R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-07-2022, 01:29 AM   #1
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

hey everyone i have bmw m4 2016 dct , i been chasing this issue for a year now , i have a viberation in the steering wheel shudder start from 40 mph and get worse at 70 mph , also when i start braking i get viberation as well about the same speed

thing i tried to fix it
- new front rotors and pads , replaced twice , one with oem pads and other one with rsl29 pads , it fixed the brakes viberation and it came back after a week and both of
- did alignments like 3 times
- road force balance 3 times as well
- new apex wheels and tire setup
- replaced motor mount
- replaced differential bushing
- i went to different shops and they couldn't find an issue and also checked all the suspension compents no issue , also checked the calipars and everything is fine and checked the wheel hub as well no play
- anyone have an. similar issue found a solution?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 02:34 PM   #2
F80_Steve
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 Comp Pack

@dodospor are you heavy on the brakes? Do you do a lot of fast road/ spirited driving? the OE pads don't tend to like hot temps and will leave deposits on the disc, this can lead to vibration. I had a similar issue and changed out my front discs for true 2 piece floating rotors by EBC, no vibration at all now. Hope you sort the issue👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 02:40 PM   #3
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Steve View Post
@dodospor are you heavy on the brakes? Do you do a lot of fast road/ spirited driving? the OE pads don't tend to like hot temps and will leave deposits on the disc, this can lead to vibration. I had a similar issue and changed out my front discs for true 2 piece floating rotors by EBC, no vibration at all now. Hope you sort the issue👍🏻
did you had the viberation in the steering wheel as well , but the first set i had with oem pads and the second set was with rsl29 pads
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
F80_Steve
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 Comp Pack

I maybe had a slight vibration in the steering wheel but not to the extent that it visually moved, obviously if you're feeling vibration from the front of the car you're going to feel it in your hands through the wheel. I currently run Pagid RSL29's too when driving on track (far to noisy for road use) and feredo DS2500 for the road but properly bedding any pads in is important. Does it feel worse on one particular side than the other? maybe try removing disc and check that the hub face is free from debris of any kind stopping them disc from having a nice flush fit.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Steve View Post
I maybe had a slight vibration in the steering wheel but not to the extent that it visually moved, obviously if you're feeling vibration from the front of the car you're going to feel it in your hands through the wheel. I currently run Pagid RSL29's too when driving on track (far to noisy for road use) and feredo DS2500 for the road but properly bedding any pads in is important. Does it feel worse on one particular side than the other? maybe try removing disc and check that the hub face is free from debris of any kind stopping them disc from having a nice flush fit.
okay thank you , i guess i will start with replacing hubs and get 2 piece rotors , hopefully that will fix it
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2022, 08:40 AM   #6
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Heya,

Have you looked at the steering rack? I didn't see it on your list.

I have heard of and read about bad racks or rack busings causing similar issues. I cannot seem to find any specific isses related to the f80, but it is something to maybe look into?

good luck!
josh
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 04:40 PM   #7
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
Heya,

Have you looked at the steering rack? I didn't see it on your list.

I have heard of and read about bad racks or rack busings causing similar issues. I cannot seem to find any specific isses related to the f80, but it is something to maybe look into?

good luck!
josh
okay, i will look into that , thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 09:33 PM   #8
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Are you running wheel spacers?
Appreciate 0