BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #1
rileyk1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M6 Convertible

Just purchased 2010 M6 and am running into the convertible top issue. Should I return

I just purchased a 2010 M6 convertible with 28,000 miles over the weekend and as I was pulling out of the lot the issue came up where it said top not locked and the trunk would not open. The dealership held onto it until Monday when their service tech came in and fixed it so I went to pick it up. Was driving on the highway today when about 15 minutes in it popped up again and said reduce speed top not locked. Went back home and it has fixed on its own. I took the car to an M specialty mechanic before purchasing it and he said it was a clean car. I have not attempted the fix with an allen key or by pushing the rear sensor because it has fixed on its own. I have until tonight to return the car for a full refund and was hoping to get some opinions. If the issue has popped up twice in the last week should I be worried and bring it back while I still can? It seems to be a common issue with a fix that can be sometimes quick and easy or sometimes expensive and a pain.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:11 PM   #2
ex46fanatic
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci F06 640i GC both LCI

Not many people have the experience to work on tops. Most of the time its wiring related - which is what yours sounds like.

Try and get the codes read by a proper BMW scanner see what comes up.

Some years ago I replaced the soft top wiring loom on my e46 when it started playing up, 8 hours across 2 days it took me doing it slowly. It can be done in a day. It's all depends on you really, on how good you are at solving problems cost effectively... Everything has a solution. For me it cost a new £120 loom at the time... Same E46 still running strong today with fully working top.

Another thing, low mileage 2010 is more suspect to me than it is positive.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:43 PM   #3
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
It's an M6, so some people very likely use it as a weekend toy and it doesn't come out much. If you bought it in Cali, it probably lived with the top down in the garage and only came out when it was nice enough to leave the top down. I'd return it or have the selling dealer take care of the diag and repair of the problem. It can get real expensive real fast.
Appreciate 0