BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
kevinberry1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X540e

eDrive not engaging

I have a 2016 Xdrive40e with 58k miles. I have owned it since 12/2019 with no issues. A few days ago I noticed the engine stayed on at red lights and the eDrive wasn't engaging. I can usually drive to work with 75% or more of the commute being on electric, so it was noticeable. I searched the forum and could not find anything similar to what is happening. There is no CE light on and no other issues. Nothing has been done since an oil change 5 or so months ago. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by kevinberry1; 08-22-2021 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinberry1 View Post
I have a 2016 Xdrive40e with 58k miles. I have owned it since 12/2019 with no issues. A few days ago I noticed the engine stayed on at red lights and the eDrive wasn't engaging. I can usually drive to work with 75% or more of the commute being on electric, so it was noticeable. I searched the forum and could not find anything similar to what is happening. There is no CE light on and no other issues. Nothing has been done since an oil change 5 or so months ago. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
Yup, I and several others have had this issue. When was the last time either of your 12v batteries were changed? You have two back in the boot, one regular car sized 12 battery and one smaller auxiliary 12v battery. The links below should help you, but it's probably your auxiliary 12 battery and considering that you have a '16, we're at the life expectancy for those batteries and they need to be replaced.
  1. My original thread
  2. Discussion on finding an auxiliary battery
  3. Where you can buy it

And unlike the main 12v battery, it doesn't seem that you need to register the auxiliary battery (but I think you can through bimmercode).
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
kevinberry1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroy View Post
Yup, I and several others have had this issue. When was the last time either of your 12v batteries were changed? You have two back in the boot, one regular car sized 12 battery and one smaller auxiliary 12v battery. The links below should help you, but it's probably your auxiliary 12 battery and considering that you have a '16, we're at the life expectancy for those batteries and they need to be replaced.
  1. My original thread
  2. Discussion on finding an auxiliary battery
  3. Where you can buy it

And unlike the main 12v battery, it doesn't seem that you need to register the auxiliary battery (but I think you can through bimmercode).
Thank you!! I literally just found a post on here via google search lol, and was reading yours and c00lbeans posts. The battery on Rockauto is now $241 so I will have to shop around and see if maybe it can be found locally. I appreciate the help and will follow up!
Appreciate 1
corduroy110.00
      08-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
kevinberry1
Registered
Rep

I searched all over online and found that summit racing had the aux battery for $154. Rock auto lists it at $241 currently (8/22/21). Just wanted to share to save others some time.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-ln1agm
Appreciate 1
corduroy110.00
      12-15-2022, 03:37 PM   #5
jmcrunk5837
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 40e

Confused about info on batteries

Hey guys,

The RockAuto site says the battery works on the i8, and the ACDelco site says it's compatible with Cadillac and Chevrolet models of vehicles. Did you experience any issues with your batteries? My BMW dealership says there is not a purchaseable battery in the US or even in Germany.
Appreciate 0