the leaky valve stems and the guides looked great, now at 170K and still going.

Good thing too, as Procedure for changing them is the same for the n63/s63 and all TU variants...Roughly 40 hour job as engine must come out and near complete disassembly.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 01:46 AM   #5
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

The timing chain guides were a real issue in the M62 engines (V8 E39, X5-E53). My X5-E53 (2005) has the N62 engine and that does not have chain guide issues. Valve stem seals are an issue on the N62 but I changed mine without removing the heads using a tool that looks like the AGA tool but at a fraction of its cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:12 AM   #6
Franktea1$
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Ya the S63TU should be good to 200k+ on the guides. On my N63, which uses nearly identical guides to the S63TU, I pulled the heads at 138K to clean up all the carbon from the leaky valve stems and the guides looked great, now at 170K and still going.

Good thing too, as Procedure for changing them is the same for the n63/s63 and all TU variants...Roughly 40 hour job as engine must come out and near complete disassembly.
Thanks for the feedback, when I did the e39 took me 35 hours. Curious why did the engine have to be removed?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franktea1$ View Post
Thanks for the feedback, when I did the e39 took me 35 hours. Curious why did the engine have to be removed?
You have to remove the cylinder heads to be able to remove the front timing case cover. Technically you could do in car but it would take longer then removing the engine and be an exercise in pain. I removed the heads without pulling the engine because I didn't have a Lift at the time (BMW's ISTA states to remove engine for that too and now I know why), and overall it took longer then if I would have just pulled the engine, requiring the use of a 90 degree borescope and custom made rachet extensions and a 90 degree driver to access the lower intake manifold bolts (s63tu uses same lower intakes).

I had 15 hours alone in removing and installing the lower intakes and making custom tools to access the bolts while it was in car. Not only do you have to remove the nuts that hold on the intakes, but you have to remove the studs from the cylinder head so the head can slide past the lower intake when removing them as there is not enough room otherwise.
The frame is essentially the same on the F85 as the E70 do if you look down where the lower intakes are, you can see how close it gets to the frame rail and steering rack. Putting it back together is even more fun, not recommended to do without a lift unless your crazy or a masochist, or little bit of both like I appear to be .

Removing and installing the lower intakes when the engine is out of the car takes about 20min btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #8
Franktea1$
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
You have to remove the cylinder heads to be able to remove the front timing case cover. Technically you could do in car but it would take longer then removing the engine and be an exercise in pain. I removed the heads without pulling the engine because I didn't have a Lift at the time (BMW's ISTA states to remove engine for that too and now I know why), and overall it took longer then if I would have just pulled the engine, requiring the use of a 90 degree borescope and custom made rachet extensions and a 90 degree driver to access the lower intake manifold bolts (s63tu uses same lower intakes).

I had 15 hours alone in removing and installing the lower intakes and making custom tools to access the bolts while it was in car. Not only do you have to remove the nuts that hold on the intakes, but you have to remove the studs from the cylinder head so the head can slide past the lower intake when removing them as there is not enough room otherwise.
The frame is essentially the same on the F85 as the E70 do if you look down where the lower intakes are, you can see how close it gets to the frame rail and steering rack. Putting it back together is even more fun, not recommended to do without a lift unless your crazy or a masochist, or little bit of both like I appear to be .

Removing and installing the lower intakes when the engine is out of the car takes about 20min btw.
This it the love / hate issue with German Cars, over engineered. I do all my own work except tires If and when this problem occurs i'll look for a lift thanks! Good to know others our out there fixing things!
Appreciate 0