European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #1
alpinefd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Lap Belt Harness Mounting

How do you guys do the lapbelt harness mounting?
Since the stock seat belt mounts to the seat base.

With a VAC floor mount, it seems the only way is to use an eye bolt (m8 x 1.25) which is not a common size for seat belt mounting eye bolts.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 04:59 PM   #2
alpinefd
Private
United_States
Rep

any suggestions guys
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Not sure if this helps but here is my VAC setup. To get everything to fit and avoid clearance issues this was the only config I could get to work after speaking to VAC on two occasions. It's finally set up well.
The lap belt adapter/mounting bracket had to be mounted under the floor mount to avoid clearance issues with the bolt/nut hitting the bottom of the seat when sliding back and forth.

Last edited by MaX PL; 11-20-2022 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I use BK mounts on OEM sliders and they have a specific place to insert the lap belts
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 02:43 AM   #5
alpinefd
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
Not sure if this helps but here is my VAC setup. To get everything to fit and avoid clearance issues this was the only config I could get to work after speaking to VAC on two occasions. It's finally set up well.
The lap belt adapter/mounting bracket had to be mounted under the floor mount to avoid clearance issues with the bolt/nut hitting the bottom of the seat when sliding back and forth.

very nice ! underneath the adapter is a great idea, i should give it a try.

Does both your harness end and stock seat belt end pivot on that bolt? How did you get it to pivot freely using the vac mounting hole.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #6
alpinefd
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post

with the VAC mount underneath the seat adapter it will act as a spacer on the rear of the seat adapter, did you have to make a spacer for the front of the floor adapter?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 09:43 PM   #7
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinefd View Post
very nice ! underneath the adapter is a great idea, i should give it a try.
Does both your harness end and stock seat belt end pivot on that bolt? How did you get it to pivot freely using the vac mounting hole.
No, they do not pivot freely. The stock seat belt end especially as it has a tab at the end which forces you do basically leave it in one position.
The harness end can likely pivot but I have everything tightened down firmly as I don't need it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinefd View Post
with the VAC mount underneath the seat adapter it will act as a spacer on the rear of the seat adapter, did you have to make a spacer for the front of the floor adapter?
No, I dont have a spacer at the front. Ultimately you'd need spacers front and back on the other side as well if you wanted everything perfectly level.
I found thats its not at all necessary and the seat is completely level.
If you want to use spacers you'd need them in the three other places whether you mount the adapter under the floor bracket or above. Just use some large washers if you absolutely want to do this.
Appreciate 0