BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #1
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Eventuri plenum install, issues with engine misfiring as well as whistle sound

Guys, finally got around to getting one of the eventuri carbon plenums. I have installed it and reinstalled it but somehow it seems to going into limp mode and give a misfire condition on cylinder 1. Previously no issues on a 42K miles motor with plugs and bearings done about 7k miles ago. I think there must be a vacuum leak issue with the plenum but I have checked all connections to make sure they are snug and they are including tightening all the connections. There seems to be a noticeable whistle sound on idle. Car seems to idle perfectly, once you start driving it hesitates a little then it goes into limp mode after a few pulls.

I really want this to work but suspect the fitment is not perfect somewhere. anyone else have similar issues? Only mods are benvo tune which has worked flawlessly before and a dinan intake and bmw m exhaust.

About to reinstall the oem plenum to see if it solves these issues...

also wish there were some better detailed install instructions. Like, buy a temp sensor vs trying to remove the oem one.... tilt front to get front connector in, then get back connector in before tightenign down the center.

Any help would be great, also found out mycarly no longer works on my s5 so need to get a new connector to use with my iphone....
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I put back on the oem plenum, all the misfire codes went away including the whistle sound. So looks like either the plenum has a leak or is not sitting in like oem causing that sound. Will try again but I noticed that the oem plenum sits down more flush with the throttle bodies. Like some have said, they wish the lower piece was oem and the upper carbon, now I know why.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6734.50
      08-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Put water into the plenum and slosh it around, see if it leaks from any of the joints.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

If you don't want to put water in it then get a smoke machine and seal it as best you can.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:37 PM   #5
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

I have the Karbonius plenum so take this for what's it's worth…

I did have to loosen the worm clamps more than I thought I should and put a little lubricant on the inside of the throttle body couplers to get the plenum to seat all the way down. From what I recall, the Eventuri plenum is a pretty direct copy of the OEM unit so it should sit just as low.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 11:05 PM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

something went wrong with the install. one of the boots maybe folded over, or you didn't connect all the vents/vacuum lines.
      08-22-2021, 11:54 PM   #7
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
something went wrong with the install. one of the boots maybe folded over, or you didn't connect all the vents/vacuum lines.
Just tried to reinstall multiple times. Loosened the clamps a bunch. Put some teflon tape to see how far the tubes engage and eureka, this is the issue. At least this plenum does not line up with the boots, used lubricant and still no luck. Almost have a rocking motion back and forth, it wont seat properly.

I took out a level to see if the tubes are level and they are perfectly level.

I took the oem plenum and it slips on much easier and into place but I did notice even the oem one has a small gap between the tubes and the boots but very small compared to the eventuri. Welcome to any ideas how to get this to work.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 12:14 AM   #8
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

I'd guess there's a leak around one of the trumpets seeing how they are just bonded to the base.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 02:05 AM   #9
jamabdi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW G80 M3 xDrive

When installing mine I had to loosen the clamps much more than I needed for the oem plenum. I would push down one side and the other side would pop off the throttle bodies. I ended up having someone hold the plenum down so I could focus on tightening the clamps. Just took a look at mine and took a photo so you can compare to yours to see if there's any discrepancy after installation. It could be you got one that just doesn't fit the way it should.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 02:19 AM   #10
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I'd guess there's a leak around one of the trumpets seeing how they are just bonded to the base.
Yes that is what it seems like. Here is a short video of the sound at idle. Since reinstalling a couple of more time. I can get rid of the whistle at idle but once I accelerate, you can hear the whistle and the engine stumbles due to the leak.

