BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-31-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
kentuckynet
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 528i

2014 BMW X5 need additional keyfob, help

Hello, can i program a second keyfob for my bmw x5, i only have one.
The instructions i find on google all talk about models with a key, mine is the push button start,
thanks for some help i cant seem to find
mack
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

No...unless you have some really good equipment plus understand the whole EWS communication process and how the ISN (individual serial number) that is assigned to multiple components MUST match before the car will start.

You've already run across info that has your head in a tizzy because they are making claims that you assume may work for you (they won't). The early EWS systems used in the E generation BMWs may have been hacked and a few people out there actually can make a key if they get your EWS control module so that they can retrieve the data. But the F chassis BMW models have more encrypted technology that many make claims but what you end up with is a useless BMW trinket.

Also, the starting immobilizing system (EWS) is a completely different feature of your remote fob that also contains FZV (central locking/unlocking) features that communicate with the CAS module...along with the comfort access features.

Unless you know what you're doing and have the equipment and know how...its' best to payup to a BMW dealership and order a new key for your BMW which will be based off your VIN.

By the time you try to buy the equipment, learn what you need to do to try get your encrypted data, and find a blank remote fob that you can actually write it to...save the time and headache and just order a new one from BMW.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
Ascotgrun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Call a few locksmiths and see what they can do. The non BMW dealer where I bought my car had a locksmith come out and make a second key. It was a pretty involved process. He had to remove a module from the car and had it in the back of his van for about 35-45 mins.

No clue what the locksmith charged the dealer, but I was getting quotes of $700-900 (not incl programming) from local BMW dealers for a new key.
Appreciate 0