BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2022, 10:47 AM   #1
Deen435d
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d xDrive M-Sport Plus

Hi all,

So I've posted bits and bobs, but thought I'd reach out properly for help (brace for a long post haha).

I bought an X5M out here in Dubai a couple of months ago. Absolutely love it. It's a great car for the petrolhead and the family man in me. As an expat here, and new to the country, I made the ultimate rookie mistake of trusting a local private seller. Took the car into BMW for some front pads and discs and an oil leak (still unresolved), which is where they tell me that there are obvious signs that the car had previously been involved in a heavy accident(s), blah blah blah.

At the time of buying it, the seller swore on his mother's life prior to selling the car that it was a clean no accident car, etc. I've messaged him after, naturally he's disappeared (not really surprised). Anyway, it is what it is. Lesson learnt. #VentOver

I'm keeping the car for a good few years so need to sort out the following issues:

Issue 1:
Got the car back from BMW after front pads and discs being replaced and investigating an oil leak (which I paid for but they didn't fix - that's a separate issue!). Car comes to me on a recovery truck and I jump in. Low and behold, it's misfiring, with the engine light on the dash and the drivetrain malfunction warning on the display. BMW aren't taking responsibility, and since it's my only car, I can't sit around waiting for them to maybe help out. I've googled it and searched the forums. Scanned it with the BimmerLink app and my Veepeak. Shows the following:

13 Motor electronics 2
6 errors
140010: Misfire, multiple cylinders: detected
140001: Misfiring, multiple cylinders: Injection is switched off 140310: Misfire, cylinder 3: detected
140301: Misfire, cylinder 3: Injection is switched off
140410: Misfire, cylinder 4: detected
140401: Misfire, cylinder 4: Injection is switched off

I'm leading towards thinking that the Coils are on their way out. I'm currently on 134k kms (83k miles). Spark plugs were changed by BMW as part of the routine service last year about 15k kms (9k miles) ago, so don't think it'll be them. Will try to take the coils out and swap them around to see if the misfire follows. Any thoughts?

(Side note: which way are the cylinder numbered?)

Issue 2:
I was driving at about 80kph (50mph) and hit a high kerb (don't ask!). Blew 2 tyres and the restraint system warning came up on the display. No airbags and to be honest, it didn't feel like a crazy hit, despite the speed. Again, scanned with the Bimmerlink and it shows:

01 Airbag
1 error
930994: Safety battery terminal: resistance too great

Tried clearing the code, but it's not clearing. Googled it and it seems like it's the BST cable. Any thoughts?

Any help is massively appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
x5M - SS
Rep
Drives: 16' X5M

i would pull some of the spark plugs and inspect them in addition to checking the coils. seems a little early for plugs, but i just had the same problem at about 15k-20k on the plugs.

not sure on the airbag issue.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2022, 11:46 AM   #3
Deen435d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5M - SS View Post
i would pull some of the spark plugs and inspect them in addition to checking the coils. seems a little early for plugs, but i just had the same problem at about 15k-20k on the plugs.

not sure on the airbag issue.
Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to confirm it is the spark plugs or coils without physically pulling them? Or do I play the swapsies game and determine if it is the spark plugs or the coils?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 01:44 PM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen435d View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to confirm it is the spark plugs or coils without physically pulling them? Or do I play the swapsies game and determine if it is the spark plugs or the coils?
Best is just swap them around to test as this platform is one of the easiest to swap coils on. Takes only a few min to get covers or stuff out of the way and just reach in and pull em. Good video on this from a forum member below.

Couple of tips: "twist" each coil slight back and forth to help the boot release from the spark plug before you pull up the release tab and pull on it. You will only be able to twist it a few degrees as there a guides that keep it from rotating to far but this helps greatly if they are stuck on.

Be careful and pull slowly when the coil first comes loose as to allow the wiring harness to complete come out before fully removing the coil.

Look closely inside your coils and make sure the small spring is still inside. This spring is actually what wraps around the spark plug. These springs can fall out on older coils

When seating the coil, ensure the coil is not hitting the coil guides on valve covers.

You should feel a very hard stop when seating the coils, then is springs up just slightly, this is the top of the coil hitting the spark plug and the connection spring engaging. Press down fully several times to ensure a good connection.

My gut tells me they didn't install the coils correctly or you have a vacuum leak for multiple cylinders failing at the same time. I would monitor fuel rail pressure between the banks next of everything else checks out. You can also try swapping the MAF sensors if problems persist.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 04-07-2022 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
musa424.00
      04-07-2022, 02:12 PM   #5
Deen435d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen435d View Post
Best is just swap them around to test as this platform is one of the easiest to swap coils on. Takes only a few min to get covers or stuff out of the way and just reach in and pull em. Good video on this from a forum member below.

Couple of tips: "twist" each coil slight back and forth to help the boot release from the spark plug before you pull up the release tab and pull on it. You will only be able to twist it a few degrees as there a guides that keep it from rotating to far but this helps greatly if they are stuck on.

Be careful and pull slowly when the coil first comes loose as to allow the wiring harness to complete come out before fully removing the coil.

Look closely inside your coils and make sure the small spring is still inside. This spring is actually what wraps around the spark plug. These springs can fall out on older coils

When seating the coil, ensure the coil is not hitting the coil guides on valve covers.

You should feel a very hard stop when seating the coils, then is springs up just slightly, this is the top of the coil hitting the spark plug and the connection spring engaging. Press down fully several times to ensure a good connection.

My gut tells me they didn't install the coils correctly or you have a vacuum leak for multiple cylinders failing at the same time. I would monitor fuel rail pressure between the banks next of everything else checks out. You can also try swapping the MAF sensors if problems persist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply. I'm about to go and swap the coils around, so will take everything into consideration and report back.

Massively appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Hey.. thats me in that video.. lol.

Plugs and coils to start, but at that mileage is be also worried and injectors and or hpfp as i stated in the fb post. Swap coil locations and see if follows. For the cost id just replace coils and plugs again for good measure.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2022, 04:03 PM   #7
Deen435d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post

Plugs and coils to start, but at that mileage is be also worried and injectors and or hpfp as i stated in the fb post. Swap coil locations and see if follows. For the cost id just replace coils and plugs again for good measure.
Hey dude, I found your video on YouTube and thought I recognised the name and the colour haha. Used your video as a guide - super helpful, thank you.

Literally took 10 mins to swap the coils on the left bank. Low and behold, the misfire followed the coils. Hopefully will grab some from BMW tomorrow.

Tbh, I'm likely to do all 8 just as preventative maintenance incase they're haven't previously been done (I'm sure they haven't).

Will hold off the plugs for now, they get changed as part of my BMW service pack, and I think they'll get changed on my next service.

Again, many thanks to you and the other members for helping out!

Now, about this restraint system warning… 👀🥲
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 04:07 PM   #8
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Appreciate 0