That is the one thing hate modding a car, you don't get the same tolerances like an OEM part. I think the plenum is just not designed for the variations in all motors like the oem one is. I will give it another go tomorrow to see if I can install it with no leaks,
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #11
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamabdi View Post
When installing mine I had to loosen the clamps much more than I needed for the oem plenum. I would push down one side and the other side would pop off the throttle bodies. I ended up having someone hold the plenum down so I could focus on tightening the clamps. Just took a look at mine and took a photo so you can compare to yours to see if there's any discrepancy after installation. It could be you got one that just doesn't fit the way it should.
Thanks that is very helpful. Mine even in one side does not seat that tightly at all. I get the rocking motion. When I push the passenger side firewall side it seems to seat down but everywhere else is now way out. Did you push down on one side tighten then proceed to try and get the other ones to seat properly then tighten? Just doesn’t seem like he other side will go down even if I do that. I will give it try by over loosening all the clamps. And see if I can get it to work.

One odd thing on mine. I can’t get the driver side firewall to seat down no matter how hard I push even with none of the hoses connected. Did yours go in?
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 01:35 AM   #12
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Well here is the update, I took Jamabdi advice. Over opened all of the clamps to almost falling off. This did allow the manifold sit a bit lower but still not like OEM. Then when I tightened one side the other would lift up. Ended up finding a solution using corks to hold down the corners while I tightened. This helped alot. Still the fitment is definitely not OEM. The stock one just slips in and you can feel positive engagement. The eventuri goes in but not the same.

Seems like tightening order matters as well, started at the back then, front then middle. Even after all of this work there still seems to be a very minor whistle sound. I test drove the car, seems like the ecu still needs to relearn as i reset and cleared the codes. It now drives without CEL but still has some minor stubling when accelerating but wow the noise it makes above 5K at full throttle. Even downshift blips are louder.

I will see how if the driveability gets better. At least for those in future looking at this mod, it is not as simple unless the tolerances fit your motor perfectly.

Some tips

- Just buy a new IAT sensor, not worth it to pry stock one out without damaging it. If you do want to do it, remove rectangular piece holding it down then with a screwdriver gently pry it out.

- to remove plenum, loosen all clamps, IAT sensor, rear hose, then the PCV valve hose. Installing is same order, put pcv hose on first, there is not enough slack to put on after manifold is installed.

- Make your life easy, remove all the front cowl and cabin air filter, strut bars and intake box, makes access much easier.

Would I do it again, I guess I will see if the ecu relearns the new air flow but hard to say until I have driven it some more. Thanks for everyone's help here.

Here are some pics.

Wine corks on both sides under strut bar mounts

All reinstalled back.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #13
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

youre doing something wrong, you can run this car with a open plenum and it wouldnt matter.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #14
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
youre doing something wrong, you can run this car with a open plenum and it wouldnt matter.
I am not getting any codes except misfire which of course happened this morning again. This is really frustrating. Maybe it is the IAT sensor but it does not show that as an error. I have a new one coming today and will swap that to see if it makes a difference.

When I swap it to the oem plenum I have zero issues, and the whistling sound makes me suspect a vacuum leak. The fit is still not great so. The plenum should not be able to rock back and forth, yet it does, I took a flashlight to make sure the middle ones are not folded in and it does not seem so. Also the tightening feels fine and it gets tight too….
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 12:35 AM   #15
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Well after another reinstall I did get the plenum as low as possible and it seem to feel much better but still got the whistling sound even after getting everything tight. I localized the sound to the front of the box.

Driver side looks decent

Same on passenger side

I measured the openings, they are actually .4mm smaller than the stock plenum, consistently on all holes. 68.5M for eventuri, 68.9 for stock

I think the issue is the newer elbow design. You can see it is a plastic elbow with a rubber gromet. The prior elbow was glued to the plenum and was solid. The oem is similar.

You see how a tiny space gets created when I bend the elbow. Well as most who have installed a plenum, there is not much slack in the hose. So when you actually get it on, it is actually tugging at the elbow and I believe it deforms the gromet to make a leak. This is the whistling sound I am hearing when I give it throttle. There is no issue with the stock or the previous version because the elbow is solid so even if the hose tugs on it, it can't cause a leak.

