BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2021, 11:27 PM   #1
Stuka Mensch
Registered
Rep
Drives: F15 2015 50i, 1971 Mustang

2015 X5 50i Oil level sensor

edit: 2015 xdrive 50i w/ 49k miles

Had my oil changed at the Nissan dealership where I have family that works, I provided the filter and 2 5 qts of oil as usual just to keep the cost minimal.

The next day I got the minimum oil level warning I measured it on level surface still said 5 qts. I got a quart and put half in and it went away, so I put the rest in, but when I measured it again it said 5 still.

Is the sensor bad if it didn't change? and is it catastrophic having that extra quart if so until I can get an appointment at BMW.

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by Stuka Mensch; 09-24-2021 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 12:36 AM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Checking oil level:
1. Park vehicle on a horizontal surface
2. Allow engine to run at operating temperature for three minutes with increased engine speed (approx. 1100 rpm)
3. Read off oil level in instrument cluster or on control display
4. Top up engine oil if necessary

Note 1: In step 2 above, you must allow engine oil to reach operating temperature, and then run engine at 1100 RPM for 3 minutes.....oil temperature is accessible via the instrument cluster's "hidden" menu

Note 2: It's beneficial to account for quantity of oil as it's being added, rather to rely solely on the electronic dipstick.

--------------------
Oil level measurement
Result of the measurement Oil quantity up to MAX
Oil level below minimum: Top up with 1 litre of oil. Then repeat the measurement, more oil may possibly need to be added. more than 1.3 litres
Oil level at minimum: Top up with 1 litre of oil. approx. 1,2 litres
Oil level OK: 1/4 above minimum. Topping up oil not necessary. approx. 0,9 litres
Oil level OK: 1/2 above minimum. Topping up oil not necessary. approx. 0,7 litres
Oil level OK: 3/4 above minimum. Topping up oil not necessary. approx. 0.4 litres
Oil level OK: at maximum. Do not top up oil
------ Attention: The sensor does not identify overfilling!
------ Prerequisites for oil level measurement:

- Oil temperature at operating temperature.
- Engine at idle or driving
- The result is available after one minute if the measurement is started manually (see Owner's Handbook)
- while driving, the result will take at least 20 minutes (depending on driving style)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I know it may be obvious to you…but since we’re not there and don’t know every question you asked etc….did you inquire with the Nissan dealership if they used BOTH 5 quart containers…especially since the car is telling you it only had half of the oil? I ask because Nissan may not be familiar with the unusually large amount of oil BMWs require. Most Nissan engines probably use 4-5 quarts of oil…and using 10 quarts may seem strange to them.

Also, what does the oil level screen look like? Ive never seen it recommend anything over 2 quarts of oil..so the request for 5 quarts seems strange to me. Is the oil level display at MIN…or is it below MIN? You can see in the chart below how much oil is required based on where the oil level registers on the screen. This is the same info posted above by M_Bimmer.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-25-2021 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0