I am going to ask IND to check with Eventuri to see if I can either get the prior version or modify this somehow.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 01:19 AM   #16
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Any pics of the inside of the plenum? I wanna see if they have improved how they attach the trumpets to the base.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #17
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

"You see how a tiny space gets created when I bend the elbow. Well as most who have installed a plenum, there is not much slack in the hose. So when you actually get it on, it is actually tugging at the elbow and I believe it deforms the gromet to make a leak. This is the whistling sound I am hearing when I give it throttle. There is no issue with the stock or the previous version because the elbow is solid so even if the hose tugs on it, it can't cause a leak."

Is this an assumption or have you confirmed? Fill the gap with grease maybe and see if that makes the whistling go away to confirm. It doesn't seem to me that any of the hose fittings are exactly air tight, even in oem form but I could be wrong.

From my understanding, the prior solid fitting elbow was made of cf and snapped off in some early iterations. I recently installed the plenum as well and have no whistling. I did use some lube on outer perimeter of the throttle body mounts to help them slide into place.
      08-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #18
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Convertible - Sakhir

Wow I’ve just paid a lot of money for the plenum and induction kit I hope it fits like OEM as that’s what all the literature says.

Hope I don’t have loads of issues with them
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #19
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
"You see how a tiny space gets created when I bend the elbow. Well as most who have installed a plenum, there is not much slack in the hose. So when you actually get it on, it is actually tugging at the elbow and I believe it deforms the gromet to make a leak. This is the whistling sound I am hearing when I give it throttle. There is no issue with the stock or the previous version because the elbow is solid so even if the hose tugs on it, it can't cause a leak."

Is this an assumption or have you confirmed? Fill the gap with grease maybe and see if that makes the whistling go away to confirm. It doesn't seem to me that any of the hose fittings are exactly air tight, even in oem form but I could be wrong.

From my understanding, the prior solid fitting elbow was made of cf and snapped off in some early iterations. I recently installed the plenum as well and have no whistling. I did use some lube on outer perimeter of the throttle body mounts to help them slide into place.
All fittings are supposed to be close to air tight or you will get a vaccuum leak. Any amount of vaccuum leak on S65 or S85 will cause misfire or stumbling

I used lube for the center openings and open up the clamps more than normal and slid them all in place. Was able to finally tighten all of those areas down.

Sounds was coming from the front of the plenum and you can make it go away by pulling back on the elbow to create a better seal. Which is why it does not constantly make a sound. Putting grease there wont help as it will get sucked in.

Anyways Eventuri and IND are awesome, they are taking back the plenum to inspect and fix any issues. The tightness might also be from where the elbow is positioned. On some they were positioned too far away so that might also be the issue though my oem elbow feels just as tight with the hose tugging on the elbow when installed but since the oem is solid, no leaks can happen.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #20
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Any pics of the inside of the plenum? I wanna see if they have improved how they attach the trumpets to the base.
Sorry didn’t take many as that issue was on one of the early ones. Seems like they have not had any issues since.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #21
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Wow you have a lot of perseverance. I would have gotten fed up and quit much quicker than you.

Also glad IND is helping you out. Everyone moans about their prices but they sell their service with those prices not just a product.

Hope it all gets sorted for you but definitely makes me rethink wanting this setup.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #22
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Wow you have a lot of perseverance. I would have gotten fed up and quit much quicker than you.

Also glad IND is helping you out. Everyone moans about their prices but they sell their service with those prices not just a product.

Hope it all gets sorted for you but definitely makes me rethink wanting this setup.
When you experience the sound, you just have to find a way to make it work. For the few pulls i could get off before the CEL, wow, when people say it is loud, it is loud, easily drowns out my M performance exhaust.

IND is awesome, I have been pretty much buying all my stuff through them. They custom painted my brembo BBK, also ordered a new rear bumper from them that matched perfectly. Need to get the front euro bumper from them next….

For the setup, i think i either got unlucky that my car’s tolerances were at the extreme as the factory plenum stretches that hose as well. They have sold a lot of these without issue so I would not hesitate to get one.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 1